Make me. Smile.

Options
So, hi. I'm Bonnie. And I'm fat.

Well... I think I am - but my man says he loves me no matter what. Soo... if you don't mind, I'm gonna hang out with all of you folks and get skinny okay?

I'm at 225 - I wear my rolls nicely, and nobody (maybe they're just being kind) thinks I'm over 200lbs. ((your's and my secret okay!?)

Last I remember, I was around 143 and wearing a size 8 jeans. I'd like to get back to that size, if you don't mind.

I have all the time in the world right now - been unemployed now for 5 months (WTF - yeah, it sucks... really, I hate it). But until I can land myself a decent job again, I'm working my tush off.

My only problem - weight lifting. I hate it. I can do cardio all day. But weights, and strength training.... ACK! Any suggestions? I do have a gym membership...

Anyways - thanks... and so nice to "meet" ya'll! :)

Replies

• ChelleBalady
    Options
    Hello, I admire your honesty. I'm not a fan of weight lifting either so I hired a trainer 2 days a week sometimes 3. I have recently discovered the joys of Pilates as well. If a trainer isn't an option find fun videos that incorporate weight training. You can try Jillian Michaels DVD , P90x, the firm. Those are a couple I have used. Fitness magazine has good tips too. Good luck in your weight loss journey.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    oh man we are total opposites - i love weight training/hate cardio :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feY6vi6ORXo - I like this as a good starting template for weight training, you will see best results if you lift heavy, it will melt through some calories, especially in the first few months. here he goes through the basic workout template - for instructions on the exercises just youtube them

If I were starting over this is the template I would use - it is modified stronglifts 5x5 program

also feel free to add
  • Innerbeauty31
    Innerbeauty31 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Doc - I'll TOTALLY check out those videos! :)

Cardio and I? ....well, I work for my shower, that's FOR SURE! :)
  • changingforthegood
    Options
    hey, Im brooke, and i am fat too!!!

But i wont be fat by the end of the year, so right now it is just temporary WOOHOO

Friends needed!!!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Perhaps try the elliptical with the resistance/workload cranked high? Or Reformers Pilates?

No doubt I'm going to get flamed back to the stone age for suggesting that you should do anything other than stronglifts or NROLFW, but I can live with that. Personally, I think it's better to work in something that you can enjoy and sustain, than to force yourself to do something you hate and will find any excuse to cheat/quit.
  • hearn523
    hearn523 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey I don't enjoy weight lifting either...... I do Beach body Insanity and I love it. You use your own body resistance to tone..... GOOD LUCK :)
  • darahjayne2691
    darahjayne2691 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think its great that you are so open and honest about how you feel and everything. I personally think everyone has beauty inside and out but when you aren't happy with what you look like its hard to see it. I hate myself in the mirror but its so hard but I'm using this app and people seem so nice and supportive. I am going to focus on getting healthy and losing weight and I know you can do it too. Plus, I feel the same way about weight lifting and cardio but they do say it works hand in hand so maybe we could both try and attempt to do a little lifting once in a while if your up for it. Good Luck! :)
  • Innerbeauty31
    Options
    AzChelle - maybe after I get a job, I'll be in more of a position to hire the trainer. But, I really do wanna! I know it'd help keep me on track - mainly with the strength training.
  • Innerbeauty31
    Options
    Perhaps try the elliptical with the resistance/workload cranked high? Or Reformers Pilates?

No doubt I'm going to get flamed back to the stone age for suggesting that you should do anything other than stronglifts or NROLFW, but I can live with that. Personally, I think it's better to work in something that you can enjoy and sustain, than to force yourself to do something you hate and will find any excuse to cheat/quit.

I do the Elliptical - and I can feel my muscles the next day, for sure! I always amp it up just a tad more each time... so I'm not getting settled into one setting.

I appreciate the idea of doing what works for me... and what I enjoy. Thanks for your input! Live a little. You're fine. :)
  • Innerbeauty31
    Options
    I think its great that you are so open and honest about how you feel and everything. I personally think everyone has beauty inside and out but when you aren't happy with what you look like its hard to see it. I hate myself in the mirror but its so hard but I'm using this app and people seem so nice and supportive. I am going to focus on getting healthy and losing weight and I know you can do it too. Plus, I feel the same way about weight lifting and cardio but they do say it works hand in hand so maybe we could both try and attempt to do a little lifting once in a while if your up for it. Good Luck! :)

Aw, very true! I'd rather have Inner Beauty anyday! However... with as lazy and gross as I was feeling, my inner beauty was getting thin. (Ironic, huh?)

Support and motivation is GREAT! Thanks for the encouragement... And heck....

YOUUUU CAN DO IT! (said in the best "waterboy" voice I have)
  • Innerbeauty31
    Options
    Here is the recipe of the Apple Jalapeno Chicken Salad I made up last night - go with a light Mayo and you're set! It's SOOO yummy!

This isn't your grandma's chicken salad! This one has a light kick from the jalapenos, tons of crunch, and a "must have some more" flavor.

8532858480_31daa030fe.jpg

2 Shredded (fully cooked & cooled) Chicken breasts
    3-4 Sweet Crisp apples (I used Pink Ladys)
    1-2 Large Fresh Jalapenos
    3 - Chives (Green onions)
    1 - Orange
    3 - Radishes
    1.5 Teaspoons - Celery Seed
    1 Teaspoon - Pepper
    1/3 cup - Apple Cider Vinegar
    1/2 Cup - Mayo (Try cutting the calories with fat-free, or reduced fat)

Chopped the apples into small pieces and place in a medium sized bowl.
    Cut the orange into small pieces and mix in with the apples.

Second:
    Shred your chicken breasts. I used the rotisserie style pre-cooked chickens from Costco.
    Place in your bowl with the apples.

Third:
    Chop the radishes into small pieces.
    Deseed the Jalapenos and chop into small pieces
    Chop the chives (green onions). I used the white and green portions.
    Place it all in your bowl of apples and chicken.

Forth:
    Add the celery seed and black pepper.
    Add mayo.
    Add Vinegar.

Fifth:
    Stir it up! If it needs more "wet" ad some more vinegar or Mayo to taste.

Divided the salad into 6 portions: Each portion has 203 Calories, 14 carbs, 14 fat grams, 6 protein, 136 Sodium, and 10 grams of sugar. (Could be less with less fat mayo)
  • gemkat13
    gemkat13 Posts: 60
    Options
    Hi Bonnie. I'm fat too and my husband also thinks I'm just fine. Like you I carry my weight well. I'm evenly fat from head to toe. I weigh 184 and people guess me at 160. That's nice, I haven't been 160 since I was pregnant for my 19 yr old daughter. I just love food and eating. I don't snack like most people. I like full plates of real food like spaghetti, meat and potatoes, etc.. I'm on 1200 calories a day and its hard. I'm still eating what I like just child size portions. But we'll get there, it just takes time and patience. Good luck on your journey :)
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    Try doing body weight exercises instead of actually lifting weights? like, plank, push-ups, crunches, there's a variety of stuff! Or, try the kettlebell? There's lots you can do with a kettlebell and it doesn't feel like lifting weights necessarily.
  • Anelson4
    Anelson4 Posts: 6
    Options
    I've used Jillian Michaels 30 day shred to help incorporate some weight training. She does it in intervals so its not so mundane. Good luck!