Shirataki Noodles

Options
Has anyone ever tried them? I bought a bag tonight and am excited to try them; I plan on throwing them in a beef teriyaki stir fry later this week. Just wanted some thoughts on those who have eaten them before.

Replies

• busycitystreets
    busycitystreets Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have yet to try them myself, but here's a list of recipes using them....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/finallychelle/view/my-lo-cal-recipe-collection-195763
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    They are ok, but I suggest trying not to breathe when you open the package. They stink and might turn you off them. I hold my breath and dump them into a strainer and rinse well!
  • The1iceQueen
    Options
    They're good, just make sure to rinse them off and strain them real good. They do smell fishy when you open the bag for sure. I really like them though. Since I don't eat pastas, it's a nice alternative when I make spaghetti for hubby, I just use shirataki noodles for myself.
  • busymnmom
    busymnmom Posts: 133
    Options
    I have tried them. I like them. They are pretty spendy here for a single pack so if I do eat pasta, I eat dreamfields brand
  • AmandaRhys
    Options
    Oh, they smell just awful!!!! I tried them, and they taste just FINE...but I couldn't get past the smell, kept triggering the gag reflex. They're not for me. :-(
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    In addition to rinsing well, I would recommend cutting in small pieces (think macaroni size). To me, the somewhat rubbery texture is much easier to eat--literally--if the pieces are a bit smaller.

Personally, my favorite way to have them is in chicken broth with some veggies for a nice noodle soup!
  • msampred2
    Options
    I tried them with the Hungry Girl Lo Mein recipe and looved them! They do have a distinct smell to them initially though for sure and it takes forever to get all of the moisture out of them like you are supposed to; however, for me it was totally worth it! I love pasta and once you get past the first couple of bites with the texture difference it is all good!
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    They are very strange....they squeak in your mouth when you eat them and the consistency is what I imagine a rubber band to be. Didn't taste bad so if you can get over the texture they are fab.
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    better in soups. there are some ways to prep them that help. saw some recipes online. invovles washing them a few times.
  • Tryinonemoretime
    Tryinonemoretime Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I eat them a couple times a week atleast!!!!! Just a few tricks.
    1. They smell terrribly fishy when you open the pack. Place them in a colander and rinse rinse rinse. I then let them drain for several minutes.
    2. I use two knives to cut them into small pieces.
    3. I have just microwaved them before but I have found that dry frying them is the best especially for a "stir fry" type meal. My fav!
    4. They have no flavor on their own but they will absorb the taste of what you put with them. Use spices, veggies etc.
    5. Enjoy! I buy two different kinds. One kind has zero calories and the other has 40 calories per pack. I buy mine at HyVee. The zero calorie packs are in the Health Market section in a cooler and the others are in the organic produce section also in a cooler.
    I really hope you like them because they have been a huge help to me with this "diet".
    There are also videos on YouTube.
    Enjoy!!!!!!
    Good luck on your weight loss journey!
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I was trying to find them at the grocery store today - does kroger carry them?
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you rinse them really well, and parboil them. They have an unappealing fishy smell, and doing those things will get rid of most of it. But yeah, if you can get past the slightly rubbery texture of the noodles, they're pretty great in any asian dish!
  • kaseyAnne425
    Options
    Anyone know why they have that smell?? Hmm..

And what do you mean by "drying" them?
  • CRMstar
    CRMstar Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have tried them. Like others said, they smell very tofu-y and the texture is tofu-like as well. They kind of crunch. If you want to cut calories but want your pasta, I would try something from the product line called Fiber Gourmet. They are not as low calorie as the Shirataki, but they are still lower than regular pasta. Not sure if your goal is cutting calories, but these taste like regular pasta and make you more full.