Q: Do you eat your workout calories?

Options
Hi there - I'm allotted roughly 1300 calories a day for the target I set for myself. If I consumed my calories and worked out to the equivalent of 600 calories, do I need to eat 600 calories worth of food? I've been behaving myself and following my allowed calories (not those I earned from working out), and I seemed to be gaining this week. I'm wondering about starvation mode and if I need to eat more. I don't feel hungry as I'm eating most of fresh vegetables and complex carbs.

Replies

• shubec85
    shubec85 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • frankp
    frankp Posts: 83
    Options
    I eat my workout calories.

I figure this stuff has been all figured out for me, I just follow the plan. I've read if you switch to starvation mode you won't lose weight. (I also only set my goal to 1/2 pound a week. I think it's not about dieting, it's about a life style change. I want to do something that's maintainable after the weight lose.)

Just get on the bus and enjoy the ride.
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I was when my calories was on 1240 or thereabouts. I've now bumped it up to over 1500 so no longer eat my workout calories back :wink:
  • TerrilynnO73
    Options
    I eat most of my workout calories. My calorie goal is 1400 calories per day and if I burn 500 working out, I will eat 200-300 of those. Remember, you are burning calories even when you are just sitting on the couch, so when I burn calories running or walking, I will subtract the calories I would have burned from doing nothing from the calories I burned working out to get a "real" number of calories burned during my workout. For example, I walked my dog tonight for about 3o minutes burning 153 calories. Then I used my calorie counter watch to see how many calories I would have burned just sitting on the couch, about 90 calories. So, in "real" burned calories, I only burned an additional 60 calories...so, when I eat my calories burned, I only eat the 63 that I burned.
    Okay, so that was totally confusing, sorry. The program already takes into account the calories you burn daily, so I figure I should subtract those from what I burn with my workouts...I hope this absolutely confusing explanation somehow makes sense and helps you out. :) TL
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat back a bunch of my work out calories.
  • meaningful99
    Options

I figure this stuff has been all figured out for me, I just follow the plan. I've read if you switch to starvation mode you won't lose weight. (I also only set my goal to 1/2 pound a week. I think it's not about dieting, it's about a life style change. I want to do something that's maintainable after the weight lose.)

This ^^
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 476 Member
    Options

Yes, this exactly. I do.
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    If I eat them back I only eat about 1/2 of them. I use MFP to figure calories burned and I think they are wayyyyy high.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    You should eat your exercise calories back IF you have your activity level (which you plugged in while setting your "goals") set to NOT include your workouts.

For example, I have a desk job so I set my activity level to sedentary. That doesn't account for my exercise, so I log my exercise and eat those calories back.

If your activity level is very static… that is, it doesn't change much, ever… then you could set your activity level to account for all your activity and not really even need to log your exercise. Just eat within the calorie goal. However, if you're activity level is more erratic - or it's just motivating to see the benefit of your exercise, or whatever - then set your activity level appropriately to not include "additional" calories burned, log your exercise, and eat your daily goal as stated on your food diary (not the base goal).

Best of luck.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    If I eat them back I only eat about 1/2 of them. I use MFP to figure calories burned and I think they are wayyyyy high.

After I got my HRM, I found MFP to be close on some of the activities, under on some, and yet way over on others… I would guess it would be a little different for every individual and the effort put into any activity on any given day.
  • garciabnm
    garciabnm Posts: 138
    Options
    only if i'm hungry. if i'm not, then i don't..
  • lexlyn14
    lexlyn14 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Hi...I try not to eat my exercise calories back or at least not all of them...This way I will lose more weight at a faster amount of time...But if I am real hungry I will...It depends on how fast you want to lose the weight...
  • rosha267
    rosha267 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't usually have a choice since I'm always insanely hungry after a workout
  • nerys72
    nerys72 Posts: 14
    Options
    that is strange. I try not to eat my workout calories. I wont cry if I go over a little :-)

the strange part is I never feel hungry after a workout. ever. in fact I don't want anything to eat after working out.

now a few hours later sometimes I get hungry but never super hungry. odd.
  • meggyshae
    meggyshae Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I DO NOT eat my work out calories!! That's how I'm dropping the lbs!!
  • The1iceQueen
    Options
    No
  • flutist4life
    flutist4life Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    only if i'm hungry. if i'm not, then i don't..

I do the same. Its about intuitive eating. You will still lose the weight if you eat your workout calories. I have done nothing but use MFP and a coupe fitness apps on my mobile to lose all this weight(over 45 and at least 10 dress sizes). I wonder why this kind of log isn't mandatory. I feel so much healthier!
  • imperfect188
    Options
    I usually don't eat them because I'm full. If I do I'll go 100 or 150 calories over by treating myself to crepes with nutella and 1/3 banana. I feel I owe myself that treat because I really push myself to work out. I don't make it a habit to do it everyday but there are those occassional days where I have a chocolate craving.
  • 5hellz
    5hellz Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat my workout calories either. But I'm also not on the 1200 goal either. For some reason I am eating less and not anywhere near hungry. I'm thinking that is going to be an issue very soon but I'm hoping I can continue to lose the weight. I've gotten to where I'm getting about 800-900 calories and A LOT OF WATER and I'm full most of the time. I don't limit myself on anything, if I want chocolate, I eat it, if I want a soda, I drink it, but I'm not really wanting much of that.

Any advice?
  • nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options

If your activity level is very static… that is, it doesn't change much, ever… then you could set your activity level to account for all your activity and not really even need to log your exercise. Just eat within the calorie goal. However, if you're activity level is more erratic - or it's just motivating to see the benefit of your exercise, or whatever - then set your activity level appropriately to not include "additional" calories burned, log your exercise, and eat your daily goal as stated on your food diary (not the base goal).

This is really well put!

My activity level is very erratic. When I play a game, I burn well over 1000 calories (as measured with an HRM) and I am STARVING afterwards. (Funny, that... it IS the way it is supposed to work, but appetite and activity are not always in line.)