Do you think I can/should do it?

Options
So... my minimum goal is to be able to fully run a 5k race. But... I was looking up races the other day since I've started running again after a month off and just wanted some motivation to keep running. It turns out, there's a running association that holds races just a couple miles from my house!

On July 4th, they have a 1k and a 5k. Right now, if I push myself I can run 1/4 mile at a time... and I'm thinking in exactly a month, I should be able to, by running everyday, and working on my endurance, be able to get up to 0.62 mile! What do you guys think? Do you think I can do it and should I sign up for it? I mean, if all else fails, I can run it with intervals and it'd still be exciting, I mean: MY FIRST RACE!

Replies

• mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    SURE! Go for it! Just being out there would be an accomplishment!!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    You can do it. Just remember to take rest days too. Those are the days that you get stronger.

Good Luck.
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    You can Definitely do it. GO FOR IT!!!
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I'd sign up for it! I have yet to hear someone finish a race and be dissappointed that they did it! It seems like people get even more inspired - I want to do one myself.

You can do it!
  • lisa06b
    lisa06b Posts: 11
    Options
    GO FOR IT!!! what do you have to lose..."It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." JK ROWLING You will be happy you did it.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You can do it. Just remember to take rest days too. Those are the days that you get stronger.

Good Luck.

For sure!! Last week, I rested Monday, then ran Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. I also had strength training days on all of those days and did cardio Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, walked a ton at Six Flags yesterday (Sunday). Today I'm resting and plan to run HOPEFULLY everyday this week except Wednesday (and today). I usually only walk/run up to 3 miles (and I'm only running maybe half of that). Do you think that's enough rest? I'm hardly ever sore and don't feel exhausted.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    you should totally sign up for the 5K...you dont have to RUN the whole race...get going on boosting your intervals and build your endurance over the next 3 1/2 weeks and do that thing....it's "only" 3.1 miles, you can totally do it!!!!!!!!

DO IT, DO IT, DO IT, DO IT....
    I'm cheering for you and you haven't even signed up for it yet....

good luck and remember to build up and take rest days and drink lots of water to keep hydrated...
  • BullDozier
    BullDozier Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    You can get a big adrenaline rush from being in a race, especially your first race. You'll likely be able to go farther in a race than you can in training, due to the rush of running with all those other people. Definitely go for it.
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    totally go for it girl :D you can totally do it :D i know you can :D

definitely a great way to get motivated to start something like that. my dad want to enter a contest also.
    and he is training :) so im happy for him... but envy him at the same time. but im really excited for him and his training :)

go for it :D
    and when the day of the race let me know how it goes :D i sure in hell want to woot for you :D
  • JJRunning
    JJRunning Posts: 146
    Options
    You totally can do it!!! Just takes will power!! When I started I couldn't run more than 1/4 mile at a time! Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • Cynduck
    Cynduck Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Go for it! What a great goal to motivate you :)
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Sign up! You WON'T regret it. Even just for the 1K - you should be well able to run that by then. Warning - it can be addicting :tongue:
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I say go for the 5K! A lot of people don't run the entire way.... you'll see lots of periodic walking- it'll be fun and you'll do just fine :smile:
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Go for it......You can deffinately do this.....Good luck
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    Go for it!! I live next to a lake that has a multi-use path that goes around it. The length is that of a 5K. Hmmm....... I've been doing about 2 miles and can't always jog the whole thing but Sunday I said screw it and went around the entire thing. Took 55 minutes but I did it. You can too. Keep training and you'll be able to run the whole thing!!
  • h_eloise86
    h_eloise86 Posts: 124
    Options
    DO IT!!!
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Girl, I know you can do it!!!! :D You're a rockstar you can DEFINATELY do it!!!
  • cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    GO FOR IT!!!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options

Good Luck.

For sure!! Last week, I rested Monday, then ran Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. I also had strength training days on all of those days and did cardio Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, walked a ton at Six Flags yesterday (Sunday). Today I'm resting and plan to run HOPEFULLY everyday this week except Wednesday (and today). I usually only walk/run up to 3 miles (and I'm only running maybe half of that). Do you think that's enough rest? I'm hardly ever sore and don't feel exhausted.

For someone just starting out it is usually recommended to run 3 days a week with 1 to 2 days off in between each run. There is nothing saying you have to do nothing on those days. I tend to bike or do aerobics on my "off" days and take 1 day a week where I just rest or do something light (yoga or short walk).
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    You have almost another month You can do it.
    If your walking/jogging 3 miles now, then you could easily do the 1K. So what if you have to walk after jogging 1/3 mile, have 30 second walk and then finish it off. You'll get a taste of it. Then of course, if you don't do it, you'll always wonder "what if" :laugh:
    Go for it!!

Just curious, what makes you stop after the 1/4 mile mark? Legs sore/tired? Out of breath? Heart beating high?
    Have you pushed yourself past that barrier yet?