Gallbladder Surgery - After what to eat??

Options
awal2069
awal2069 Posts: 101 Member
Hi there!
Looks like I will soon be losing an organ... my gallbladder has to go. What is the general recovery time and what do you guys and gals have suggestions on what to eat afterwards? Any suggestions on this are appreciated! Thanks yall! ;)

Replies

• awal2069
    Options
    Anybody? :wink: :bigsmile:
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I had emergency surgery to have mine removed when I was 20. I was out of work for 2 weeks and went back taking it kind of easy for the first week. I ended up with a drain for the first week of recovery (a tube with like a plastic ball at the end that fills up with fluid that you have to empty) because it was an emergency surgery and it was twice the size of a normal one. Since yours is a planned surgery, you probably won't end up with that. The doctor really didn't tell me any dietary restrictions, but greasy food will make me really sick and a couple of strange things, like iceberg lettuce. It can kind of vary from person to person, but just start off kind of plain afterwards, stuff like rice or potatoes, then gradually go back to eating like normal. It's a pretty easy surgery and you feel so much better afterwards!
  • awal2069
    Options
    OK Thank you so much for the reply! Really good to know where to start.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Mine was also emergency surgery when I was 20 years old and I can't remember how long I took off. Maybe a week or two.

I was told to eat a low fat diet, avoiding greasy and fatty foods. Works for me.
  • carbar90
    carbar90 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hey! I had my gallbladder removed a year and a half ago. It took me about a week before I was able to sit up and dress myself and go back to work/school. I can't remember what the enzyme is that they recommend for post-surgery but I got it at the Health food store and it's supposed to be really good for helping your body to digest foods without the gallbladder. For the first week I was mostly on a liquid diet, soups, smoothies, juices.. although it wouldn't be impossible to eat whole foods you want to re-introduce foods slowly, especially fatty foods that need bile to be broken down.

Hope your surgery and recovery time go smoothly!
  • awal2069
    Options
    Thanks MFP's!!! I really appreciate the feedback. As this is pretty common surgery I figured you all would know the right answers. Thanks again!! :heart: :wink: :heart:
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    Looks like I will soon be losing an organ... my gallbladder has to go. What is the general recovery time and what do you guys and gals have suggestions on what to eat afterwards? Any suggestions on this are appreciated! Thanks yall! ;)

I would go with what your doctor tells you to eat while you heal up. Then you can go back to whatever is normal for you.
  • dietarysupervisor
    Options
    I had mine out last June. About 3-4 weeks recovery time.Avoid heavy lifting and I still followed a low fat diet till I was healed up. Switched from ice cream to frozen yogurt better for you and other then that you should be able to eat what ever you want. Everyone is different but the trick is to reintroduce foods that used to bother you one at a time and see how you do. Good Luck
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I had mine done about 2 years ago. I was off work for 2 days.

didn't do any working out for 3-4 weeks.

Lay off the fats for awhile...

Will recommend pills that have bile extract if you have stomach problems. I got mine from whole foods, but any health store have them. My dr. was the one that told me about them. Basically you take them before you eat and it adds some extra bile to your system, they worked AMAZING.. if I didn't take them for about the first year after my surgery....

I'd be here for awhile:::

sitting_on_toilet.gif
  • awal2069
    Options

Will recommend pills that have bile extract if you have stomach problems. I got mine from whole foods, but any health store have them. My dr. was the one that told me about them. Basically you take them before you eat and it adds some extra bile to your system, they worked AMAZING.. if I didn't take them for about the first year after my surgery....

sitting_on_toilet.gif

Bahahahhahahaa!! Love it. Will check those out for sure! Thanks for the tip. 2 days - I can handle that ;)
    Thanks again for all the input yall
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options

sitting_on_toilet.gif

Bahahahhahahaa!! Love it. Will check those out for sure! Thanks for the tip. 2 days - I can handle that ;)
    Thanks again for all the input yall

I work at a data center and sit at a Desk. If you have to move around a lot it might be a bit longer, otherwise pop a pill and get to work :-D
  • Tallulahbelle2011
    Tallulahbelle2011 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed last November, I was off work for two weeks. The first couple of days I pretty much slept (anasthetics really knock me for six lol!) and it took another few days to be able to sit up without it being a bit painful - the incisions from the outside are so tiny (I have 4 all about 1cm long) that it's easy to forget that they go all the way through and that they have rummaged round inside you! I found I felt quite bloated for the first couple of days - they pump air into your abdomen during surgery to give them some room to manouver - and I didn't have much of an appetite. I stuck to plain simple things, rice cakes with a little smear of honey, toast, pears, yoghurt.....my first 'meal' was fishfingers, peas and mashed potato as thats what I really wanted lol! I found that little and often worked well, and I watch my fat levels (the less fat the less bile is needed to break it down). I also don't eat a lot of dairy, I use soya products, as dairy was one of my 'triggers' for attacks and I have never switched back. I read lots of info on google before I had my surgery, and read lots of horror stories about 'dumping syndrome' and I was terrified that would happen to me, but (touch wood) so far I have been ok!
  • rstephie
    rstephie Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I had gall bladder surgery when I was 17 because of my unhealthy choices and bad eating habits. I used to eat a lot of junkfood and greesy fastfood. I was obese weighting almost 220 lbs. Started having horrible pains on my lower back and stomach to the point where I was literally lying on the floor crying. Finally get diagnosed with gallstones. After brief discusion with Doctor he said the best thing would be to remove the gall bladder to remove the `problem` so that I may never get any gall stones again. I was young and did not know much about health and trusted in the doctors advice. He said we didn`t really need the gallbladder and I will never get anymore pain. He also said I needed to change my diet and reduce my fat intake after surgery.

Well...after recovery which was so painful (I was bedridden for almost 2 weeks) everything seemed normal until I started eating normally again. Sure no more gallstone pain... but almost everything I ate gave me stomach aches and pain, even worse unpleasant bowel movements. It was not very pleasant to eat anymore. I could no longer eat my favorite dishes without having digestion problems afterwards. Over the years I learned more and more about healthy eating. Stopped eating unhealthy fast and junk food, lost weight. I am now 145lbs. I still suffer from small stomach discomfort after eating almost daily. Does not matter how healthy you eat.. All fats including Olive oil, cheeses, coconut oil, flax oil, any oil itself or fat in any food is always going to be hard for your stomach to digest so you will have temporary upset stomach and digestion problems. You have to change your diet completely. You have to eliminate unhealthy fats, junk food and fast greasy food from your diet. It`s hard. I know, but it`s doable. I am now a pescetarian and eat an all organic food diet with mostly veggies, fruits, grains, nuts and legumes. I try to eat as healthy as I can. Different foods give you different reactions.

I am telling you my story in order to help you and warn you of the consequences of having gall bladder surgery. I actually REGRET having the surgery. If I was more informed and knowledgeable about the body, health and healthy living I would have definitely chosen to give my body a CHANCE and tried to change my diet and lifestyle instead of removing an essential organ from my body. If I was informed of the side effects or symptoms I would suffer and how it would change my life I would have preferred to get HEALTHY, make the changes I needed to make and let my body heal itself. The reason we get ill is almost always your body warning you about the way you are not taking care of it properly. I made that happen by eating the way I was eating out of ignorance. The worse part is, you can still get gallstones without your gallbladder! That is why changing your diet is a must. Now I know better and eat healthy but it`s too late. I could never have my gallbladder back. God put it there for a purpose. Please consider the choice you have and research and get more information first. Be an informed patient. Here are some links that might help:

The Purpose of the Gallbladder
    http://hgriggs.org/gall_purpose.html

Living without your gallbladder
    http://livingwithoutagallbladder.net/having-your-gallbladder-removed-risks-benefits/

Foods to avoid
    http://livingwithoutagallbladder.net/foods-to-avoid-when-you-don’t-have-a-gallbladder/

Life without your gallbladder
    http://www.stltoday.com/suburban-journals/metro/life/house-call-life-without-your-gallbladder/article_46f73843-d1fb-5a4b-80a5-e17a6ab439f6.html

Discussion on gall bladder surgery
    http://www.steadyhealth.com/Gall_Bladder_Removal___Long_Term_Health_Issues_t79613.html

Again I am telling you this because I would have wished someone would have told me this before I went and had the surgery. It would have avoided the problems I have had because of it. Not everyone has the same reactions but most people have had these side effects. Hope you will make the right choice for you and that you may recover soon. :-)
  • sethysgirl
    Options
    My Gal bladder was removed when I was 21 with emergency surgery, it was really full of stones and I had pancreatitus with it. The first few days were the worst, especially after I found out I was allergic to the pain medication. I was out of pain by 2 weeks and doing my normal activity within a month. However, even though it was (oh god) almost 7 years ago, I still have to avoid grease. It just makes my stomach temperamental for a few days.
    My Fiancee also had his out 2-3 years ago, when he was 28-29. Because of how bad his pancreatitus was (105 temp, pale, etc), he wasn't back on his feet for 3 weeks about and was completely better in two months. He also cannot handle grease.
    It varies per person, but I would just take it easy for a little bit after and wait until you are ready.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Almost forgot about the gas part...they inflate you with gas so that they can move everything around inside of you and when you lay down it settles in your shoulders and is extremely painful. The only way to make it better is to toot it out...fairly embarrassing but you won't even care because it will make you feel better.
  • barefootbeautiful
    Options
    Quick reply: I was down for about 4 days, but it took about a year to get the eating situated. I can't eat anything with grease or I get sick. Tomatoes and dairy set me off in the beginning, and anything spicy is out. I also can't eat bananas now (weird).

And get ready for what my husband refers to as the "chump and dump" syndrome - I tend to need to use the restroom within half an hour of eating. Don't know why my digestion has settled into this nice little rhythm, but there it is. I don't eat on the road or in the car or anywhere there aren't facilities.

You're going to want to stock up on gas-x and possibly immodium for a while, or the natural equivalent thereof. You'll get gassy very easily, and because of the new and different digestion.... you get the idea. Good luck! :)
  • blondemom1979
    blondemom1979 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I had mine out laprascopicaly pretty much no healing time for me, I was a new mom and back on my feet doing the same old stuff after one day at my Mom's to recover. I also found the worst thing was the pain in my shoulders after, it was pretty uncomfortable. I found the the iceburg lettuce really bothered me too but the worst for me was the horrible diarrhea. Almost every time I ate, no matter what I ate I had to run for the bathroom shortly after....and I do mean run! It lasted a long time too( well over a year), but with time it got better, except when I eat fast food or other greasy fatty stuff, which I try to stay away from.
  • kelp99
    kelp99 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I had mine out about 2 years ago via emergency surgery. I spent a week in the hospital due to pancreatitis on top of the gall stones, but the day after my surgery they sent me home with a drain and I was out of work for 2 more weeks. After the surgery it was discovered that one of the gallstones I had was the size of a golf ball, and I had an accessory hepatic duct [two bile ducts] which is rare. But even with that I had no dietary restrictions, in fact right after my surgery when they returned me to my room they brought me dinner. [I'd been in such pain the week prior that they had me on IV and wouldn't let me eat anything]. Anyway dinner consisted of mac and cheese and a veggie - both of which I ate ravenously and neither had any negative affects. I did find that I was very very very gassy for a long time after the surgery.

Also, as long as I ate on a schedule and followed it exactly, I could avoid the run to the bathroom. For a while certain foods would upset my stomach regardless of me sticking to my eating schedule, so I avoided them. After about a year I found I could anything & everything again. However, even now if I wait too long to eat then regardless of what it is I have to visit the bathroom shortly after.

Everybody is different so unless your doctor tells you otherwise, I say go ahead and eat what you want, just eat a little at a time. You should not have to completely revamp your diet unless you want to. Eventually your body will adapt and you should be fine.
  • rugrisham
    rugrisham Posts: 14
    Options
    I had mine out two years ago almost to the day. I had it done laprascopicaly and was down for two days. While I haven't had any issues with food at all. (it had gotten to the point that if I even looked at food with any sort of grease in it I'd have pain before) I almost wish I did have discomfort eating food Key word almost mostly because I am an over eater and really enjoy eating and that is one of the reasons my weight loss journey has been so slow. I have also noticed I spend a lot more time in the bathroom and especially with fast food rather soon after I have consumed a fatty food I need to go pretty quick. I hope you have a safe surgery and great recovery.
  • awal2069
    Options
    Thanks again for the replies. I have had lapro surgery before for an ovarian cyst so I am ok with that... and my tummy issues are already at the degree to what it sounds like recovery will be like from many of your responses. Been dealing with tummy issues for a while, I just thought it was my norm... who knew?
    My diet has changed for the better for about 6 months (been trying for a year) but tracking off and on and I try to stay away from grease already. My problem is living in Texas - the Mexican food. Oh and I am already lactose intolerant too, so I drink almond milk.
    Guess it will be a trial and error type of thing. Even if the doc says eat what you want, I am going to try to stick to what has been working for me already in that department... LOL.
    THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL THE RESPONSES. Hopefully it will be a smooth recovery *knock on wood* and be back to work in a few days.