anyone have any Crockpot recipes?

Options
ms1badtk
ms1badtk Posts: 2
Hello, all i love to use my crockpot/slowcooker to make great healthy meals does any one have any healthy recipes that they can post.

Thanks
Tina

Replies

• maleva720
    maleva720 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My favorite is to put boneless, skinless chicken breasts in and add reduced fat italian dressing. Thats it! Then I'll make rice and a vegetable on the side. Sometimes I'll add carrots and potatoes to the crock pot to have a whole meal already made.

I also enjoy slow cooking pork chops with tomato sauce then I just have to make pasta to put it over.
  • FocusPlease
    FocusPlease Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If you eat meat, you can get a pork shoulder/loin (thawed) and cover it with your favorite salsa, stir it occasionally, so the meat falls apart. It makes great soft tacos with your favorite fixin's.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    A family favorite! '

serves 6

slow cook lasagna

No need to cook the noodles first or stay home while it bakes. Just let it sit a few minutes before serving so it can firm up a bit.

Ingredients

1 pound(s) uncooked lean ground beef (with 7% fat) use 4% if you can find it
    1 small onion(s), chopped
    1 medium garlic clove(s), minced
    28 oz canned crushed tomatoes
    15 oz canned tomato sauce
    1 tsp table salt
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1/2 tsp dried basil
    1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
    1 cup(s) part-skim ricotta cheese
    1 1/2 cup(s) part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded,
    divided 6 item(s) dry lasagna noodles, no-cook ( I use whole wheat regular lasagna noodles, but still dont cook them first)
    1/2 cup(s) shredded Parmesan cheese, strong-flavored like Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano

Instructions

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef, onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon as it cooks, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, oregano, basil and red pepper flakes; simmer 5 minutes to allow flavors to blend.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together ricotta cheese and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.

Spoon 1/3 of beef mixture into a 5-quart slow cooker. Break 3 lasagna sheets in half and arrange over beef mixture; top with half of ricotta mixture. Repeat with another layer and finish with remaining 1/3 of beef mixture.

Cover slow cooker and cook on low setting for 4 to 6 hours. Turn off slow cooker and add any seasoning to taste ( I always hadd a little more garlic myself:wink: )

In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese; sprinkle over beef mixture. Cover and set aside until cheese melts and lasagna firms up, about 10 minutes.

Yields 1/6th of dish per serving
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I should add thats its about 500 calories per serving which is a really healthy size!
  • xtina11179
    xtina11179 Posts: 352
    Options
    If you eat meat, you can get a pork shoulder/loin (thawed) and cover it with your favorite salsa, stir it occasionally, so the meat falls apart. It makes great soft tacos with your favorite fixin's.

This sounds fantastic!! I am going to have to try it!!
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    My favorite is to put boneless, skinless chicken breasts in and add reduced fat italian dressing. Thats it! Then I'll make rice and a vegetable on the side. Sometimes I'll add carrots and potatoes to the crock pot to have a whole meal already made.

I also enjoy slow cooking pork chops with tomato sauce then I just have to make pasta to put it over.

How many breasts? How much dressing? And how long do you set the pot for? Sorry. Lots of questions, but it sounds good.:laugh:
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    the slow cook lasagna sounds incredible!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I just tossed in some chicken thighs and added in some bbq sauce a little bit ago, smells good. I had bought the thighs over the weekend and didn't want to heat the house with the oven so figured I'd cook them up while I'm doing other things tonight.

All HAIL to the Crockpot during the Summer months!!:drinker: Ok, the Winter months too as the smells wafting through the house make it so homey. Though using the oven in the Winter I don't mind at all.:wink:
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Tina, if you go back, on this actual topic, there is a thread where someone actually asked the same question and a LOT of people answered. (you may have to go back a little bit). But I think there were a ton of crock pot recipes posted in it
  • skywalker
    Options
    Is this it, TracieJ ? After reading your post, I did a quick search. Lots of good ideas here:smile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/65431-easy-crockpot-recipes
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    This is one I got from a thread on here I found among my online recipes from a member, not tried it yet but it looks good.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________

Crock Pot Chicken Tacos

I literally threw this together while the coffee was brewing. Your house will smell like the best Mexican restaurant in town.

one onion, chopped
    one red pepper, chopped (holds its flavor better than a green one)
    four chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
    2 cups salsa
    chili powder (I like chipotle) to taste (about a tsp. . .more for more heat)
    cumin (1 tsp)
    1/2 cup orange or pineapple juice (optional, but adds a lovely flavor)

Place onion and peppers in Crockpot, place chicken breasts on top of them.

In a bowl, mix the salsa, fruit juice chili powder and cumin. Then, pour everything on top of vegetables and chicken.

Cook on low for 8-10 hours, or on high for 6-8. It's done when the chicken shreds easily w/ a fork.

Makes 8 servings at 175 grams each. (I think that's a little over a measuring cup, but I weigh)

Serve with shells, cheese and your other favorite taco toppings.

Here are the numbers on the meat only (not shells, etc.) It's also good in a sandwich wrap, or over a salad. I even eat it by itself with some guac.

8 Servings

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 158.9
    Total Fat 1.7 g
    Saturated Fat 0.4 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.4 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.4 g
    Cholesterol 65.7 mg
    Sodium 355.6 mg
    Potassium 510.8 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 7.7 g
    Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
    Sugars 0.7 g
    Protein 27.4 g
    Vitamin A 11.6 %
    Vitamin B-12 7.2 %
    Vitamin B-6 39.3 %
    Vitamin C 63.0 %
    Vitamin D 0.0 %
    Vitamin E 4.6 %
    Calcium 3.7 %
    Copper 13.7 %
    Folate 5.8 %
    Iron 8.9 %
    Magnesium 11.3 %
    Manganese 6.3 %
    Niacin 67.5 %
    Pantothenic Acid 11.6 %
    Phosphorus 25.2 %
    Riboflavin 8.8 %
    Selenium 29.4 %
    Thiamin 9.3 %
    Zinc 7.7 %
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    That is exactly the thread skywalker. As you can see it started several months ago and there are a lot of recipes. I posted two of my favorites on there, and they are currently on page 10. I love using my crockpot.
  • nursee67
    nursee67 Posts: 503
    Options
    Thanks for the links...gonna look them up. Always looking for new ideas too!
  • rpion324
    rpion324 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    root beer pulled pork!!
    12 oz (one can) of rootbeer
    pork shoulder (it is easier to pull)
    i usually add some garlic salt and spices to taste
    and then put it in the crockpot on low for 6-8 hours
    when the meat falls apart easily it is done (i like to get the shoulders in the rope cuz it is easier to get them out of the crock pot)
    pull or shred the pork
    then put back in the crocpot with BBQ sauce for about 45-60 minutes
    then serve on whatever kind of buns or with baked potatoes
  • ms1badtk
    ms1badtk Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks everyone, Tracey i will go and look for it. I went back yesterday about 5 pages trying to see what everyone had and decided i would ask. Hope everyone has a blessed day.
  • skywalker
    Options
    Thanks everyone, Tracey i will go and look for it. I went back yesterday about 5 pages trying to see what everyone had and decided i would ask. Hope everyone has a blessed day.

I found it, just look a few post up on this page. I posted the link :laugh:
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Bump! :smile:
  • skywalker
    Options
    tag... again....