On recent acute shin splints, is ice or heat better?

Options
I went on a hike in the cold winter weather on Sunday. It ended up being significantly longer than had been posted (almost 8.25 instead of a 6 mile hike). However, I think the bigger problem came from the fact that we had to walk at least 1/3 to 1/2 of it on pavement. That combined with the cold and hiking on my "rest" day have resulted in some angry, acutely sore shin splits.

So, which is best for this when it is recent and acute?

1. Ice - like we do for other recent acute injuries? or...

2. Heat - like we normally use for older muscular injuries to relax them and draw blood to the area to accelerate healing?

I haven't have them in many, many years and not too pleased to have them now. I've been trying to stretch them all day between things... still sore. Suggestions?

Replies

• Countryboy_
    Countryboy_ Posts: 618
    Options
    Some say the world will end in fire.
    Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire, I hold with those who favor fire,
    But if it had to perish twice,
    I think I know enough of hate,
    to say that for destruction,
    Ice is also great, and would suffice....
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I've had these from running before Usually meant I needed new trainers! I know that you can massage them which sometimes helps. If you go them from walking on pavements then I guess it could be the higher impact that has caused a problem. I have now had to have tailored insoles in my shoes which have helped.
    Sorry I'm not sure this is helping but there will be plenty of people on here who will be able to give you proper advice!
    Good luck.

Alison
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Some say in ice.

Ok there Robert Frost.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    People in boot camp who had shin splints got put on ice treatments every morning and night, so I am guessing ice.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    If I were you, based on what I've been reading recently, I would try putting my legs in ice water for a few minutes to reduce inflammation. I'm not an expert or anything, it's just what I would try.
  • sylwheat
    sylwheat Posts: 125
    Options
    Some say in ice.

^^^^^ yeah - what he said
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest ice for the first 2-3 days, then heat.

When I got them bad, I'd do ice for 20 mins 3-4 times a day and it helped a lot. Then for another few days I'd switch off ice and heat for 20 mins each, again 3-4 t imes a day. And then switch to heat a few times a day, but by that time it was only mild pain and I quit messing with it.

When you start exercising again, make sure to warm up and stretch really well or you'll aggrevate it, and then you'll be right back where you started.
  • ryan57ford
    ryan57ford Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I can tell you with 100% certainty that Ice is the correct treatment.

Ice constricts blood vessels in the area, which draws out blood, so when your body warms back up, new fresh blood, with nutrients come in and can help aid in repair. Ice reduces inflammation and reduces pain.

Heat on the other hand dilates the blood vessels and this allows more blood into the area. when you have shin splints you have microtears in the muscle fibers, therefore more blood to the area is going to cause more inflammation, swelling and pain.

You can never be too early with ice, but you can def use heat too early. you only want to use heat when all inflammation is gone, and when you are suffering from shin splints, heat is the wrong call.

I am nearly through my doctorate, have a BS in Human Biology and have been a massage therapist for 10 years, so I have a lot of experience in this area.
  • mmahugh
    mmahugh Posts: 2
    Options
    My understanding from what professionals have told me (and what I've experienced) is that the biggest problem with healing shin splints is we almost never stay in a position in which they are not being aggravated, so the best solution is taping them to relieve the pressure on either end of the tendon.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7ufe1_how-to-tape-shin-splints_school

This is the heavy duty way to do it (I think so you can work out while they're taped) but I've had a lot of luck just taping that pattern with one or two pieces of tape and leaving it on while I rest in the evenings. Good luck!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Well, there is conflicting advice. Usually ice the first 24, then heat after that. However; my PT had me do ice for 20 then heat, 3 times a day after 24 hours. Acute pain is best with ice and soreness is best with heat in my book.
  • 1Mrsmcdilbert
    1Mrsmcdilbert Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My daughter has been a distance runner for years and has struggled with serious shin splints for the last year. Ice is the way to go. If you freeze small dixie cups full of water, they are the perfect size to roll on those shins.

Good luck!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    R - Rest
    I - Ice
    C - Compression
    E - Elevation

When first injured Ice is the recommended treatment. As previously mentioned it reduces the swelling and inflammation and allows healing to start sooner.

After the first 24-48 hours, you can slowly add heat.

A bigger question is... 8.25 miles is not really that far. Have you considered the cause? Did you have a pre-existing shin splint condition?

Shin splints is often a result of improper footwear, poor form or the terrible too's (too much, too hard or too fast). It doesn't normally have a sudden onset after doing an extra 2.25 miles one time.

Worn out or improperly fitted footwear can lead to injury. Shoes typically wear out after 500 miles. While they may look new, they will have lost the ability to properly support your foot. Improperly fitted footwear usually consists of the wrong shoe for your foot ( perhaps a motion control shoes on a neutral foot?) or the wrong shoe for the sport (i.e. don't go running a marathon in bowling shoes). Also keep in mind with shoes... you usually get what you pay for.

Poor form can lead to injuries as well (especially for runners). Weak core muscles, heavy pronation etc... etc.. these can all lead to injury.

Too much, too hard to too fast... well they kind of speak for themselves don't they? If I work out too much and don't include rest as part of my exercise framework... my muscles never have a chance to recover from the stresses I've inflicted. Likewise if I really over do it (to hard) on a consistent basis... or perhaps you've just progressed to quickly (the too fast) and not allowed a progressive routine for your muscles to adapt to.

Not trying to second guess you or anything (no rudeness intended here) but It seems odd to me that after one time hiking 2.25 miles further than you expected you would suddenly have shin splints. Whats the missing part? What is your normal routine?
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Okay.... icing now. I'm not within 24 hours.... but considering how acutely sore they are... I think it is still bad. Bummer. I will ice

As for the impact comment.... I think that was a factor. If I'm doing pavement, I normally wear athletic shoes with good supports, added arch support and nice shock absorbing bouncy soles. But, when I'm hiking (normally dirt and grass), I wear my hiking boots which are more for traction and support in that environment but not for "cushioning pavement". *sigh* I am used to hiking 4 to 6 miles on dirt, mud, snow, and grass... but I don't do that on pavement... and I am not used to 8+ miles, which i another hour's worth of hiking.

If I was injured before the hike, I was not remotely sore and was totally unaware of it. The prior day's exercise was cycling (spinning class) and weight lifting. The day before that was mixed cardio-resistance (does include some jump jacks and other HR elevating exercises intermixed with dumbbell squats, curls, presses, etc.) and swimming. The day before that was strength training and cycling. The day before that was a different set of mixed cardio/resistance, eliptical and yoga. The day before that was cycling, eliptical and weight lifting. The day before that was walking and yoga. So, you get the idea, my workouts are varied.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Get the best of both worlds....................................heat the ice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ElizMurphy69
    ElizMurphy69 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    As a former hurdler in high school and college I dealt with these a lot. This is what I did and seemed to help:
    - you need a flooring that is slick (for lack of a better work, like linoleum)
    - a chair to sit on
    -a wet towel, soaking wet

place the chair so you have room to move in front of you, put the soaking wet towel on the floor in front of you, put your feet on the wet towel, start "scrunching" your feet/pull your toes in to gather the towel up under your feet...when it bunches up so much you can't do it anymore straighten the towel out and start again. do this until your feet are tired, or you get bored....it was a great exercise that really helped me make it through when I was running a lot! it stretches and works those muscles to alleviate the pains. I can only speak from experience, but it worked for me.
    Good luck!
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Ouch. That's truly awful. I've had those before and they hurt. I'd try the ice as that was what my trainer told me the last time I got injured. :) I know what you mean about pavement...there is a big difference between that and nice soft ground.

Monica
  • quesusy
    quesusy Posts: 1
    Options
    ice every 1/2 hr. for at least 24 hrs.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Some say in ice.

I think I love you.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Ice.. I did that when I first started running and got shin splints - haven't had them since.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Icing again this morning. *sigh* It is actually making me cold to have these ice packs strapped to both shins. I have a space heater blowing on me to keep the rest of me from turning into an icicle. LOL