neck pain from crunches?

Options
Anybody else has sore back of neck from abs exercises (like crunches where the head is unsupported or squirms)? I'm wondering if I'm doing it wrong or maybe my neck muscles are just weak. And also what should I do about it?

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem. Part of it could be your form, and part of it could be weakness or strength imbalance. You want to tuck the chin slightly, which lengthens the back of the neck. My neck started feeling better as I got stronger all over, especially in the upper back, and most especially in the rhomboids, between the shoulder blades.

One option would be to stop doing crunches for now, and do planks, which allow you to keep a neutral spine and neck, and are fabulous for core strength.
  • aryastark8
    aryastark8 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks!
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I've always had problems doing anything in that position because it drove my neck nuts.

Then I took a pilates class and the teacher taught me some tricks, even as simple as imagining the tension going down to my abs rather than staying in my neck, and it helped. I thought it sounded so stupid, but just actively thinking about it made it somehow happen. It was awesome.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I have neck pain with them but I have some degeneration in my neck too. Good luck!
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I get that, too. It's not that my form is off, it's just that I am trying so hard to not use my head to pull myself up that I end up tensing my neck up and hurting it
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    A lot of people jerk their neck upwards when doing a crunch as a way to cheat the crunch a bit (probably dont even realize they're doing it 1/2 the time!)

Make sure you are not putting your hands behind your head when performing the crunch... touching your ears or similar is fine, but dont support or pull your head with your hands.

If you're still geting pain, leg lifts can provide some ab workout without having to keep your head elevated. when you're more comfortable, try the crunches again...
  • Ladyslippers
    Ladyslippers Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    This is what I said originally (and after some quick searching, I realize this may be completely wrong...which is a good reason to take everything on a board full of people with opinions with a grain of salt): I find that supporting my neck with my arms helps. Tuck your chin, cross your hands on the back of your neck, elbows sticking straight up, and cradle your head with your forearms. That takes the pressure off your neck and helps you focus on the ab muscles. Of course, this means you can't do things like "reach through" crunches where you reach your hands through your knees while you crunch...but until I can ask a personal trainer or physical therapist about it, this is how I do mine.

Edited to add: You may not want to do this. I learned crunches this way back in the 80's and exercise techniques, like so many other things, have changed a lot since then. Your best bet would be to consult a personal trainer or physical therapist or someone who really knows what he or she is doing to learn proper technique. That's what I'm going to do. :)
  • Ladyslippers
    Ladyslippers Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are not putting your hands behind your head when performing the crunch... touching your ears or similar is fine, but dont support or pull your head with your hands.

May I ask why you say this? I was taught to support my head with my arms...of course this was back in the 80's when Jackie Sorensen aerobics was The Thing, lol. Is there a physiological reason not to do this anymore? Thanks!
  • ianpullinger
    ianpullinger Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I initially had the same issue, but adjusting the way I performed them removed any neck pain. It was mentioned in a post above, but by moving your hands from behind your neck to the side (perhaps touching your ears) will stop you pulling on your head. The aim with crunches is to use your abs to pull you up. I also tried to concentrate more on trying to pull from my abs.

As another post mentioned, you can perhaps try a plank or side plant (ouch!) that does not aggregates the neck.
  • haephestia
    haephestia Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I pretend I have a grapefruit between my clavicle and my chin when I do crunches. That way I know I'm not straining my neck and using accessory muscles to complete the motion.
  • mhwiggins
    mhwiggins Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem until I started using an "ab roller". solved the problem immediatly! Purchased mine at a garage sale for $5.00. Check kijiji or the local paper then look on line for a complete range of exercises that can be done with it. Its a great way to "correct" form and provides a great workout. Need proof? Check my pics..... used to have a 34" waist and a beer gut hanging over it!
  • aryastark8
    Options
    A lot of people jerk their neck upwards when doing a crunch as a way to cheat the crunch a bit (probably dont even realize they're doing it 1/2 the time!)

That's strange. My problem is with exercises where the head is not supported by hands. If I can support my head with hands I don't get the neck pain. I also don't know what's the right way to position the neck in such exercises. Jillian MIchaels for example says that the eyes should be on the ceiling and the chin should be off the chest, but other instructors say to tuck the chin in (which I think is better for the neck pain).
  • aryastark8
    Options
    I used to have the same problem until I started using an "ab roller". solved the problem immediatly! Purchased mine at a garage sale for $5.00. Check kijiji or the local paper then look on line for a complete range of exercises that can be done with it. Its a great way to "correct" form and provides a great workout. Need proof? Check my pics..... used to have a 34" waist and a beer gut hanging over it!

What's an ab roller? Is that like a wheel or is it something else?
  • mhwiggins
    Options
    sorry, the best way to describe it is to say "google it"!
  • mhwiggins
    Options

What's an ab roller? Is that like a wheel or is it something else?

You can just see the top of it in the background of my picture.
  • canelly
    canelly Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    And that is why I don't do crunches or sit ups or anything like that yet my belly is still making great progress.
  • mhwiggins
    Options
    And that is why I don't do crunches or sit ups or anything like that yet my belly is still making great progress.

OK, so what do you do?
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options

May I ask why you say this? I was taught to support my head with my arms...of course this was back in the 80's when Jackie Sorensen aerobics was The Thing, lol. Is there a physiological reason not to do this anymore? Thanks!

Sorry for the slow response. Ive been doing karate for about 8-9 years, and most adults when doing warmup crunches try to support their head with their hands. When they try to do the crunch and it gets sifficult, they compensate the upward motion by pulling on their head which strains your neck. I did this early on.

Right or wrong, looks like there are differing opinions, but thats how our school teaches adults to do crunches to avoid injury.. Once I started touching my temples instead of hands behind head, I never hurt myself again.
  • Monisfit4life
    Monisfit4life Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem too and then one day I was watching a fitness dvd and they told us to push our chest towards the sky and that made me automatically tuck my chin under. Once I started doing that, the neck pain went away.
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Cross your arms across your chest. You can even do then with weight plates that way. Even better on an inclined bench.