been 5 months and only lost 4 pounds?

Options
I am so frustrated. I am 5'4 and started at 159 pounds. I usually eat 1200 - 1400 calories a day, and about 2 months ago I started working out. I do 30 minutes of cardio 5 or 6 days a week and 40 minutes of weight training every other day. I also do an hour of ballet two days a week. I cut out all sodas, chips, cakes etc and I just don't lose weight. My weight is different everyday, ranging from my lowest 154 to my highest 160. I haven't lost any inches off my body or anything either. The only progress I've seen is in my workouts. I started out as getting winded by doing 20 jumping jacks, and now I can do up to 60 before I start to get tired. My body has gotten stronger, but you cant even see any results. I can do 40 sit ups, yet I still have a big flabby stomach, and my arms have gotten much stronger yet they are still flabby and when I flex my arm I can't even see a muscle. Can anyone inform me of anything I am doing wrong?

Replies

• rosichick
    rosichick Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, I am 5'5 and weigh 177, i feel as if i should be losing more weight since i exercise 5-6 times a week normally except this last week and this week since i am so sick from the flu.

I think the only response is that you need more time for your body to catch up to your training. I say this because Im slowly losing inches and it took a while for me to see any inches come off. In 6 months i have lost 19 pounds already and i don't mind waiting a little bit more to see better results =)

I know seeing the scale moves is what motivates you, just keep eating your daily calories and exercising and sooner than later you will see 5 or even 7 pounds come off.
  • stevekoo
    stevekoo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have you try running?
  • kimckelleher
    kimckelleher Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm new to myfitnesspal but have been a long term Weight Watchers attendee and lost 46 pounds. I have two thoughts to add from what I have learned from attending WW. You may be exercising so much and not taking in enough food so your body is thinking it is in starvation mode. You might actually try for one week to eat more protein, veggies, and fruit. Eating more was often a suggestion at WW when someone was exercising every day and not losing. If you are nervous about eating more (something that was often talked about at WW meetings) try another suggestion, keeping your calorie level the same just be sure to eat protein for breakfast. This helps to kick in your metabolism first thing in the morning. I would also recommmend that you drink cold water over luke warm. Cold water causes your body to work hard to warm it up and helps kick in your metabolism as well. You might also do well to have a 50-100 calorie snack at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Think yogurt, applesauce, carrotts, fruit. This also will keep your metabolism working all day.

Remember that the scale is only one indicator of your success. The fact that you feel stronger when exercising and you are seeing your body change are all fabulous results...in time the weight to will come off and the clothes sizes will go down in time. Think of this as a change in lifestyle and not merely a diet. You are taking care of yourself.

To stay motivated, consider treating yourself once a month to something special (not a food treat) as a reward for sticking with your new food program. New sneakers, exercise clothes, special dvd, a message.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring everything you eat? Counting every sauce and cooking oil? Logging every bite of food? If you aren't losing weight at a pace you'd like, your calories are too high. BMR estimates from an online calculator are just that, estimates.

Just my opinion.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am so frustrated. I am 5'4 and started at 159 pounds. I usually eat 1200 - 1400 calories a day, and about 2 months ago I started working out. I do 30 minutes of cardio 5 or 6 days a week and 40 minutes of weight training every other day. I also do an hour of ballet two days a week. I cut out all sodas, chips, cakes etc and I just don't lose weight. My weight is different everyday, ranging from my lowest 154 to my highest 160. I haven't lost any inches off my body or anything either. The only progress I've seen is in my workouts. I started out as getting winded by doing 20 jumping jacks, and now I can do up to 60 before I start to get tired. My body has gotten stronger, but you cant even see any results. I can do 40 sit ups, yet I still have a big flabby stomach, and my arms have gotten much stronger yet they are still flabby and when I flex my arm I can't even see a muscle. Can anyone inform me of anything I am doing wrong?

I would suggest you are significantly under eating and your body has either adapted your RMR (slower metabolic rate) or your are storing a lot of water as famine reaction. Based on your stats and workout, I would suggest eating closer to 1900 calories daily. YOu are very young and not very far from a healthy weight. If you want, you can start adding 200 calories a week until you hit around 1800-1900 calories. In fact, most women I have helped are eating at the 1700-2100 calorie range. You can also adjust macro's to around 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fats. This will help with muscle retention.

Next, no matter how much core work or sit ups you are doing, you can NOT target fat loss and will only see your abs when you hit a low enough overall body fat. It's great you are strength training and training your muscles. I woud also suggest limiting running to 2-3 days a week and if possible replace it with HIIT instead of steady state. HIIT is better of muscle preservation.
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Cant help much as your diary is not open.

As suggested, morning and afternoon snacks might help, Babybell cheese is perfect
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you may be overexercising and undereating. I know it sounds counter-ituitive, but increasing your calories a bit would probably help.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I'm new to myfitnesspal but have been a long term Weight Watchers attendee and lost 46 pounds. I have two thoughts to add from what I have learned from attending WW. You may be exercising so much and not taking in enough food so your body is thinking it is in starvation mode. You might actually try for one week to eat more protein, veggies, and fruit. Eating more was often a suggestion at WW when someone was exercising every day and not losing. If you are nervous about eating more (something that was often talked about at WW meetings) try another suggestion, keeping your calorie level the same just be sure to eat protein for breakfast. This helps to kick in your metabolism first thing in the morning. I would also recommmend that you drink cold water over luke warm. Cold water causes your body to work hard to warm it up and helps kick in your metabolism as well. You might also do well to have a 50-100 calorie snack at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Think yogurt, applesauce, carrotts, fruit. This also will keep your metabolism working all day.

Remember that the scale is only one indicator of your success. The fact that you feel stronger when exercising and you are seeing your body change are all fabulous results...in time the weight to will come off and the clothes sizes will go down in time. Think of this as a change in lifestyle and not merely a diet. You are taking care of yourself.

To stay motivated, consider treating yourself once a month to something special (not a food treat) as a reward for sticking with your new food program. New sneakers, exercise clothes, special dvd, a message.

While the intent is good at weight watchers, most of this information isn't really true. Your metabolism is always working. If it's not breaking down food, it's running your vital organs. So in fact, breakfast does nothing from a weight loss perspect. It's more physiological as many people will splurge less when they have a good breakfast. Also, your body has no clock and the Termal Effect of Food will be equal within a 24 hr period regardless if you eat them in 6 small meals throughout a day or all at once. And drinking cold water might help you burn 5 extra calories throughout a whole day. More than likely, the OP is under eating like you suggested. And while she will not experience starvation mode since she is regularly eating, there are hormones - such as cortisol - that will prevent weight loss by adding additonal water to the body as a famine response.
  • gemkat13
    gemkat13 Posts: 60
    Options
    Get your thyroid checked out. It's a simple blood test from your doctor. My mom has thyroid problems and she barely eats and is always on her feet. She can't lose a pound. If you eat a lot of bread or pasta try cutting that out. Low carb may be a good diet choice for you.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm 5'5 and 146 lbs, and I was 143 a few months ago. I'm smaller and more defined now though. I eat 2200 calories a day, strength train with 15lb dumbbells 2-4 times a week and do 1-2 hours elliptical or step a week as well. I eat plenty of varied food including cake, chocolate and stuff.
    Personally, like others have said already, I too think you're not eating enough.
  • ashleymmc20
    ashleymmc20 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Same story here. Just want to cry almost every day. I increased my calories and everything (1500+ a day), work out 5-6 times a week. I don't know what to do anymore, I'm SO TIRED of taking advice about things that worked for others. I don't know what works for me, NOTHING works for me. I'm about ready to sell my soul.
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Based on the amount of exercise you're doing, I also suggest you try upping your calories a bit. Add a couple hundred to your 1400, especially on days you lift. Do you eat back you exercise calories at all? Make sure you're eating back some at the very least.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Same story here. Just want to cry almost every day. I increased my calories and everything (1500+ a day), work out 5-6 times a week. I don't know what to do anymore, I'm SO TIRED of taking advice about things that worked for others. I don't know what works for me, NOTHING works for me. I'm about ready to sell my soul.
    What have you tried, how long have you tried each of them? Also, have you tried eliminating a food group yet? And have you had bloodwork to look at a thyroid issues or PCOS?
  • ashleymmc20
    ashleymmc20 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have been going with this current plan for the past two & a half months without any weight loss. My weight constantly, daily fluctuates between 155-160. It used to be very easy for me to lose five pounds, I would barely have to try. Now I'm 27 and I wonder if that is the reason it is so hard to lose now. I tried getting on a similar plan last year without any results, and then went to spend a semester abroad in Costa Rica where my food was chosen for me by my host family. It was mainly healthy foods, but I didn't lose any weight, however I wasn't focused on weight loss during that time, either. I have been back home for almost 3 months now, and after Christmas really geared myself towards a healthy lifestyle. I have cut out all unhealthy, processed foods during the week, and only eat clean foods, mostly all natural. On weekends I don't try as hard to eat clean as I spend my weekends with friends who eat mostly junk. Not that I always eat junk with them, I just try not to be the friend who is a pain to go out with. I do drink alcohol with friends during the weekend, but not a huge amount by any means.. last weekend I had the equivalent of maybe 4 (possibly 5) 12 oz beers during a 3 day span. When I am focused on eating clean, I avoid processed carbs, I choose foods low in carbs (I try to get most of my carbs from morning fruits) and high in protein, especially since I have been working out so much. I have been taking SlimQuick pills, something I am ashamed of, but good grief, it has never been this hard to take a little weight off. I would be happy to lose 20 pounds, even though my goal is to lose 30 pounds. It may take years, and I guess overall, that's alright, because I plan to eat natural, healthy food on a regular basis for the rest of my life. It would just be wonderful if I didn't have these rolls of fat around my stomach during the summer months.

I will be sticking to my clean eating on the weekends now, too. Writing that out made me realize how pathetic it is to cheat. I just didn't think it would make such a difference, since it never has before! I have not been tested for thyroid problems, but my grandmother had problems with hers. I have inherited her body shape, maybe I have inherited her thyroid problems as well. Perhaps I should have a test done...
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options

First you need to open your diary so we can see what you are eating and how much.

Second, I would recomend that you stop exercising and learn how to eat within your calorie needs for the day. Once you start losing, then you can slowly add food and exercise back into your life.

It may go against everything you have heard, but you do not lose weight from exercise, you lose weight from eating less than the calories you need to live. By stoping all the exercise, your body will stablize, you will stop retaining water and adding muscle. I would then figure out my daily calorie requriment and substract 500 from that. This would give you a 1 lb per week weight loss, and start eating at that level and monitor yourself for like 4 weeks or so. If after 4 weeks, you are still not seeing the scale moving, substact another 250 and so on until you start seeing the scale move in the direction you want it to move.

I REALLY recomend eating 6 times a day, small meals, so yoru stomache is never really empty. This really helps with will-power and gives you that satisfied feeling. Of course weigh, meassure and track every bite of food you eat. Remember the Coffee Cream, the Packet of sugur, the three licks from the spoon while cooking....