Weight training advice?

Options
I have a gym membership and have sorta used the weight machines, but realized that I have no clue about weight training. :blushing: So I'm asking for your advice...Please and Thank you!
How often should I lift?
How many reps?
How do I know I'm lifting enough weight?
Is it ok to do the machines that target the areas I think I need to improve or do I need work out all muscle groups evenly?
Should I be eating more protein when I'm lifting or is that myth?

Anything else you wanna share...

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have a gym membership and have sorta used the weight machines, but realized that I have no clue about weight training. :blushing: So I'm asking for your advice...Please and Thank you!
    How often should I lift? 3-4 days
    How many reps? 8-12 to optimize hyperthrophy
    How do I know I'm lifting enough weight? because you can not lift more than 8-12 reps
    Is it ok to do the machines that target the areas I think I need to improve or do work out all muscle groups evenly? yes, it's ok to start with machines but free weights will provide a better workout and also work your core as well as other muscles
    Should I be eating more protein when I'm lifting or is that myth? yes, because protien is a critical macronutrient to preserve muscle

Anything else you wanna share...

Bolded answers in the quote and a good beginner workout is strong lift 5x5
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Can you get a free lesson with a personall trainer? Bring a notebook and take lots of notes :)
  • tripletmom2004
    tripletmom2004 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. I would like to see the responses. :)
  • Sunny820
    Sunny820 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Lifting is great, glad you have decided to pick it up. Agree that those two link are good sources of info.

You are asking a huge question and the best thing is probably for you to get an experienced trainer to show you how to do some lifts and use the equipment at your gym. I’ll try for a few tips anyway, and if you search lifting I bet you find lots of advice on this and other sites.

How often? 2 – 6 days a week

How many reps? For a beginner, I would start with some stability work and focusing on form, so 2 sets of an exercise with each set being 15 -20 reps long ( 2 x 15-20) resting 30-60 seconds in between each set. Try that for a few months changing up routines every 4 weeks or so, and then think about a 3x8-10 or even 4x4-6 set-reps. As the # of reps decrease the relative weight should increase and you will need additional rest. Beginning with lighter weight and more reps should help you practice good form on an exercise with reduced risk for injury and also the long sets mean that the primary muscles will begin to fatigue and the supporting muscles with get exercised too, which will be helpful for injury prevention as you increase weight.

How do you know if you are lifting enough weight? Whatever the length of the set, the last 3-5 reps are fairly difficult or not possible.

Targeting machines or all over work? I am an advocate of all over work because the body likes to be in balance. I am a huge fan of multi-joint exercise (squat, deadlift, burpees, pull-ups and chin-ups, swings, snatches) because you get more bang for your buck. You work more muscles and mental capacity which I think gets people who are just starting to their goals quicker than isolation work. As you are new, you may not be so comfortable jumping into work like this on your own. Machines can take the mystery out of some exercises, but they do have limitations. This is where a good trainer can come in (and it is tricky to tell who is good and who is going to get you hurt, generally look for certifications including, but not limited to NASM, ACSM, of course, there are also a lot of people who don’t have certs, that know what they are talking about. Since you are a beginner, if a trainer is trying to shred a small muscle group like your calves early in a workout, I think that is a good sign that you should look elsewhere for advice. A good trainer will want to focus on a balanced approach, watching you for imbalances/weaknesses, interested in any past injuries, and correcting your form. You-Tube is also an excellent resource if you are going to go it alone. You can search an exercise and see a number of demos – and watch a variety, because they aren’t all good examples)

More protein for lifting? I think yes. 1g per lb lean body mass. If you don’t know your LBM, you can try for 0.8-1g per lb overall weight. Also get at least 10 g simple carbs and 20g protein (for women) right after a workout and have a good meal that is mostly protein and carb an hour later. This will maximize muscle recovery which means better progress and less soreness. If that is too much, then simplify it and just plan to have one of your meals relatively soon after you lift.