Diabetic Anyone else?

Options
Hello I'm fairly new to fitness pal I've been using the app on my smart phone for about 2 months. But I'm 29 years (soon to be 30) a type 2 diabetic since 2003. I'm trying to use my impending age as motivation to get healthy, I'm almost done my first 20lb since January 14. My ultimate goal is 82lbs by Jan 2014, my first goal is 40lbs by June 13 which is my birthday. I'm not only doing it for myself but for husband and 3 small children.
I was wondering if any of the other diabetics out there had any tips to help me. I'm not very good at nutrition obviously or I wouldn't be where I am but I'm hoping to get off some of medians and I'm eating a lot less then I was before so I feel I should be able to lower my meds but it isn't working that way if I don't take as much my sugars sky rocket. They are great now and I have made a doctors appointment to discus things with my doctor. Just curious! Thanks for reading and any input you may provide.

Replies

• Better4Summer
    Options
    Type 2 here also.. Just started today ;) I can help.. Swap white potato for sweet potato if you can or keep the white with skin on.. Fruit you can eat the skin on is better for you. Vegetable soups?? Keep em chunky as diabetics need to maintain a healthy sugar levels so if its chunky your body works to break it down.. Low G.I is what i'm kinda pointing you towards.. Keepin you fuller for longer (so you still will lose weight) I go rid of white bread for nimble as its lower in carbs and so is allinsons bread :) granary is better! Do you see where i'm goin with this? If you do want white potato or bread now and again then make sure you have good protein with that meal to turn it to medium G.I instead of high ;)
  • kaekencoffee
    kaekencoffee Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My husband is borderline diabetic. I'm really trying to get him on this program as well. He's now started exercising with me but it's the eating healthy part he's having a hard time with. Guess I'm going to have to start baking again. I stopped baking because he'd have it all eaten within 2 days. Once I stopped baking, he just started buying sweets from the grocery store. At least if I bake at home, I can cut calories and fats in whatever I bake. Frustrating!
  • disawell
    disawell Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am similar to you OP. I will be 30 in June also :) I seem to have reversed my pre-diabetes (dr never said as much but I have not had high blood sugars or out of control for over a year, even if I eat crap) and the biggest help to me was MFP and Low GI. I don't eat Low GI much these days (too lazy) but i'm really trying to watch my sugar macro and try not to have it red - certainly not more than 100gr red :)
  • disawell
    disawell Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Oh, and also, Low GI is more "bang for your buck" nutritionally and helps with weight loss anyway coz you're not so hungry! Feel free to add me :)
  • trixie315
    trixie315 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have family who are diabetic and I would agree to switch out the white bread and grains with whole grain. The white just turn to sugar in your body.... I am also a volunteer for the American Diabetes Association in the Twin Cities area - friend me if you'd like :))
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic. I use my tracking to closely monitor my carb intake. It is espcially helpful if I am having trouble with high blood sugar readings. I can see right away if I over do.
  • ghostdivatonya
    ghostdivatonya Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I used to be diabetic!!!! (about 40lbs ago that I lost about 7 years ago) I just a few months ago was finally able to got off my Metaformin!!! (happy dance) YOU can reverse Type2 Diabetes! My insulin is still a bit out of whack and I am having a hard time getting my body to work again (without meds) but you can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stick with your diet and cardio. I use sugar substitutes (I know some may not agree) but I do try to get Sugar Free stuff as much as possible. High Protein foods helps with hunger.

Don't deprive yourself of "sugar" just find it in other places! Cup of orange juice, peanut butter low fat yogurt. Sugar can be balanced and pay attention to your body. It's hard to get metabolism working but just don't stop your program. Type 2 diabetes can be kicked. You don't have to let it own you!!
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I too am Type 2, was diagnosed about 7 years ago. I am on insulin to control my blood sugar levels. There is a great group called "Type 2 Diabetes Support Group". You may want to join and learn from those that have successfully lost weight, are still learning and those that are just starting out. It is a great place to find answers to all your questions. Friend me, if you are interested. I don't have all the answers, but am someone who is also working my way through this.
  • rayfordnecaise
    Options
    I have type 2 diabetes(for 10 years), high blood pressure, high cholestrol,smoke for 30 years and am HIV+(for about 25 years). I will be turning 46 this month and just started working out with a trainer 3 days a week and then the other 3 days I am going to do cardio. As far as the diabetes goes, meet with a dietician and find how much carbs you will be allowed in one day. When I first found out that I was diabetic I adhered to what they told me I could have as far as carbs in a day. I stayed completely away from the white sugars. As far as bread make sure you get the whole wheat bread. I dropped about 50 lbs once I started. It took about 1 year and was able to maintain my blood sugars for 9 of those 10 years. I started getting lazy and eating anything and everything. I put some weight back on and had to the metphormine pill once a day. My goal is to get off of the diabetes medicines, cholestrol and high blood pressure medicine. Another item to watch out for is pasta. I am 6'1 and I could only have like 1 cup of pasta or white rice per meal. That is just an example of what my plan was. It is very important to talk to your doctor/dietician to find out the information about how many calories, carbs and etc. that you need in one day. If you or anyone else wants to friend me my name is Rayford Necaise and we can do the support system with each other. We can work on this together and give each other the support.
  • emilyjclark09
    emilyjclark09 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input I know this is going to be hard but hopefully I can stay focused and make it happen
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm a Type 1 diabetic, this site has been very helpful in understanding the carbs in what I eat.
    You might be interested in joining this group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/529-diabetes-prediabetes-and-insulin-resistance