Gluten free diet not giving me enough energy!

Options
I have recently started a doctor ordered gluten free diet after a diagnosis of Celiac. I have had a hard time getting my carbs in, and hitting my calorie goal for the day. I have been way too low. I exercise twice a day, so I need my energy. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Solartiste
    Solartiste Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You can make gluten free bread with rice floor, corn and potatoes flours. Potatoes, rices, crackers can give you some carbs. I eat gluten free for 4 years. I have some recipies in french that you can translate sansglutenetbonaugout.blogspot.com. Maybe that will help. Maybe look for Granola bars with quinoa, sunflower, and other gluten free grains etc.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Make a list of carbs you enjoy eating that do not contain gluten, and eat more of them.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Rice, Gluten free oats, Quinoa, broccoli, GF pancakes.... lots of options. I am GF so I uder to struggle with my carb intake. The oats help - I eat them every day.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Eat more brown rice.
  • rensife
    rensife Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It is hard to get started, but you will feel so much better. My suggestion is to go to the library or research online. G free has come along way. Rice, corn and potatoes will be your main stays! Brown rice is the healthiest. Gluten free frozen waffles become 'bread' for peanut butter. Try brown rice pasta, rice cakes or corn thins or crisps. Potatoes or sweet potatoes can turn into a shepards pie. You can use eggplant as lasagne noodles, Corn chips and taco shells can be incorporated. Read, read, read all labels and know what to look for (carmel color is a no-no), along with some alcoholic drinks. Most groceries have a gluten free section now. Go online to your store and sometimes they have a shopping list that you can print .Price cases of your favorites online.Your energy will really soar!
  • Goaskyourmother
    Goaskyourmother Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Going gluten free gave me more energy. But then going from stuffing my face to a calorie controlled diet made me tired for the first two weeks. I have no trouble finding GF carbs to eat.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Make a list of carbs you enjoy eating that do not contain gluten, and eat more of them.

This makes sense to me. Also, if you add healthy fats to your veggies they will taste great, keep you feeling full, and add calories. Try things like avocado, butter/ghee, olive oil, coconut oil. Almonds and macadamia nuts. Several good GF Dark Chocolate brands. Plenty of carbs in fruits and root veggies too.
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Wheat Belly is a book on the effects of wheat on the body. You really should feel better without the gluten and less hurngy if you are eating the same calories. Just do not fight it. Accept it and if possible do not substitute gluten free bake products. In the long run it will be easier.
    I was eating brown rice, but found that I did not lose weight as well as I did with white and sweet potatoes. Both are high in vitamins and fiber. White potatoes are probably the highest fruit or vegetable in potassium which helps you lose weight, but white potatoes have gotten a bad rap. I think because people avoid white thing, like sugar, flour, animal and vegetable fat, and salt.
    Stay off the gluten and you will feel better, especially when you start losing the weight.
    Good Luck!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I have recently started a doctor ordered gluten free diet after a diagnosis of Celiac. I have had a hard time getting my carbs in, and hitting my calorie goal for the day. I have been way too low. I exercise twice a day, so I need my energy. Any suggestions?
    What's your fat goal? The body actually prefers to use dietary fat for energy, so you may want to increase your fat intake.
  • daniellealys
    daniellealys Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    you dotn need high carbs. increase your fat intake!
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I eat GF & have NO problem with carbs.
    Rice, GF oats, greek yogurt, apples (or any fruit),
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

I frequently find I have the same issue, especially recently or around TOM. How do you do on oats (while oats are gluten free some celiacs also have a reaction to Avenin and therefore cannot have oats)? I've started making my shakes by putting a 1/4 cup of old fashioned long cut oats in first and grinding to a powder, then adding all other ingredients. Potatoes are a great carb high in potassium and very filling. Glutino and Udi's both make a pretty good bread, van's makes some pretty good on the shelf products too. If you use breading, crush up rice checks, toast them on the stove with some oil and voila, great crunchy breading. If you like to bake, there are some really great recipes out there, just a little trial and error to get it right, and some nice premade all purpose flours (you'll also need xanthum gum). I personally bucket corn, peas, and beans in with carbs and find they fill the same way as any other carb. Rice is always an option, lentils are very versitle, and don't forget your quinoa.

I've tried increasing protein and increasing fat, but I find that I need carbs to feel full.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm GF as well, and there are lots of carb choices. Diary is open, you're welcome to peek.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    you dotn need high carbs. increase your fat intake!

^^ THIS
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    For me, fruit, especially bananas and dates give me a ton of energy
    What's your fat goal? The body actually prefers to use dietary fat for energy, so you may want to increase your fat intake.

Da *kitten*?
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free and don't have trouble with carbs. Rice, corn, quinoa and potatoes will all add to your carbs (espcially potatoes, which often put me over). Fruit will bump up your carbs as well, especially bananas.

I have found that Tinkyada make my favourite gluten free pasta. Rice noodles are good as well. And although gluten free bread is generally not very good, I really like it toasted.

You're welcome to friend me and see my diary if that would help.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    On a side note, I was looking at your diary, you're going to need to drop that nightly coors light and either pick up a gf beer, a cider, or wine. Most beers are not gluten free. Here's a link for some: http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/glutenfreefoodshopping/tp/GlutenFreeBeers.htm
  • RisOnTheRun
    RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    My husband has celiac. He generally eats brown rice in place of pasta (though there are a lot of GF pastas out there that are actually really good), corn tortillas instead of bread for sandwiches, rice or corn chex for cereal, and rice crackers in place of regular crackers. He's very picky, so he generally prefers the stuff that's meant to be GF to things like GF breads or mixes, although some are better than others. Whole Foods has a delicious frozen pizza dough that we both love.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Wheat Belly is a book on the effects of wheat on the body. You really should feel better without the gluten and less hurngy if you are eating the same calories. Just do not fight it. Accept it and if possible do not substitute gluten free bake products. In the long run it will be easier.
    I was eating brown rice, but found that I did not lose weight as well as I did with white and sweet potatoes. Both are high in vitamins and fiber. White potatoes are probably the highest fruit or vegetable in potassium which helps you lose weight, but white potatoes have gotten a bad rap. I think because people avoid white thing, like sugar, flour, animal and vegetable fat, and salt.
    Stay off the gluten and you will feel better, especially when you start losing the weight.
    Good Luck!

Whoa, OP is NOT trying to lose weight! She needs more calories and energy... Read the post before throwing in.

I would agree with many of the above folks that more fats will probably help you feel balanced. Also, I sometimes bake a whole bunch of sweet potatoes in foil- they keep for a while and you always have them on hand. A big pot of rice is great too, just mix in different seasonings, veggies and meat, and it even freezes well!

I hope the GF is making you feel so much better, and good luck!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    NACHOS!!