How does Biggest Loser do it?

Options
124»

Replies

• OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    It's not real life.

A week on TV is not always actually a week.

They do have customised calorie goals. I have seen 1200-1500 mentioned for different people.

They Workout as much as 6 hours a day.

They put on weight before the programme starts.

They dehydrate in special suits before the weigh in to reduce water weight. They also sometimes wear more clothes during workout to sweat more. They then take them off for the cameras.

They often put weight back on afterwards

What's your source?

There's a blog online somewhere, I'll look for it that states exactly what was posted above. It's a former BL contestant and she pretty much ripped them a new one it and risked being sued. They sign all sorts of non disclosure things to prevent them from saying how they were treated or how filming took place and everything.

Here it is:
    http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/

That one doesn't talk about how they gain weight back. A simple Google search and you can find that one.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    The links to the interview with Kai are mandatory reading.

Also, anyone debating in favor of the methods used on TBL should check this study, which TBL's Dr. H worked on:
    http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/early/2012/04/24/jc.2012-1444.abstract?papetoc
  • dmw45
    dmw45 Posts: 73
    Options
    I've been watching old seasons on Hulu for inspiration and I'm surprised at how whenever I tell people they're so quick to jump down my throat and say "ITS NOT REAL!" "ITS UNHEALTHY!" "THEY GAIN IT ALL BACK!"

Of course that's true, but they really do lose the weight. From what I've gathered watching the reruns, they eat 1200 calories a day. They wear calorie monitors and they workout at least 6 hours a day, sometimes more, to at least 6000 calories burned per day for women, 8000 for men.

Last chance workout I read somewhere involves exercising in layers of heavy clothes with no water so they would be as dehydrated as possible when they get on the scale to weigh in.

Is it real? yes. Is it healthy? Probably not. But is it healthier than doing nothing at all? Probably. Do they gain it back? Some of them do. Some of them keep their weight off by staying active once they're in the real world.

The inspiration Biggest Loser gives me, is that I'm watching these people more than twice the size of me working out for 6 hours a day. It takes away my excuses for not doing a 30 minute run/walk today.

It's also made me more willing to take on more and to challenge myself.

An episode I watched earlier today, Jillian said that its actually easier to do at home because there's no temptations or game play going on and that you lose less when you're under stress.

Of course I'm not doing Biggest Loser at home. I'm just trying to stick to a healthy plan which involves all the same ideas presented in the show. Eat healthy, workout, make better choices for yourself, take care of yourself first and you'll be better able to take care of others later.

Don't be so quick to dismiss this extreme for-TV distortion of what it is you're trying to do, because ultimately it is what you're trying to do.

Those folks on the show who already obviously have food issues to begin with are probably at risk for developing eating disorders for being praised for such extreme behavior. It is a shame they aren't addressing that on the show. I think most Americans have disordered eating of some type that diet and exercise doesn't address.

Yes, you need to face your demons. Yes, you need to learn how to make better food choices. Yes, you need to exercise. Yes, you need to push yourself and challenge yourself. Of course it's ridiculous that a person would cry and think themselves a failure because they "only" lost 6 lbs this week.

But this show shows people doing it. Losing weight by eating light and exercising. It shows how sometimes they work hard all week and still get zeros on the scale. It shows how it doesnt even matter because by the end they're all skinny. Even the ones who did it at home.

I think it is a good motivational tool for those of us trying to stay on the path to losing weight!
  • soccerchica604
    Options
    ive been stuck at 164 for weeks :(
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I thought about writing a post on this yesterday, now I wish I would have. I love the show, but these people are in a competition. First of all, we don't know how much is real, and how much is faked. I do know that I do not want to starve myself and exercise for ridiculous lengths of time, just to lose weight. I know that if I did that, I would certainly go on a major binge afterwords, and probably gain every ounce of the weight back, and probably even more. How do I know that? Because I've done it before! Also, they get a large cash reward if they win, so their pretty motivated to do what they have to do. I was thinking about this yesterday when they were at the restaurants with all their friends, and had to eat salads, while all their friends were enjoying good food. Granted, you should really try not to eat the most fattening things on the menus, but there certainly are some really yummy, healthier entrees at almost every restaurant! Applebees has some really great dishes! I know we wish we could all just wave a magic wand and look fabulous, but it's just not reality. This is NOT a race, or competition. This is a lifestyle change, to be healthy for life! Not just a fad, or crash diet, which is what they do on the show. Good amounts of lean protein, don't be afraid of a little fat, and healthy carbs, that have not been processed or refined, meaning whole wheat pasta and bread, to prevent spikes in your blood sugar, which leave you craving sweets at the end of the day! Lots of fruits and veggies, try to include them in all your meals, as much as possible, or eat them on the side, with your meal. That, and get up and move! I personally love zumba, because it's fun to me, and it burns so many calories. I also love the supportive people in my class. Slow and steady wins the race. Besides, I've heard when you lose weight really fast, you can get really bad stretch marks, and loose skin. Make better food choices, it doesn't always have to be salad. Do a little research, and look up some healthy recipes online. Here's a freebee.....it may sound strange, or different, but barbecue chicken nachos. Put 1-2lb's of boneless, skinless chicken breast in the crockpot with bbq sauce, and let it cook for 4-6 hours, 'til you can shred it easily with a fork. Take a serving of baked tortilla chips and spread them out on your plate, top with shredded bbq chicken, and then some fat free or reduced fat cheese. Maybe some lite sour cream on the side, or whatever healthy toppings you like. Good luck OP! :D
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    5% body weight in 2 weeks. I wonder what their calorie intake is VS their exercise calorie burn is. Fat/ soium.carbs/ protein?
    I dont know how they consistently drop large numbers? If I cut my calories too low, I dont lose a thing even if I up my exercise. ITs a fine balancing game for me...so I wonder how they do it?

And what about the women with the TOM, I cant seem to lose an ounce no matter what I do during that time....just trying to figure it out...anyone have any ideas? And they were at home last episode so its not the trainers and/or cooks....I need to know ; ) lol

:flowerforyou:

Thanks for starting the debate. It's one that's often talked about on MFP but well worth going over again - especially for anyone new to the site. And it's always reassuring to see so many people here who understand that The B L isn't real or attainable for us mere mortals.

It always makes me wonder, in particular, what their changes in bodyfat ratios are during the series. I find it hard to believe you could drop such big numbers while eating at a massive deficit and not lose lean tissue (or damage your heart for that matter).
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's unrealistic and maybe even terribly unhealthy. BUT they do learn something, and the viewers can learn some things too. It helps me remind me that 1) my body is capable of doing more than I think it is and 2) if a morbidly obese person can work out hours every day, even if they ARE at a ranch dedicating their lives to exercise, I can find 30 minutes to at least walk. It also shows me that yes, loss IS possible. I can see what it looks like to lose 70 lbs (my goal) and it motivates me. I'm not expecting to lose 10 lbs a week and I'm not foolish enough to believe that show is everything it appears to be but it keeps me from thinking "this is impossible."
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It's not real life.

A week on TV is not always actually a week.

They do have customised calorie goals. I have seen 1200-1500 mentioned for different people.

They Workout as much as 6 hours a day.

They put on weight before the programme starts.

They dehydrate in special suits before the weigh in to reduce water weight. They also sometimes wear more clothes during workout to sweat more. They then take them off for the cameras.

They often put weight back on afterwards

^^^this.

Reality TV doesn't really mean it's reality.
    yup.

Agreed with the above .. they start filming 3-5 months in advance .. then condense it as a weekly show for the viewers. It's unhealthy, and unnatural approach to dieting.

they are NOT losing that n a week's time .. it averages between 2 and 3 weeks (and you see one week) .. Towards the end .. before the final "live" show(s) .. everyone already knows who's the winner .. and they are scripted on how to play out the last 2-3 weeks for ratings.

The only thing that is motivational is the fact that obese people are willing to put themselves out there for the world to see .. in real hopes that they do lose and keep the weight off. Hopefully - it will motivate others similar in stature and health to start making a real change in their lives. :flowerforyou:

There are serious complications with SOME people who are overweight for prolonged periods of time. Even though it is generally accepted that overweight/obese persons suffer more from diseases such as diabetes and heart issues .. it is not necessarily always true -- there is a bit of scientific jargon floating about the internet that seems to tout heavy/chunkier people may out live the thin folks.

I am no expert .. I am a small statured person.. so I am certainly not trying to justify being overweight for any reason other than the objective information presented out there on the internet somewhere.

As far as Biggest Loser goes .. sadly, it's not even shared with you in the truest and real sense .. you are fed what the network wants you to see. And individuals such as Jillian Michaels and her cohorts are making millions off you gawkers. I am not saying anything against Jillian .. she's a wonderfully fit woman who does know what it takes .. but again .. she's being paid an insane amount of money to be the "hardass" .. and push people even through injuries doctors have advised against.

Be motivated that overweight/obese people CAN lose weight .. but BE PATIENT.. I want to look better .. stronger .. I'm @111 lbs. but I can't afford the extra training sessions or individualized trainers. I have to motivate myself to work harder.. and in reality.. it can be difficult.

I'm no longer in Marine Corps bootcamp (Dec '84 - Feb 85) .. No one is yelling at me to get my *kitten* out of bed and start moving. No one is timing me to take 30 second shower and be fulled dressed and ready to go , with my rack made in 10 minutes flat.. I have to push myself .. I have to create my own discipline .. My own commitment.. That's what will get you to your goal, whatever that goal is :flowerforyou:
  • teamike
    teamike Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    What you see on The Biggest Loser is actually very unhealthy and dangerous weight loss, and yeah they do typically gain it back.

^^ So true! Which is why I refuse to watch it.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Kai Hibbard lacks credibility with me. You will find a naysayer for just about anything. I didn't care for her as a contestant, and I wouldn't base my opinions on behind the scenes based on what she says without other supporting evidence. (Of course I don't believe the show and producers are all roses, either.)
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Ok, you cant say that it is totally unrealistic. Joe's twin brother lost almost as much as Joe did in that "10 weeks". His brother lost something in the neighborhood of 90lbs.

Also, last year Mike, the contestant that won the at home challenge... Look at how much weight he lost on his own at home, without the show's trainers. He was kicked off 2nd week I think and had to go home to a job and family and everything else and he lost a LOT of weight on his own.
  • loved1
    loved1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I would prefer a reality show where mom with 2 young kids needs to go to work, clean the house, walk the dog AND lose weight.. sort of a normal way of life for most people. I don't enjoy watching people sweat on exercise bikes 3 hours a day and not doing anything else, that is not real and it is also kjndof boring.

Why noone ever makes real weight loss reality? Even if it was scripted, it would be much more interesting than just training and salad eating imho.

MTV had a show like where they would work with a teen for about 90 days. At the beginning of the journey the person was assigned to a coach/trainer who taught her how to workout & eat & the coach would check in throughout the show with tips while the teen had weekly weigh ins. The teens were juggling their full schedules of work/school & balancing trying to maintain a healthy diet when their families/friends were still eating foods they used to eat. I thought it was pretty good.
  • CaciaXX
    CaciaXX Posts: 37
    Options
    Jillian said in one of her recent podcasts that she burns 7000 cals a day with her male contestants and 5000 cals a day with her female contestants. She also said she sets their calorie intake at 1200. That's a massive deficit, and most of her contestants DO keep the weight off. They all wear thermal-monitoring armbands that track every calorie burned. It's TV so there's lots of money for those kinds of things!

When the body is morbidly obese, it's healthier to take the weight off fast than to let the weight stay there and keep doing harm to the person.

If that first part is true, that's an extremely unhealthy amount of calories to be burning a day and a dangerously low intake, I'd like to see a source for that? Those people wouldn't be able to function on that intake let alone exercise that much without passing out.

And losing weight slowly most definitely will not harm the person more than losing it fast will. Losing weight too fast, having a low intake and over exercising is incredibly unhealthy and not maintainable, hence why eating disorders are so dangerous and never result in long term weight loss.

Sounds like you really need to check your facts before giving advice that could do severe damage to someone's health if they followed it.