Vanilla vs. Chocolate Protein Powder

Options
So, hands down, I would choose chocolate over vanilla for pretty much everything. Ice cream, cakes, pudding, whatever- I like it in chocolate. So WHY did I get my first protein powder in vanilla? I was rushing and it was a spontaneous purchase. Should I return it and get a chocolate flavor instead?

Thoughts???

Replies

• clairesky3
    clairesky3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Chocolate all the way!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I'm a chocolate bigot as much as anyone, but I find vanilla is more flexible mixing with other flavors.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Vanilla mixes with more things. You can mix with spinach, other veggies, fruits, etc., that you really can't with chocolate.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Muscle Pharm Combat, Cookies and Cream... or i think Optimum Nutrion makes the rocky road that is pretty good... i would go with those over boring chocolate or vanilla.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I have tried just about all of them and when it comes to protein powder I prefer vanilla as it is more bland, the chocolate always tastes kind of funky
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Use the vanilla as a base for making more interesting fruit flavored shakes.

I like making vanilla shakes with pomegranate pizzazz tea (premade & cooled in the fridge) plus some berries

or you can add diet orange soda instead of milk/water for a creamsicle flavor

or you can add cold premade coffee (the stronger the better) for a coffee shake (or mocha with the chocolate powder)

There are lots of ways to spruce up vanilla protein shakes. :smile:
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    This is funny. I just bought some vanilla powder today as well, and was torn between that and chocolate. But I want to try using the powder for pancakes and other stuff and thought that I can always add cocoa or whatever flavoring I wanted to the vanilla, so I went with that.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I'm a chocolate bigot as much as anyone, but I find vanilla is more flexible mixing with other flavors.

This is the troof. Vanilla will go with just about anything. At least, anything that protein powder could/should be used for. I find chocolate is less forgiving.
  • The1iceQueen
    Options
    I prefer Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Protein Powder
  • schmetterling1
    schmetterling1 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I like to make smoothies with vanilla and berries. And I like drinking the chocolate one so I have both.:drinker:
  • sardesc
    sardesc Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The vanilla is really good for baking with (pancakes, Jamie Eason's recipes from Bodybuilding.com, etc).
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    This is just way too hard of a question. I don't think anybody on MFP is qualified. You will be better off seeing a dietitian, or asking someone in bodybuilding.com.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    If it's unopened then yes, exchange it.

Also, your profile picture looks like your bum is uncovered. Just saying lol
  • askcupid117
    askcupid117 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Vanilla is the way to go. I love chocolate everything, but day in and day out chocolate gets old every morning. Vanilla can hide inside of almost any fruit or fruit juice so you dont have to taste it as much. Also getting a good brand so that it tastes great is important. A bad powder and it does not matter what flavor they call it, it will be gross.
  • leelavic
    leelavic Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I also love chocolate.. but there are less variations that you can mix: banana, almond butter, almond milk... maybe cinnamon? Orange juice? Think about what flavours work with chocolate.. maybe berries??

Where as adding vanilla is easy (plain, spinach, berries).....IMO. And I bake with vanilla too.

In my perfect world, I have both, but you could always add a bit of cocoa powder to your vanilla if you really needed a chocolate fix.
  • Soosannah
    Soosannah Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    So, hands down, I would choose chocolate over vanilla for pretty much everything. Ice cream, cakes, pudding, whatever- I like it in chocolate. So WHY did I get my first protein powder in vanilla? I was rushing and it was a spontaneous purchase. Should I return it and get a chocolate flavor instead?

Thoughts???

I use both, but find that vanilla is more versatile if you wanna do add ins. Vanilla is also good to sprinkle over cereal and milk, oatmeal, yogurt etc for an extra kick of protein. I say keep it AND add a tub of chocolate. I mix 2 scoops choco with 8oz 2% choco milk, comes out like cake batter, yum.
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I use both flavors on a regular basis...
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I always buy vanilla, more versatile.

Just add some unsweetened cocoa powder to it when you want that chocolate taste.
  • DivaMoe40
    DivaMoe40 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I find vanilla is more flexible mixing with other flavors.

I was just about to say the same thing! I choose Vanilla because of its neutral flavor and the fact that you can mix almost anything with it. It gives me a lot of flexibility when I making my protein shakes.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Chocolate hands down on most days