NSV: 105 lbs!

Options
dhiammarath
dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
Okay this is probably a silly NSV, but I just had to post it because it means a lot to me!

I've always been puny - in school, I was skinny and weak. I thought I was fat, and boy was I wrong. I got out of college, went through several iterations of "too poor to eat" (literally), subsisting off one single box of malt-o-meal for months at a time. (Yeah I can't stand the stuff anymore.) I consider this the cause of the weight I gained when I got married, grew a backbone and asked for help, and thus had access to (OMFG) food again.

Long story short -- when I was fat, I was also puny. Couldn't lift much of anything. Blah, blah, blah…

ANYWAY… I recently (last month) started stage one of the New Rules of Lifting for Women, and on Friday I was able to deadlift 105 pounds (30lb weights + 45lb bar; I didn't do crazy big actual weights, but hey that bar is heavy and I'm totally counting it!). Holy moly, this is like huge for me. I BROKE THE 100 mark.

For a puny girl (fat or thin) to suddenly (well after a month of hard work) have the ability to lift that much weight was awesome! I am just hoping that I can break that barrier in my squats next week.

I feel powerful! That's all.

My husband is loving this new me too. ;) Unfortunately it means I can't wimp out on carrying in the groceries anymore!! (/jk)

Replies

• scjl132
    scjl132 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I was so worried when I saw the topic title, like "oh no, it's an anorexic person who doesn't understand that an NSV is not related to the scale."

What a kickass surprise!!! Good for you! You have set off on an excellent course. Keep on keepin' on!!
  • dhiammarath
    Options
    Yeah, I made the mistake with that on Facebook and had a lot of people pinging about my "weight loss" and I was like, heck no! This is about the STRENGTH I'm GAINING.

Thanks!!

Next up: I am aiming to deadlift the husband's weight. ;) For bragging rights!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I made the mistake with that on Facebook and had a lot of people pinging about my "weight loss" and I was like, heck no! This is about the STRENGTH I'm GAINING.

Thanks!!

And in case he passes out in a bar! Gotta have a strong woman . . .
  • dhiammarath
    Options

Thanks!!

And in case he passes out in a bar! Gotta have a strong woman . . .

Or passes out at Universal Studios on a Halloween binge... ;) Yes!
  • lose4good1
    lose4good1 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    WTG
  • dhiammarath
    Options
    WTG

Thanks! I'm hoping tomorrow is going to be equally as awesome with my squats!
  • smitty328
    smitty328 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I was so worried when I saw the topic title, like "oh no, it's an anorexic person who doesn't understand that an NSV is not related to the scale."

What a kickass surprise!!! Good for you! You have set off on an excellent course. Keep on keepin' on!!

OMG me too! :laugh:

Congrats! :drinker:
  • peasantsong
    peasantsong Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Dude that is awesome!! I'm doing NROLFW and I'm near the end of stage 1 but I can't seem to get my dead lift weight above 85lbs! My grip just won't hold out at higher weight! I did squat 125 last time I did workout A which was awesome! Give me some tips on increasing deadlift weight!
  • beanerific518
    Options
    This is a great NSV! Congrats and keep up the great work!
  • dhiammarath
    Options
    Thanks!!

Yeah, my grip has been my weakest point too, but a trainer at the gym told me that those squeezy stress balls can help increase your grip, so I've been trying that. And I got some gloves to make it more comfortable. My problem is that bar likes to try to roll out of my fingers like a greased pig!

But I wanted to break that 100 pound barrier. It was my GOAL. So I did!

I'm alllllmost done with stage one. Only a few more workouts left!
  • beanerific518
    Options

Yeah, my grip has been my weakest point too, but a trainer at the gym told me that those squeezy stress balls can help increase your grip, so I've been trying that. And I got some gloves to make it more comfortable. My problem is that bar likes to try to roll out of my fingers like a greased pig!

Have you tried a reverse grip on the bar? This will help with the rolling.

Your grip strength will continue to increase week by week. I found that pullups and hanging leg raises help too.
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!!! You must feel so proud!
  • Seoul11
    Seoul11 Posts: 138 Member
    Options

I've always been puny - in school, I was skinny and weak. I thought I was fat, and boy was I wrong. I got out of college, went through several iterations of "too poor to eat" (literally), subsisting off one single box of malt-o-meal for months at a time. (Yeah I can't stand the stuff anymore.)

Hahah. I laughed so hard when I read this. I cannot tell you how instrumental malt-o-meal and watered down condensed soup were to keeping me alive in college.

Congrats on your achievement!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!