Food Scale?

Options
2»

Replies

• bradfordjob
    bradfordjob Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have the biggest loser scale. its way cheap from bed bath and beyond and a good scale, also i weight everything but veggies. cups are not accurate. weight in grams for the most accurate measure
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    i use the ultraship postal shipping and food scale..it is very accurate. it does grams, ounces, and other units of measurement that i don't use. i like that i can put something on it and get a weight or i can put a plate on it, turn on the scale and it's automatically set to zero so that when i put food on the plate i am just getting the weight of the food.

i weigh things like apples, avocado, cheese, sausage, meat...bc really how big/small is a medium apple? for cheese, what is a 1/4 cup? it is loosely packed or really crammed down in there.

i've had this scale for years (was originally just used for shipping purposes). sold on amazon but ebay has them cheaper.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    If I'm portioning smaller items from a larger container (nuts, trail mixes, etc) I will measure with a cup for expediency. However, something with a larger volume that would leave a lot of empty volume in a cup, I will just weigh it (fruit pieces, meats, etc). I would trust the "weigh everything" approach more, but I'm not that much of a control freak :)
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my STARFRIT digital scale!!!
    scale_zps3f85f2f5.jpg
    Where did you buy these scales at ? They are very nice!
  • bethanykf
    bethanykf Posts: 68
    Options
    I weight almost everything I put in my mouth because it's too easy for me to lie to myself with measuring cups.... (a heaping cup vs a level cup of cheese can be quite drastically different). I just use a cheap, no frills scale that I got at walmart years ago. It does grams and ounces and can be zeroed out after each item so you can weight multiple things on the same plate.
  • joanneg572
    joanneg572 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my STARFRIT digital scale!!!
    scale_zps3f85f2f5.jpg
    Where did you buy these scales at ? They are very nice!

The Starfrit Nutritional Scale was purchased in Canada at Canadian Tire. It was under $20 (on sale).
    I'm not sure where you would find it in the US.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I bought a kitchen scale from Amazon a couple years ago and I love it!

http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Silver/dp/B001N07KUE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362343350&sr=8-1&keywords=food+scale

I find the easiest way to measure my food without making a mess is folling one of these processes:

1. Place plate on top of scale, empty. Use the "tare" feature to get rid of the weight of the plate showing up. Then add your food on (say if you're having a dinner of meat and veggies, I would put on the plate - tare - put on the meat & record weight - tare - put on veggies & record weight)

2. Sometimes if I want to just dig into something like a big container of yogurt, I put the container of yogurt on the scale - record the weight, have some spoonfuls... then put the container back on the scale and subtract the new weight from the old weight.

It's pretty easy once you get into it. I weigh almost everything now.
  • Frumpy2Fit
    Frumpy2Fit Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kaseyAnne425
    Options
    I have the Biggest Loser food scale from Bed Bath and Beyond.. I love it, I weight everything that needs to be weighed by WEIGHT, liquid measurements I do with a measuring cup
  • myfrogs11
    myfrogs11 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I just got one yesterday because I know I have no idea how much meat and rice/pasta I'm eating in a serving. The veggies I don't worry so much about. I don't know what 2 oz of sausage looks like, I had no idea.
  • SteamRoller72
    SteamRoller72 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just in case anyone is still looking for an affordable and effective food scale, I just picked one up from Bed Bath & Beyond. I went with the Sharper Image Digital Food Scale which retails for $24.99. I had the $5.00 off coupon and effectively spent 20 bucks. The thing works great! There is a glass plate as well as a stainless steel cover plate. You can "zero out" any plate or bowl you may need to weigh your food. I highly recommend a food scale for portion control and accurate MFP tracking.

I hope you all reach your fitness goals...
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I have the EatSmart one that was linked to earlier - got it from Amazon.com at the beginning of this month fir $25 and free shipping. Love it to death. Weigh just about everything. Even powders like flour :laugh:.