Need help!

Options
I've been in a bit of a funk lately, my weight loss has stopped but that is because I have stopped trying, everything is getting me down, the gym is too much effort, my legs hurt all the time, my back is spasming constantly and I'm craving carbs an chocolate but am not hungry. I'm not sleeping and hardly eating. I cry at the drop of a hat and want to just crawl into bed and stay there. Is a visit to the doctor in order? I feel like I'm am having a poor me attack and I hate it but I don't know what to do. Has anyone else gone through this type of setback? This is a genuine post so if you are going to tell me off or be mean, please just find another thread to troll on.

Replies

• mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    First....I'm just so sorry. I haven't been in your shoes, but I've felt similarly at times. You're just rolling along doing well and then...everything is out of control. Actually, that's why I started MFP. And i share a back problem, though probably not the same one, so I understand the feeling of wanting to exercise and the back saying, "Oh, am I going to punish you for this."

I can't see your diary in order to offer any suggestions, but I just wonder whether you're being too hard on yourself right now, demanding too much of yourself. I've seen some people on this site take exercise breaks, really lighten it up on exercise for a little while, and the body responds. Of course I wouldn't recommend undoing your great work so far by giving in to cravings, but is there anything you could treat yourself with that would be healthy but also feel like you got a little pampered, a little bit of what you need?

Regarding the sleep and stress--and actually the pains--I highly recommend either yoga or meditation classes or both. As long as you go to a gentle yoga class, not something where you're twisting yourself in pretzels, it can be wonderfully relaxing and stop a lot of pain. In fact,I stopped getting massages because I found my yoga classes relaxed me a lot more and for longer. There are plenty of meditation videos on youtube that could guide you through. You might check out the "sa ta na ma" meditation. It's only 12 minutes, the chanting kind of helps you stay focused, and I've found it deeply relaxing. If you want any more specific info about which youtube videos etc., feel free to message me or friend me.
  • Partyofpugs
    Partyofpugs Posts: 105
    Options
    Get checked by your Doctor. You have many signs of depression. It could be that you are in a funk, but don't rule out more serious problems. Good luck!
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you are feeling this way. I feel that way a lot and have found that I need to make sure I get enough fat, protein and salt. THe spasms and soreness could be that you need more sodium. Or maybe you are overexercising? I know that I needed to slow down on exercise, I was drained and had no idea because I drank enough espresso to mask the fatigue. Coffee was another thing that had to go. Still drink plenty of tea but just something about the coffee was very depleting. Anyway, I have only ever seen someone once and I was a total mess. Often wish I had gone sooner. Try a holistic practitioner. That way they will look at your diet and lifestyle before they try to pump you with uppers or blame your childhood or something.
  • nora1666
    nora1666 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would go to a doctor just to make sure that you are just in a slump and not in a depression. If you are not sleeping and eating and crying quite a bit, those could be signs. It's worth having it checked out, anyway. The tiredness could also be a symptom. If it is not depression (or even if it is), adding stress reducing activities to your life: walking in a natural environment, if you can, t'ai chi, yoga and meditation can help. Good luck. Not all doctors will prescribe medication, btw, it depends on the individual case and the modality of therapy these days is not talking about your childhood but Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, which helps you to change how you think about things and your behaviors.
  • Cherbear67
    Cherbear67 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree with the above replies... Go see a doctor, I was the same way about 6 weeks ago and really cracked.. I was put on anti depressants.. Good luck.. It does get better.
  • LesleyGillan
    Options
    Thank you guys, these replies have really helped. I will go see the doctor and take it from there.