how are my legs getting smaller

Options
I have lost 6 lbs so far and. 25" has come off my thighs which are tiny, started out at 17.5" and now they are 17.25" . Nothing from my stomach where I carry all my extra weight. My legs have no fat on them so why are they getting smaller? I'm actually trying to increase the size of them.

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    You either lost some muscle, fat, or water in that area.. Our thighs do hold a good deal of fat even though they appear small.. I know it sucks you can't tell your body where to burn from but its part of the journey.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    What is your exercise routine?

And you have fat on your thighs, I promise.
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Honestly, 1/4" difference could just be user error (different tension in the tape, measuring at a slightly different spot, etc).
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    Each body has a certain pattern where weight comes off first and then elsewhere. You can't really control that very much, can't spot reduce, but only strengthen the muscles in that area. Be patient. Sometimes it drops first in the area where we least want it to, or where we have almost nothing to lose. The rest will follow. :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have lost 6 lbs so far and. 25" has come off my thighs which are tiny, started out at 17.5" and now they are 17.25" . Nothing from my stomach where I carry all my extra weight. My legs have no fat on them so why are they getting smaller? I'm actually trying to increase the size of them.

If you want to increase the size of your legs, you need to eat in a surplus.

You've already been told that your goal weight is very low. If you don't want your arms and legs to get skinnier, you need to eat in a surplus and lift heavy weights.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I too have lost fat from my legs. I've lost some around my belly but it's really noticeable on my arms and legs, probably due to the fact that they didn't have a lot of fat to begin with. I have a lot of fat around my midsection. Most of my pants now look like parachute pants on me.
  • bocana38
    bocana38 Posts: 85
    Options

You've already been told that your goal weight is very low. If you don't want your arms and legs to get skinnier, you need to eat in a surplus and lift heavy weights.
    I know my goal is a little low but my frame is very thin. Right now at 154 lbs my waist is 29" and my stomach at biggest part is 36". I guess my shape is different than most lol
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    So quit trying to lose pounds. It won't change your shape. Focus on reducing your body fat and increasing lean body mass. Ditch the scale, eat the proper amount (not low), and work on building muscle.
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I guess your body carries weight that way. It sucks and is unhealthy.

My sister is pear shaped. She is already tiny on top and huge on bottom and when she loses weight, yep, she loses more on top so she looks even worse than she did before, until her body starts to finally lose below.

As you know spot reduction isn't possible. Wish it was! Just don't give up. After you lose all your weight in your fingers and toes and chin and ears, etc. you body will have to lose from your mid section!!!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Unless your legs look like a smaller version of these, they have fat on them (and even those legs still have some fat on them):

tp5.jpg

You can't choose where the weight comes off of. If you're going to remain in a caloric deficit, you're going to continue to lose weight - and you're going to lose it in whatever pattern is dictated by your genetics. If you want to build your legs (or any other part of your body) up, you will have to eat at a caloric surplus and engage in strength training.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I empathize. I wish I could put some padding on my legs without getting a tummy.
  • deanna348
    deanna348 Posts: 15
    Options
    Honestly, my first 6 lbs all I lost was a shoe size...But when my husband came home from work he thought my feet looked great in my slippers
  • JennKie1
    JennKie1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Sadly, the tummy always seems last to go. My legs are pretty twiggy right now, but I still have a bit of my belly left too. I'm planning on losing the fat from my belly (hopefully), and then I'm going to switch things up and try to put a little muscle on my chicken-sticks.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

I agree with this, and am seriously questioning whether you might be better seeking some sort of therapy, given your goals and your other posts here, not to mention your unwillingness to listen. Are you looking to get some sort of shock response to your small legs or something as you seem to keep posting about them.
  • 4ever420
    4ever420 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    My legs have always been smaller in proportion to the rest of my body, especially my stomach. I've lost 70 lbs so far and my legs keep getting smaller and smaller but my stomach, not so much. I'm seriously starting to look like big bird! :grumble: