Under calories, but your not hungry?

Options
My calorie goal is 1600-1700. It's the end of the day and I still have about 330 calories left to eat and i'm not hungry. Do you still try to make yourself eat? I really don't want to be in the 1200 cal range, but doing p90x at night is making me lose my appetite.

Replies

• erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat myself sick. But it may be beneficial to schedule your food accordingly for ther future. Also, I find it easier to drink my calories after exercise. A nice fruit, greek yogurt, and protein powder smoothie goes down pretty nice.
  • pattycake118
    pattycake118 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Don't force it. Some days your body needs more fuel and some days it needs less. Listen to what it's telling you.
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I don't like eating when I am not hungry - that is how I got this way in the first place!! That said, if I think I really need a few more calories I will eat a spoonful of peanut butter, drink a glass of milk, maybe eat some yogurt.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    This is an extremely common problem, especially if you are used to very low calorie diets or if you have just raised your calorie goals.

Leptin, the hunger-regulating hormone in your body, is produced in proportion to your eating habits. If you eat more, you'll feel more hungry. If you eat less, you'll feel less hungry. This is how you get anorexics eating 600 cals a day and not feeling hungry.

Try eating 100 calories more than you typically do each week to slowly raise your calories without feeling like you are stuffing yourself, and make sure that your calorie goals are correct by doing TDEE-15% or so.
  • tynishabeezfit
    tynishabeezfit Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Believe me I do want to want to eat. I honestly was fine before I started p90x. I'll try to add in more stuff earlier in the day. If its on a day I don't work out and only ate 1200 I'd be starving.
  • manique45
    manique45 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I totally feel the same way. I am on 1200 cal a day trying to loose 2 lb a week, However I don't really get to concerned about my cal intake just because I removed gluten and wheat from my diet so its super hard to get 1200 cal for me even worse that I am doing high burn cardio exercises and then it says to eat more. Any how, because I am a mommy of 3 and work full time, most days I can't even get a work out in until 6-7pm. Usually I have a light snack like a rice cake and peanut butter or peace a fruit to give me a boost before my work out. After the work out I am soooo not hungry. I know I had really low cals yesterday so I made myself eat a turkey patty. I am going to pick up some whey protein though. I think I'd rather just replace my cals with a smoothie :o)
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Eat more calories earlier in the day, then a protein shake or something after p90x.. but you shouldn't be skipping dinner.
  • thejackfact
    thejackfact Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What we do is bump each meal and snack by just a bit. An extra piece of toast with breakfast, adding more granola to the yogurt snack etc, etc. These add up quickly and will get you to your needed level and it is a very minor difference to eat at your scheduled meals and snacks. 300 made up over 6 meals/snacks is only 50 calories each......easy peasy!
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    peanut butter, banana, oatmeal, almond milk, a couple strawberries, a scoop of protein mix WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    gulp gulp gulp
  • darkangeljanie
    Options
    Do you have protein shakes? Maybe have a protein shake after you workout, it'll help your muscles recover faster and it has around 140calories per scoop. I usually have 1 scoop per 8oz glass of water.

Another thing, do you eat regularly? every 3 hours? Eating every 3 hours will speed up metabolism but you will also break down your calories for the day. Eat small meals regularly rather then big meals.

If I don't eat regularly enough and then I have a load of calories to eat my stomach has shrunk up like a ball and I will only manage half. Keep your stomach working throughout the day.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I have recently increased my calories (and yes,,the scale is starting to move again) and I also don't want the volume to get there. Try adding higher calorie dense foods to your diet. Use full fat things instead of low fat. Add nuts or avocado to your diet. They are full of healthy fats your body needs to function properly. You dont necessarily have to eat more, just eat smarter!
  • tynishabeezfit
    Options
    Eat more calories earlier in the day, then a protein shake or something after p90x.. but you shouldn't be skipping dinner.

I never skip dinner. I'll try the protein shake after dinner thing.
  • tynishabeezfit
    Options
    I have recently increased my calories (and yes,,the scale is starting to move again) and I also don't want the volume to get there. Try adding higher calorie dense foods to your diet. Use full fat things instead of low fat. Add nuts or avocado to your diet. They are full of healthy fats your body needs to function properly. You dont necessarily have to eat more, just eat smarter!

I never use low fat or non at stuff. It always seems to taste weird. I have added more coconut oil into my diet. I love avocado's, but they make me sick. :(
  • aimtolose5
    aimtolose5 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    can we have like a chocolate bar or crisp packet to make up calories?
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different.

Most of my days, I keep within range. Then there are some where I am completely ravenous and eat like a pig. Then there are some where I cant get past 1000 calories. Listen to your body. If you have calories to spare, but you're not hungry at all, don't eat.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I do that often. I just eat when hungry or skip it if not.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    can we have like a chocolate bar or crisp packet to make up calories?

Absolutely. Just make sure this doesn't comprise the majority of your calories and you'll be fine.
  • aimtolose5
    aimtolose5 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Just make sure this doesn't comprise the majority of your calories and you'll be fine.
    [/quote]

thankyou