Newbie question about sugar

Options
How in the world is one supposed to stay at or under the daily recommended sugar level, and yet still have the right number of fruit servings?? One banana and an apple and I'm nearly at my limit. I'm actually eating less fruit than I was, and I'm not really a big fruit-eater in the first place.

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    unless you are diabetic, it doesn't matter.

From a weight loss standpoint, all that matters is maintaining a calorie deficit. From a health standpoint, the only thing you have to worry about is getting enough of the essential nutrients, which come from protein. Health problems aside, and taking a very simplistic view, all that you HAVE to worry about are essential nutrients and calorie deficit to lose weight healthily.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Try to avoid foods that have "added sugar". Try to completely eliminate high fructose corn syrup.

Fuit is healthy so don't eliminate it. It is calorie dense so you need to be careful with it.

Try to time your sugar intake so it is within an hour of exercise this will reduce the spike in blood sugar
  • Lakerlady5747
    Lakerlady5747 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I don't track sugar. I figure that if I want something sweet and eat fruit for a snack, that's better than eating candy, cookies, or some other processed food that would have less sugar (such as potato chips or something like that). Personally, I love fruits for snacks and I won't give them up even though they have a high natural sugar content.
  • Schellsisbacktoattack
    Options
    Too much of any sugar turns to fat if the body does not need it. Sugar also, makes the body tired. Fructose - sugar from fruit is the best kind of sugar, however you still want to remain under a certain amount.
  • RingSize8
    RingSize8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I was just about to post something similar - I am only half way through my day, with 900 calories left, plus whatever I add from my workout later tonight, and I'm already waaaaaay over my sugar intake for the day. I don't get MFP sometimes. I ate a banana, an apple, some Greek yogurt, and some fruit snacks. ...now, I get fruit snacks are not ideal, but it's not something I eat with any regularity (probably haven't had any in 6 months), and at 70 calories, I figured it was no big deal. But according to my sugar intake I'm on the verge of a diabetic coma. What gives? It also only has me at like 20g of fiber. I'm already over that for the day too, but I know that's not a bad thing. I just don't get where it comes up with these recommendations. Does it truly not matter how much sugar we eat, as long as it's within our daily calories and we eat moderately healthily? It seems like the answer is no.
  • justjean
    justjean Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I eat plenty of fruit and don't really seem to go over? I've had blackberries and strawberries today. Sugars also matter on the fruit, I think oranges have the most sugar.
  • crysofmyk
    crysofmyk Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I disagree with a PP, it does matter even if you aren't a diabetic. Refined sugars are horrible for you! Now if you are going over your sugar because you are eating fruits (especially fruits high in fiber) then I wouldn't worry about it because the fiber is helping your body to process those sugars. It the sugars that are in highly processed foods and junk food that you should try to avoid whenever possible.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I eat plenty of fruit and don't really seem to go over? I've had blackberries and strawberries today. Sugars also matter on the fruit, I think oranges have the most sugar.
    Berries have less sugar than most fruits.

Sugar doesn't really matter in terms of weight loss. It's just carbs. As long as you don't go too far over your carbs it doesn't matter. Some people find that sugar (even from fruit) causes more sugar craving so that's the only reason it should be limited (excluding medical issues).