Need Advice

Options
I'm sorry if this question has been asked before. I tried going through the threads but couldn't find an answer.

I have a lot of weight to lose but I am not just looking to lose fat. I also want to tone/sculpt my body so I look good after.

Is it better to lose the weight first and than start toning, or do it while losing?

What are some good exercises to do?

I don't have a gym membership but i do have an elliptical, stationary bike, treadmill and a bowflex.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy now
  • heather86RN
    Options
    Definitely start lifting! You need the muscle much more than you know. And you will burn the fat much faster. Your stamina and endurance will increase sooner, and you will look foreward to working out everyday!:flowerforyou:
  • woodsy0912
    woodsy0912 Posts: 323
    Options
    I agree with lifting now! Muscle burns fat very efficiently. I find a nice mix of cardio/ weights is good for me.

Cardio really relieves stress for me and gets a quick calorie burn, especially if I want to eat more that day, while the weights are keeping my muscles happy and turning me into a bad *kitten*.

I would suggest looking into New Rules of Lifting for Women. or Starting Strength. If you don't want to jump straight into that, easy into it with a DVD like 30DS.
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    skinnybitchbarbie27 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I started doing cardio and strength training from the beginning. When I post photos I always get a lot of people complimenting my arms because they're strong and not flabby. It will help with calorie burn as well as any possible loose skin.
  • caribear1984
    Options
    Agreed, start lifting now. It is easier to keep the muscle you have now than build it back up once you've lost the weight.