Maybe a TMI question...

Options
Maybe a TMI: So I started taking alot of multivitamins. If you look at my food diary you'll see what I am taking( all on dr advice). My doctor has me on 3000 iUs of vit D because in Oregon we dont get much sun. Also you'll be able to see i'm on alot of iron as I am genetically anemic. Will always be anemic no matter what, but the iron is a must. My issue: Pooing. It seems like I'm getting constipated more. Would more water work?? Maybe suppositories?? Any help is sooooo appreciated!!!!

Replies

• icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I was on iron pills before some surgery a year ago, and the Doc had me also taking an OTC stool softener. It worked like a charm but not too well, if you know what I mean!
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor about adding magnesium, since iron and magnesium work together that might be the puzzle piece that is missing and possibly causing the back up.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    When I was on iron when I was pregnant, the doctor said I would most likely be constipated. Eat lots of fiber, drink your water and hopefully you won't need an OTC. But if you do, you do....
  • Shgtwins
    Shgtwins Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Iron pills are the worse when it comes to constipation. I really found Mirlax works the best. It's does the job but doesn't have some of the side effects like other ones. Apple Juice is also great and there are some good low sugar ones out there. Good luck!!!
  • scicco
    scicco Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    i had the sam problem. try floridex liquid iron. better absortion and no constipation
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Yes, more water - lots more. And fiber - a fiber rich diet is needed to combat the effects of iron pills.

A stool softner does work, although I'm not sure it is something you want to be having to take every day or what the long term side effect are. A more natural 'cure' that you can take now and maybe whenever you have a flare up is prune juice. There are also so herbal remedies you can look up.
  • jsrussell2127
    jsrussell2127 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Trying taking Colace. It is an OTC stool softner, not a laxative. You can take it twice a day. And, of course, the usual, drink lots of water and eat fiber. Another option to add would be Miralax or Metamucil. It is OTC as well.

If these two options do not work at LEAST every 3 days for you, you should try Milk of Magnesia. If this doesn't work, go with a glycerin suppository (also OTC) and then an enema. If you haven't gone by now, see your doctor because you may have an obstruction.

Just speaking from a medical standpoint. :) (I am an RN and I specifically worked with bowel and bladder programs for a year.)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!
  • annbillingsley
    annbillingsley Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    same problem here....will almost always be anemic and I am actually taking 3000 IU's of vit d. I have to take a stool softener daily now or else. I get a lot of fiber and that isn't helping a bit. neither is getting a lot of water, although that does help a bit--- TMI warning: keeps me from screaming and/or bleeding from hard/sharp poo, but still not enough to make it "normal".
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    That's a common side effect of iron supplements. Let your doctor know what's happening and they'll make the best recommendation for how to combat it. It's just safer that way since you don't want something that's going to conflict or negate what your doctor has prescribed.
  • ElizMurphy69
    ElizMurphy69 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you get where you can't go....try about 30 ml Milk of Mag with 4 ounces of prune juice and a little dab of sugar, throw it in the microwave and pretty soon (just enough for it to be warm, 20 secs or so) VOILA! you will have results... I was an oncology nurse and served this tasty cocktail known as a "brown cow" for years and worked wonders :-) You could add just prune juice in if you are looking for a healthy non-medicine proactive approach!
    Good luck!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    My mom was on iron for about four years (severe anemia) and her doc had her take a different firm of iron called "Iron Picolinate" (I think that's how it's spelled). She had previously been on ferrous sulfate and was horribly constipated; on the iron picolinate she never was. It can be difficult to find but worth it.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Mineral oil!