Newbie - Need Help

Hi Everyone
I have been using MFP for a couple of months now and I don't seem to be losing weight. I started at 136 and have fluctuated between 134-135 since I started. I work out everyday. I do about 45 min of cardio each day and work out with weights 4 times a week. I am not new to the gym, been doing it for about 7 years now. I am 50 yo and I'm staying at around 1200 calories per day average and do eat my calories I burn with exercise. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Do you have your settings at losing 2lbs/week? 1200 calories is likely too few for you; by consuming too few calories, you will actually do your metabolism more harm than good, plus if you are working out on top of that, you could be depriving your body of the proper nutrition it needs. Also, when I was looking at your food log, it looks like you will stay consistent at your 1200 calories for a few days, then have a day or 2 where you are much higher than that.

I would suggest trying to eat between 1400-1550 everyday to see if this keeps your eating habits more consistent through out the week. Also, make sure you keep eating breakfast! Looks like you have a lot of protein with breakfast too, which is great!

Last, be patient, it will take time, and depending on your build, you might not lose any weight but your body composition may change. Take some measurements and before pictures too, the scale might not change but this might help you see how your body is evolving.
  • sherrymcnamara2002
    sherrymcnamara2002 Posts: 6 Member
    Thank you so much for the words of encouragement! No, it is set at 1 lb per week. I'm really eating around 1500 because I get about 300 calories from exercise per day. Should I not add in the exercise calories or add more calories on top of them? It seems on the days I have more calories I'm gaining, but I haven't been consistent with that to know for sure. I do tend to eat more calories on the weekends. I'm more on a routine during the week.
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    I would just give it more time. Getting active and eating healthy is a great thing, especially at 50! Like I said, take some before pictures and some measurements.

I would continue eating aroudn 1500calories/day, you can still track your exercise on the tracker also, but maybe for now, don't eat them all back. Stick with it, it will get better.
  • sherrymcnamara2002
    sherrymcnamara2002 Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks - I will try it!