Need Advice AGAIN!!

Options

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    It says my BMR is 1849!!!! There is NO WAY I'm gonna do that many calories....omg, can that be right???? ok, if someone could help me find the RIGHT BMR for me...I'm 5'7" weigh 253 and female (obviously) and ride a recumbent bike minimum of 30 minutes per day now. Can someone help me out, cuz 1849 sounds like A LOT!!!!

Yes, that is probably absolutely correct.

When I started a 230lbs (5'6") my BMR was around 1800. That's not alot. I eat 1900 now and I'm losing.
    ok, MFP set it at 1280....does that sound good? Cuz, I think I can do that...Ok, here goes.......hey, how do you guys add your weight loss tracker things at the end of your posts?

If your BMR is 1849, you should probably be closer to that. But, if you stay at 1280, be sure to eat back all your exercise calories.
  • iamjude17
    iamjude17 Posts: 40
    Options
    Ok, so, LAST QUESTION, PROMISE!!! Can I eat those calories in all raw and vegan foods and with juicing?? That's good, right? I mean, just cuz it says I can eat 1800 calories, it shouldn't be in cakes and pies, right? I know that's GOT to be a stupid question, but I seriously don't know the answer to that.....(yes, I'm that stupid when it comes to eating healthy!!)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Ok, so, LAST QUESTION, PROMISE!!! Can I eat those calories in all raw and vegan foods and with juicing?? That's good, right? I mean, just cuz it says I can eat 1800 calories, it shouldn't be in cakes and pies, right? I know that's GOT to be a stupid question, but I seriously don't know the answer to that.....(yes, I'm that stupid when it comes to eating healthy!!)

I'm probably the wrong person to ask, because I don't believe in overly restricting yourself when dieting.

I eat cake, pies, fruit, veggies, pizza, pasta, chicken, beef, eggs, cheese, beans, rice, tortillas, bread, ice cream, candy, milk, yogurt, pudding, cottage cheese, coffee, etc. I just try to make healthy decisions most of the time so it's not a big deal when I eat something that's not so healthy.
    For example, I had a piece of chocolate cake earlier. It was tasty! My lunch will be rice, teriayki beef, and stir fried green peppers, mushrooms and onions - all measured and calorie counted. Also tasty! And healthy :) Dinner will be a couple of eggs, some spinach, cheese, and a whole wheat pita pocket - with an apple on the side. Healthy & tasty again!

So, I can have my cake and eat healthy too. And lose weight. Win, win for me.

If you're doing vegan for ethical reasons, more power to you. You should consider finding ways to make sure you get enough protein. Read some vegan blogs and recipe books.

If you're doing vegan because you think it's a short cut to faster weight loss, then you're probably approaching this all wrong. An overly restrictive mindset with the intention of producing faster than probable results usually doesn't end well.

Good luck!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    The trainer at my gym told me not to eat my exercise calories. He said to just eat the calories MFP has told me I need for the day and leave your exercise calories alone.

Is your trainer a nutritionist or dietician?
    And does your trainer know how MFP works, that your daily goal already has a deficit built into it before exercise, thereby leaving you with a HUGE deficit if you don't eat the exercise cals?
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    In addition to the calorie levels that have been discussed, you lost 21 pounds in just over a month, which is awesome. Your body (and your brain for that matter) may need some time to readjust itself to a new lifestyle
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    The one part I will comment on, is your comment in regards to "you don't want to force yourself to eat if you're not hungry". I can totally understand where you're coming from. Lately I've been doing a lot of hot yoga and continually need to force myself to eat. So, what I do now is eat enough to make sure my blood sugar levels don't drop, and then wait until I end up getting hungry. Because eventually, you always get hungry. I have to tell my stomach to override my brain. Food is important!!!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I really think you should take a step back and listen to all the people who are speaking rationally to you about your food intake. You have a track record of making poor choices with your body. Laxatives. 500 cals per day. Binging....

We're all very proud of you for what you're trying to do. But you should listen to someone (like your doctor or a registered dietician) else when it comes to an appropriate amount of food.

To lose weight over an extended period, you need to give your body the nutrients it needs to accomplish that task over the long term. Food contains the nutrients you need in order to continue the chemical process of losing weight. If your BMR is 1800, the best thing you can do for your body is eat that much every day (at least on average, I mean). To remain vegan, that probably means adding lots of nuts, seeds and oils. Please do this. You need those fats to fuel the chemical reactions that need to take place in your body to lose weight in a sustainable manner.

Then, at least for now -- like for the next 2-3 months maybe -- you don't have to "eat back" your exercise calories, UNLESS you're hungry. Ok?

And keep in mind, if your BMR is 1800 and you exercise regularly, that means your TDEE is probably something like at least 2500. Which means YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT over the long term as long as you eat less than 2500 every day (but more than 1800). So never, ever feel guilty about eating that 1800 calories (or more, if you're hungry).
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    It says my BMR is 1849!!!! There is NO WAY I'm gonna do that many calories....omg, can that be right???? ok, if someone could help me find the RIGHT BMR for me...I'm 5'7" weigh 253 and female (obviously) and ride a recumbent bike minimum of 30 minutes per day now. Can someone help me out, cuz 1849 sounds like A LOT!!!!

Yes, that is probably absolutely correct.

When I started a 230lbs (5'6") my BMR was around 1800. That's not alot. I eat 1900 now and I'm losing.
    ok, MFP set it at 1280....does that sound good? Cuz, I think I can do that...Ok, here goes.......hey, how do you guys add your weight loss tracker things at the end of your posts?

If your BMR is 1849, you should probably be closer to that. But, if you stay at 1280, be sure to eat back all your exercise calories.

Just to add to what's been said: 1800 is not that much-- it's possible that you're used to eating larger portions than what actually adds up to 1800. Remember, most real portions are much smaller than what most people are used to. A small bowl of plain pasta alone (no butter, sauce, nada) is between 200-300 calories . And that's a *small* bowl of pasta. Add sauce, cheese, chicken, veggies ... and it can add up to 400+ calories and that's still a *small bowl*. Make sure that you weigh and measure your food so that you aren't actually eating more than you think you are. You'll see that it's really not that hard to meet 1800--especially when people are used to eating up to 3000 when they're not tracking.

You can do this! Wishing you all the best.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    One thing I would like to add, if you can not get more protein then you shoudl stop being vegan. It's a complete misconception that being vegan will automatically make you healthier. Meat eaters can achieve the same results. Ideally, you will probably want 120-150 grams of protein a day, especially since you are in your 40's. It is critical to maintain the amount of muscle you already have as it becomes harder and harder to maintain muscle as you age. So do some research and up the amount of beans or add a bunch more protein shakes into your diet. Additionally, resistance training will also provide more support in maintaining lean body mass. All of that will help prevent a metabolic from decreasing, osteoporosis, and etc...
  • iamjude17
    Options
    One thing I would like to add, if you can not get more protein then you shoudl stop being vegan. It's a complete misconception that being vegan will automatically make you healthier. Meat eaters can achieve the same results. Ideally, you will probably want 120-150 grams of protein a day, especially since you are in your 40's. It is critical to maintain the amount of muscle you already have as it becomes harder and harder to maintain muscle as you age. So do some research and up the amount of beans or add a bunch more protein shakes into your diet. Additionally, resistance training will also provide more support in maintaining lean body mass. All of that will help prevent a metabolic from decreasing, osteoporosis, and etc...
    You answered a very important question to me. I was told previously by someone (not here) that if I ate too much protein without burning calories/exercising, that it would just turn to fat....so I was watching my protein!! So, thank you for that!!. And thank you for your input.....I think you all have given some really great advice, and I intend on following it!! That's why I'm leaving my diary OPEN, I want to be accountable for what I should be eating, and I want people to know, that, I didn't just post this question for attention or for any other reason but to understand and gain knowledge on how to correctly lose this weight!!! Your comments are all so very appreciated, and the time you took to read my post and respond is appreciated!!! @psulemon, I am vegan not because I think it's automatically going to make me healthy, I did for a couple of reasons. I think the food industry today want people to be fat and addicted to their product, I don't like the way animals are treated that are intended to end up my food. So, it was a lifestyle change I wanted to make for forever, not just a quick fix. I have a "Natural and Organic Foods Market" right down the street, so I can buy all the raw nuts, seeds, beans....whatever I need to meet my body's protein needs. I feel really good today about my weight loss plan, better than I have since I started even!! I am only weighing in once a month, my next weigh in is in 9 days, and I think I'm not going to see the weight loss I was hoping for, and I'm ok with that because I know that I was not eating correctly. So, no matter what that scale says...it's ok, because, Tomorrow IS the first day of the REST of my life being Healthy!!! THANK YOU ALL!!!
  • erin4455
    erin4455 Posts: 135
    Options
    If you want to add me, I'd be happy to help or advise or support - sounds like you're struggling so the first step is to listen to the posters on here - there's a lot of valuable information and wisdom to be taken and I'm sure if you're committed to make changes (even ones that scare you like an upped calorie goal) make them and don't look back, I haven't always been patient and willing to commit to a diet that didn't shed pounds instantly but that's why my metabolism fights me now. Slow down, make changes, feed your body and remain patient. Results will come.
  • iamjude17
    Options
    If you want to add me, I'd be happy to help or advise or support - sounds like you're struggling so the first step is to listen to the posters on here - there's a lot of valuable information and wisdom to be taken and I'm sure if you're committed to make changes (even ones that scare you like an upped calorie goal) make them and don't look back, I haven't always been patient and willing to commit to a diet that didn't shed pounds instantly but that's why my metabolism fights me now. Slow down, make changes, feed your body and remain patient. Results will come.
    I would LOVE the advice and support!!! About what you said regarding getting all my calories in, my husband and I are doing this together. We basically both eat the same, he may eat more, yeah, I'm sure he does, but NOTHING like what we used to do!! Two funny points to mention here. One, is our 10 year Anniversary is coming up, and he called me from work today and told me to check the acct balance because he wanted to do something for me for our anniversary. LOW & BEHOLD...we still have lotsa money in there!! WHY YOU ASK??? No more take out Chinese, Tommy's (the best Philly Steak Sandwich In the world, Pizza, Gepettos cheeseburgers and extra crispy onion rings....No More Expensive take out orders....Two. Since we started out juicing, apparently we have shrunk our stomachs to the point of just not wanting to eat as much!! I told him today what great advice I got from all these wonderful people, and he said (and I quote) "How ya gonna do THAT??? You don't eat that much, we're not really very hungry very often, how are you going to force yourself to EAT more, when mentally you are complete opposite of that??" You know what I said?? (AND YOU'LL ALL BE PROUD OF ME) I said, "You know what? If we trained ourselves to NOT eat, then we can train ourselves to eat correctly!! Yes, it will take some time....may have to work up to it, but IT WILL BE DONE!!!!" ( a crack of thunder right then would have been AWESOME, but nah, no Thunder) SO, I'm getting on a new ride, this roller coaster is BROKEN!!!! Thank you all!!!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    In terms of macro nutrients, I would say this... in terms of importance, it's protein, fat and then carbs. And no single macro will make you fat or gain weight unless their calorie content is in excess of your TDEE. Based on your stats, your TDEE is going to be rather high. While there is no benefit of eating more than 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass, it also wont necessarily hurt if you exceed that. I have about 176 lbs of lbm and I frequecnt eat 150-200 g of protein a day. But this is also why I suggest a macronutrient profile that will ensure proper protein goals are met as well as fats.

How many calories do you intend to go forward with?

Now, while the bike is good for exercise as it can provide resistance, I would also suggest starting a resistance training program for your upper body/total body. This will also improve muscle retention and help maintain your metabolism which will inevitably slow down as you lose weight.
  • erin4455
    erin4455 Posts: 135
    Options
    Congrats on your upcoming anniversary and it's a bonus to have some added savings because you're living healthier! I hope you guys get to do something fun...since your diet is a joint effort, you both deserve a treat!
  • Belliny
    Belliny Posts: 66
    Options
    Now I get why people eat their exercise calories! thanks =) oh and yeah listen to them they know what they are saying!

And yes, you should eat your exercise calories back - MFP is set up that you are already at a calorie deficit with the daily goal they give you. Meaning you could eat to goal, not do any exercise, and you would still lose weight, because the 1300 calories is less than what you're burning all day long. So when you exercise and burn off more cals, it's creating an even larger deficit, which is where you can run into problems of not consuming enough. You want your NET calories to be at goal.
  • iamjude17
    Options
    In terms of macro nutrients, I would say this... in terms of importance, it's protein, fat and then carbs. And no single macro will make you fat or gain weight unless their calorie content is in excess of your TDEE. Based on your stats, your TDEE is going to be rather high. While there is no benefit of eating more than 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass, it also wont necessarily hurt if you exceed that. I have about 176 lbs of lbm and I frequecnt eat 150-200 g of protein a day. But this is also why I suggest a macronutrient profile that will ensure proper protein goals are met as well as fats.

Now, while the bike is good for exercise as it can provide resistance, I would also suggest starting a resistance training program for your upper body/total body. This will also improve muscle retention and help maintain your metabolism which will inevitably slow down as you lose weight.
    Well, already have started my new thing...check out my food diary for today...and I'm going to work up to 1200-1500....and that low, but because I have a horrible back, right foot and right hip along with no gym member ship....I'm kinda screwed. This lady that runs a bootcamp program told me that unless I can do the bike very AGGRESSIVELY that all I would be doing is depleting calories. She advised to try and get the calories up, at whatever pace I can do, and then, after a period of time when my body recognizes that I'm not going to starve it, then i should start biking at whatever level I can do. Sound about right??
  • iamjude17
    Options
    Congrats on your upcoming anniversary and it's a bonus to have some added savings because you're living healthier! I hope you guys get to do something fun...since your diet is a joint effort, you both deserve a treat!

Thank you SO much!! It is SO nice to have him doing this right along with me....and I'm pretty sure I know what were doing, we talked about it sometime ago...I think it involves a bottle of champagne, some candles and a Jacuzzi?? lol Doesn't matter, we have fun whatever we do together!! Even when being devilish sharing a piece of Vegan carrot cake!!! Good luck to you as well!!:flowerforyou:
  • kaylaknight4247
    kaylaknight4247 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You'll lose weight eating a healthy amount, and fast too. You'll lose weight slower or not at all if you keep up eating so little -- eat more! Exercise moderately. Don't kill yourself -- your body is smarter than you think. If you don't respect it by starving and overworking it, it WILL backfire. I know partially from experience, and from research.

Anyway, it sounds like youre eating pretty healthy, besides the amount. Going vegan and eating more naturally is a great goal, but just keep in mind you still need to eat ENOUGH. 'no pride in starving yourself.
  • heygirl1000
    heygirl1000 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Ok how do you calculate BMR - I dont understand and I am stuck so any help would work! Feedback welcomed
  • psuLemon
    Options

Well, already have started my new thing...check out my food diary for today...and I'm going to work up to 1200-1500....and that low, but because I have a horrible back, right foot and right hip along with no gym member ship....I'm kinda screwed. This lady that runs a bootcamp program told me that unless I can do the bike very AGGRESSIVELY that all I would be doing is depleting calories. She advised to try and get the calories up, at whatever pace I can do, and then, after a period of time when my body recognizes that I'm not going to starve it, then i should start biking at whatever level I can do. Sound about right??

I would agree that you need to increase your calories. There is no real necessary to eat that little, especially since you have an estimated BMR is around 1800. I would suggest eating around 1600-1700 calories and on days you can exercise, then up it to 1800. In fact, if you can, just start weight training. It's much lower impact and if you do compound lifts you will get an anaebolic effect which means you heart will go pretty high.