When did you get rid of clothes that dont "fit" anymore?

Options
fishsticks913
fishsticks913 Posts: 123 Member
I went thru my closet and dresser tonight and decided to put things that I know are too big for me in a pile for Goodwill.... but how soon to you actually get rid of them? I have only been doing this since January and don't plan on giving up anytime soon.... and have lost weight and am keeping it off.... but how did you decide it was an ok time to make the Goodwill trip?

Replies

• triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I cleaned out the closet on a once a month basis but I put them in the garage for months. I had quite a collection of clothes that I loved so it was rather hard to part with them permanently. A few months ago a friend asked if she could have some of them so I went through and gave her what she liked and gave the rest to Goodwill.
  • EvilDollee
    EvilDollee Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    As soon as something becomes too big, I just get rid of them ASAP. I don't want to save them for those "just in case I gain weight again", NO! Not going to gain again...bye baggy clothes.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Anything that is so big I wouldn't wear it again... then it's gone. I'm not going to grow back into it.
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    As soon as I realize they are too big, they go into the donation pile. Once I have a bagful, they go to the donation center. I want them out of my house as soon as possible. This way a 5 lb. swing doesn't become 10 or 20 or 50!
  • anyadelfuego
    anyadelfuego Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If pants or skirt, when the size is about 3 inches off your waist. For tops used for office work, if shoulder droops 1.5 inches from the bone joining your shoulders and arm.

I started my weight loss in january. I gave away all size 18 and I am now size 14. I still keep the size 16 until I drop to a size 12.
  • Evilsick
    Evilsick Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I got rid of about 16ish pairs of pants sunday that were too big for me, Some I've had for years But are now too big, I wore a size 13ish and now I am to a five.
    It felt amazing.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I waited until I had dropped several sizes. I was wearing too-tight 16's and once I got to a size 8, I let go of just about everything but the size 8 and 1 pr of size 10 jeans. I happily got rid of ALL of my large shirts and coats too. I'm never go back there so I don't need them. I kept one size 16 jeans just to remind me of how fat I was. I try them on once in a while to stay on track. lol
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    As soon as they didn't fit anymore. I actually sent some of my nicer clothes to a friend that I made on here and the rest went to goodwill.
  • LilOlMe69
    LilOlMe69 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I started in Jan 2011, lost most of my weight in 6 months, that's when I gave up my bigger clothes, little by little still giving some ( I really didn't want to give up) even now. :)
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    When the thought of ever fitting into them again made me shudder and I felt that my new way of life was something I could peacefully do forever. I don't want it to be easy to gain the weight back. So they are gone. It was scary for sure, and I had a few moments of panic, but now I am so glad I did it.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I just listed a sickeningly large retail sum of business clothes on Ebay. I can't even dream of fitting into them anymore, and don't think they can be tailored the way I need them to. I kept 4 suits where I can't wear the pants, but I fit in the jackets. Oh well....
    The crappy thing is that I had just bought many of them in June and August.

I haven't fit into them since December, and it's time for them to go....
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I kept a bunch of my big clothes for "just in case". I finally got rid of them when a family's house burned down. The mother is the size I was at my biggest and the teenage daughter is a couple of sizes bigger than me. So I gave them 2 garbage bags full of clothes. Benefitted them and benefitted me!! I can't tell you how cleansing it was to get rid of all those big clothes. It was so hard to think about getting rid of them until I did and now I just could not be happier!
  • KimLovesDon
    KimLovesDon Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Haven't given away any yet. Just haven't taken the time. :P
  • angijunbug
    angijunbug Posts: 205
    Options
    I got my "fat clothes" out of my house when my good friend said, "Girly, it's time to get rid of those clothes!" So, now I get rid of anything that is too big ASAP. I don't want to get bigger & I want to keep it off forever! It motivates me to lose more when I know I literally won't have anything to wear!
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm taking some of my favorite big shirts and attempting to down size them with my sewing machine. Mostly they are older concert shirts from the 90's so it's worth a try.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I did a big purge about halfway through my weight loss, and need to find the time to go through my closet again and get rid of everything that doesn't fit properly again.
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Why not do it now? Keep one pair of pants and one top and take everything else on your next trip by Goodwill. I think I had lost about 20lbs the first time I cleaned out. I also knew there was a local consignment sale coming up so I waited a few more weeks and sold most of my clothes there. I was also able to buy gently used "new" clothes that did fit at very reasonable prices. I just couldn't justify spending a lot of money on clothing I knew I wouldn't be able to wear very long.

I still have 1 pair of pants and 1 top from my heaviest weight and it feels so very awesome to put them on every now and then and see how huge they are!

Keep up the good work!
  • njgirl50
    njgirl50 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    In the past I have been a yo yo dieter & would give away clothes only to gain it back and have to buy more clothes, so I have kept them. My plan is to put them in storage & get rid of them after a year, But I also keep the clothes that are too small. This time I am determined to lose the weight and keep it off for good.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    As soon as it was too big it was GONE!!! Lucky for my friend she inherited most of it and the rest went to Goodwill.
    I did not want the crutch of having bigger clothes there to fit into should I fail. I wasn't going to fail! and I still won't.

The only thing I have kept is 1 pair of jeans and 1 shirt, and I put them on for progress pics every 25lbs or so.

You will feel so much more empowered when they are gone!!!!!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    In the past I have been a yo yo dieter & would give away clothes only to gain it back and have to buy more clothes, so I have kept them. My plan is to put them in storage & get rid of them after a year, But I also keep the clothes that are too small. This time I am determined to lose the weight and keep it off for good.

I have been there too.... I was also worried, but this time I said no going backwards.