Wheat belly

Options
So is wheat really as bad as they say? Can it really cause you to seem bigger in the belly than you really are? I'm curious cuz I love me some bread every now and then.

Replies

• MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    So is wheat really as bad as they say? Can it really cause you to seem bigger in the belly than you really are? I'm curious cuz I love me some bread every now and then.

Not everyone is impacted this way by wheat products. Some can metabolize it just fine, the number of wheat intolerant people appears to be growing though.
  • lulucat24
    Options
    it all depends on the individual. I am actually allergic to wheat and avoid gluten and wheat whenever possible because I bloat up, become depressed and tired, and break out. I would say limit things like bread when possible, but there is nothing wrong with one every now and again when you don't have any kind of reaction to it. If you haven't read the book Wheat Belly, i would suggest you do because it may answer a lot of your questions and it will make you think twice about the slice of bread (:
  • Elle_Elle
    Options
    As lulucat24 mentioned, Wheat Belly answers a ton of questions. After reading that book, you begin to understand why so many individuals have become intolerant to wheat products. I tested it out to see if all the findings about wheat were true, and for me, they were. Anytime I eat wheat bread, i'm starving an hour later. It's like eating candy. It gives you that same insulin spike and then BAM! I crash. I feel so lethargic and bloated as well. I did zero wheat for about two weeks (super hard to do), but I could feel a big difference. I try to avoid wheat as much as possible, but it can be hard, as it is addicting. Just try cutting it out of your diet for a while and see if it makes a difference. It's in a lot of products, so you have to read labels carefully. Some people can process it perfectly fine, but for those that can't, it can really hamper dieting progress and make you feel crummy. However, even if I could process it perfectly, after reading Wheat Belly, I would rather just not have it at all.
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! Is there any substitute? Just in case I would need to make a sandwich for on the go. Bread substitutes perhaps?