High Intensity Treadmill Workout - is it bad?

Options
Honest opinions please - I read online that this is a good workout but while reading the MFP forums I read otherwise...what is your take?

1 mile warm up at level 6.0 (10 min/mile)

4 minutes of alternating this - 20 seconds of incline of 12.5% and run at 6.3 then 10 seconds of standing to the side (doing this for a total of 4 minutes)
4 minutes of walking rest at 4.0
Then repeat for 3 times total

Is this a good workout for a quick high intensity session or not?

Replies

• bdburch
    bdburch Posts: 127
    Options
    Other than it might be dangerous to hop on and off the treadmill I'm not sure where the badness would be. It seems like it would get your heart rate up.
  • Turtle003
    Turtle003 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have heard that there is a chance of passing out by jumping off? I thought it looked like a TABATA routine?
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I've torn the ligaments in my knee on a treadmill....Sure I was getting the calories, but at what cost....
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    When you say stnading to the side, do you mean on the sides of the treadmill or all the way off to the floor? I've done intervals at a high (for me, around 7mph) speed with rest on a treadmill, but I just take my feet to the sides, I don't get off the treadmill completely. And, if you're only doing 10 seconds rest, there's no way that's long enough to jump off and back on safely. I'm not sure why it would be bad, other than it can be hard to get your feet back under you at a high speed at first.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Using the treadmill for any form of high intensity training is both dangerous and doesn't show as good results. It should only be used for moderate intensity work.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I have heard that there is a chance of passing out by jumping off?

Yep, if your HR is high enough.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I would avoid the treadmill as well.

Tabata is designed to be at maximum intensity for 20 secs then rest for 10 secs.

After about the 3rd set you're going to be exhausted and jumping onto a moving treadmill isn't the safest of options.

Better to do it on a aerodyne bike or even just a stationary bike.

Or alternatively you could just sprint on a track.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with interval training on the treadmill if that is what you prefer. I wouldn't completely get off the treadmill though.

Try something like this: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/01/27/kick-your-*kitten*-and-kickstart-your-metabolism-in-20-minutes/
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    I know what you mean by jumping to the side... YOU want to check your HR and while running, the damn treadmill either miscalculates or doesn't calculate... When I do what you do, I only pop to the side every so often just to get the reading then hop back on. When I do this, the treadmill is not going faster than 6 mph so I do not hurt myself. (Sheet can happen).
  • Mariannewww
    Options
    I personally would think jumping off and back on for that amount of time is going to drastically increase the chance of doing yourself a mischief. I do moderate interval training without the need to formally jump off - brings your heart back down slower and less chance of stumbling a step / pass out.

10 mins 10k

1 min 12.5k
    1 min 9.5k
    Alternating x 5

Rinse and repeat. You can always drop the treadmill down to a walk 6k catch breath and go back into it. No shame in that and it keeps you moving which I think is always beneficial

Of course tonight I was lazy so just ran straight at 10k while watching the Simpsons :s ... not really acceptable
  • aarikadanielle
    Options
    HIIT is really effective for me on the elliptical, HIIT on a treadmill is really dangerous especially on a incline. Spare your joints and possibly your face, find a different solution for your high intensity interval training and use the treadmill for steady state.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I have heard that there is a chance of passing out by jumping off?

Yep, if your HR is high enough.

Wouldn't that meant that if you were just running real fast anywhere and stopped that you could pass out? Seems like if you do not have a history of passing out after exertion then you are at low risk of doing so by 'jumping' of a treadmill.