5k in 2.5 weeks?

Options
I've been back at the gym since January 15th. Since that time, I've been walking 3-5x a weekly (5-6 miles) between 3.5 and 3.75 mph according to my fancy GPS watch. I do circuit training classes 3x a week and my stamina, leg strength, core strength etc have all been improving. Just last Friday, my trainer had us up on the treadmills for our final 20 minutes of our class for some cardio. He put it on 4.5 mph and said "go" until you can't go any more. The goal was to see if we could do a mile. To my surprise, after some early calve cramps, I did it. I also do some interval sprint/walk training during my walks, but never for the whole time.

Fast forward to today. I got a flyer from our local high school that there is a 5k race to support the baseball team and it runs through my neighborhood...the same route I run/jog daily. Is there anyone out there that can tell me if there is any way I can work up to "running" the 5k in 2 1/2 weeks from my current status? If I'm going to do it, I want a time under 35 minutes which would be just under 11 minute miles or about 5.5 mph. I"m not opposed to walk/run intervals as I do those in training, but I don't want to do the super slow jog at 4.0 the whole way. Be honest you runners....any chance?

Replies

• LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I've been back at the gym since January 15th. Since that time, I've been walking 3-5x a weekly (5-6 miles) between 3.5 and 3.75 mph according to my fancy GPS watch. I do circuit training classes 3x a week and my stamina, leg strength, core strength etc have all been improving. Just last Friday, my trainer had us up on the treadmills for our final 20 minutes of our class for some cardio. He put it on 4.5 mph and said "go" until you can't go any more. The goal was to see if we could do a mile. To my surprise, after some early calve cramps, I did it. I also do some interval sprint/walk training during my walks, but never for the whole time.

Fast forward to today. I got a flyer from our local high school that there is a 5k race to support the baseball team and it runs through my neighborhood...the same route I run/jog daily. Is there anyone out there that can tell me if there is any way I can work up to "running" the 5k in 2 1/2 weeks from my current status? If I'm going to do it, I want a time under 35 minutes which would be just under 11 minute miles or about 5.5 mph. I"m not opposed to walk/run intervals as I do those in training, but I don't want to do the super slow jog at 4.0 the whole way. Be honest you runners....any chance?

i think it's possibly but you may have to forgo your time. running on a treadmill and running outside is very different. imo i think you should focus on finishing regardless of how fast you run or how much you walk - the last thing you want to happen is you push yourself right into an injury. look at it this way - you do the 5k, get a time whatever time that is and THEN work to beat THAT time. that should be your goal - beat your first time at your next race. not finish your first race in 35 minutes with only 2.5 weeks to train and you're only walking at 3.5/3.75 on a treadmill.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    You could do a time trial to see if you are close to your goal.

Do a 20 minute warmup, 3 x 1 mile with 1 minute recovery, as fast as you can while still maintaining an even pace. (Try to get close to the same time each mile.) Average of mile times +15 seconds is your estimated 5K pace. 10 minute cool down.
  • mgsimon
    mgsimon Posts: 18
    Options
    You could do a time trial to see if you are close to your goal.

Do a 20 minute warmup, 3 x 1 mile with 1 minute recovery, as fast as you can while still maintaining an even pace. (Try to get close to the same time each mile.) Average of mile times +15 seconds is your estimated 5K pace. 10 minute cool down.

Thanks. Both comments are good ideas. I couldn't agree more that running outside and running on a treadmill are different. Boy, are they. :)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It is possible since you already have been working out a while. Next time you are on the treadmill try going 3 miles using run walk intervals with 3 min run, 1 min walk. Try to do the run intervals between 6 and 6.5 and walk briskly during the walks. That should get you somewhere around 11 min/mi or maybe a little faster.

Adjust the run walk intervals up or down if that is either too easy or too hard.
  • mgsimon
    mgsimon Posts: 18
    Options
    It is possible since you already have been working out a while. Next time you are on the treadmill try going 3 miles using run walk intervals with 3 min run, 1 min walk. Try to do the run intervals between 6 and 6.5 and walk briskly during the walks. That should get you somewhere around 11 min/mi or maybe a little faster.

Adjust the run walk intervals up or down if that is either too easy or too hard.

OK. I like this one a lot. Should I just avoid training on "the road" before the race and let the morning of my race be the first time out on the road for 3.1 miles or do you think I should mix in some real "road work" along with the treadmill cycles? Thanks again!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Probably doing it on the treadmill first would be good to get the pacing down. Then once or twice on the road to get its feel.

Also, I recommend doing it no more than every other day at this point and taking the day before the race as a complete rest day.