When did you get rid of clothes that dont "fit" anymore?

Options

Replies

• Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    When one of the local charities schedules a pick-up, I weed my wardrobe.
    I like loose clothes sometimes. For instance, I'm wearing a sweater that's about 2 sizes looser than I could fit into right now. I don't own enough clothes that fit at this weight between my start and goal weights to get rid of all the things I've outgrown. At or closer to goal weight, I'll do more shopping. And I may tailor a few items that I really like down to my new size. I've always kept a couple of larger coats and sweaters to layer or loan to guests, but don't plan to keep anything that doesn't fit "in case",
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    When the thought of ever fitting into them again made me shudder and I felt that my new way of life was something I could peacefully do forever. I don't want it to be easy to gain the weight back. So they are gone. It was scary for sure, and I had a few moments of panic, but now I am so glad I did it.

I had my biggest moments of panic when I sold all my 'fat' scrubs. Not sure why I didn't panic with normal clothes maybe becuase I spend more time at work? So I can totally relate to this. But once they are gone you don't want to rebuy. Has def. helped motivate me.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    The reality is, almost all of us *will* regain the weight we lose within a year. We all resolve not to, of course, but we probably will. I have done so myself, many times before. So I pack away my fat clothes when they get too big for me, and I feel good about that. I pack them away and don't keep them in my wardrobe so that I will definitely notice if I have to bring them out again. But I don't get rid of them. While it feels good to have to buy new clothes because I have lost weight, it feels awful to buy new clothes because I have gained weight. It is also expensive, and hard to do right when you are not feeling good about your looks. In the past, when I have thrown out my "fat clothes" and then gained weight back, I have ended up wearing my "thin clothes" long past the point when I should have given them up. This made me look bulgy and fatter than I was, and it damaged the clothes so they didn't look good even after I lost the weight again. I'd rather look my best, even when I'm not doing my best with weight control. This means putting away those clothes, but hanging on to them.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I waited until the pants looked ridiculous even with a belt. :laugh:
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    As soon as something becomes too big, I just get rid of them ASAP. I don't want to save them for those "just in case I gain weight again", NO! Not going to gain again...bye baggy clothes.
    *this*
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The reality is, almost all of us *will* regain the weight we lose within a year. We all resolve not to, of course, but we probably will. I have done so myself, many times before. So I pack away my fat clothes when they get too big for me, and I feel good about that. I pack them away and don't keep them in my wardrobe so that I will definitely notice if I have to bring them out again. But I don't get rid of them. While it feels good to have to buy new clothes because I have lost weight, it feels awful to buy new clothes because I have gained weight. It is also expensive, and hard to do right when you are not feeling good about your looks. In the past, when I have thrown out my "fat clothes" and then gained weight back, I have ended up wearing my "thin clothes" long past the point when I should have given them up. This made me look bulgy and fatter than I was, and it damaged the clothes so they didn't look good even after I lost the weight again. I'd rather look my best, even when I'm not doing my best with weight control. This means putting away those clothes, but hanging on to them.

tumblr_loyzsmnUzv1qa219lo1_r1_250.gif
  • RSD73
    RSD73 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Immediately!
  • brandon0523
    brandon0523 Posts: 516
    Options
    I have seasonal clothing.. summer clothes for the cutting and competition months that i am.about 285lbs and winter bulking.clothes for those 300+ months.. i cant seem to ever get rid of them
  • significance
    Options
    WendyTerry420, does that gif mean you think it's terrible advice or a sad truth?
  • mrs_joshica
    mrs_joshica Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    For some reason I held on to them like children, I knew it was time when I actually had to hold them up WITH a belt on the final loop and looked like I was trying out for a rap video! LOL I knew it was time to get rid of them.
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I still have size 32 and 34 jeans... they look ridiculous as I'm 29, but still.. Gangsta style anyone?

Oh also still have 36/38 board shorts which I never wear except to sleep in as for obvious reasons... As like.. they fall down super easy :P
  • mrs_joshica
    Options
    The reality is, almost all of us *will* regain the weight we lose within a year.

Sorry but no, been over a year and not only have I kept it off, but am losing more. This is if you yo-yo diet, or do not do it in a manner that you can live with for the rest of your life. Fad diets aren't permanent, making healthy eating choices and exercise a constant in your life, NOW THAT is how its done. So anyone who read this and was discouraged, please don't be! It can be done if you do it right! Sorry to offend, but that just got me a little.
  • significance
    Options
    The reality is, almost all of us *will* regain the weight we lose within a year.

Sorry but no, been over a year and not only have I kept it off, but am losing more. This is if you yo-yo diet, or do not do it in a manner that you can't live with for the rest of your life. Fad diets aren't permanent, making healthy eating choices and exercise a constant in your life, NOW THAT is how its done. So anyone who read this and was discouraged, please don't be! It can be done if you do it right! Sorry to offend, but that just got me a little.

Yeah, I kept losing weight for over a year, too, in 2011. I lost 25% of my body weight in a slow and steady manner. I followed a carefully balanced diet and did a lot of healthy exercise all year (one to two hours of exercise every day). I regained almost all of it in 2012.

I'm not alone, and this isn't just true for fad dieters. Studies of medically supervised dieters find that it is true for most, most of the time.

This shouldn't stop any of us from working to improve our lifestyles, lose weight and become more fit. It just means that it is something that we need to keep working at all our lives, and will probably need to keep coming back to.
  • mrs_joshica
    Options

Sorry but no, been over a year and not only have I kept it off, but am losing more. This is if you yo-yo diet, or do not do it in a manner that you can't live with for the rest of your life. Fad diets aren't permanent, making healthy eating choices and exercise a constant in your life, NOW THAT is how its done. So anyone who read this and was discouraged, please don't be! It can be done if you do it right! Sorry to offend, but that just got me a little.

Yeah, I kept losing weight for over a year, too, in 2011. I lost 25% of my body weight in a slow and steady manner. I followed a carefully balanced diet and did a lot of healthy exercise all year (one to two hours of exercise every day). I regained almost all of it in 2012.

I'm not alone, and this isn't just true for fad dieters. Studies of medically supervised dieters find that it is true for most, most of the time.

This shouldn't stop any of us from working to improve our lifestyles, lose weight and become more fit. It just means that it is something that we need to keep working at all our lives, and will probably need to keep coming back to.

Well, speaking from over a year experience, and watching both my mother AND grandmother AND grandfather having lost and kept the weight of the rest of their lives, IT CAN BE DONE!

And yes, it will be a lifetime commitment, but it is a commitment that we intend to make when we purposely intend to be healthier.
  • significance
    Options
    Well, speaking from over a year experience, and watching both my mother AND grandmother AND grandfather having lost and kept the weight of the rest of their lives, IT CAN BE DONE!

And yes, it will be a lifetime commitment, but it is a commitment that we intend to make when we purposely intend to be healthier.

No argument from me there.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I was kind of sad when I had to finally get rid of my favorite sweater. It had become my slutty sweater. And it is just not okay to volunteer in a 2nd grade classroom in a slutty sweater.
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options

I believe statistically speaking, your family are in the minority. There are numerous published scientific studies that back up this statement that the majority of people gain the weight back (and then some). I can go find the studies on it if you're really that interested.

As for the OP's question...I didn't get rid of them. I took them to the tailor and had them altered to fit. Admittedly my pants only went from a size 4 to a size 0 and my shirts from a size 6 to a 2, so my loss wasn't extreme. And this was much, much cheaper than having to go and replace everything brand new, since most of what I wear isn't exactly cheap to start with.
  • princessrisariri
    princessrisariri Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    How about the clothes that you can't fit in anymore, but are just a size or two too small so you hope to slim into?

I can't decide if I wil be happy to get into an old pair of jeans, or if I lose a dress size will want to run out and buy myself all new things not wear my old ones?

Keeping them around my room just annoys me as I keep trying them on and they still don't yet fit.

Putting them in the basement means they might get dusty or smelly so I wouldn't want them back, adn some stuff is nice so I want to keep it nice.

I keep all my too big things for those bloated, feel like crap days where I want clothes so loose they are a big comforting tent to just sink into my desk in.
  • raychulj
    raychulj Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    My jeans are tight right out of the dryer and hanging off me after Ive broken them in.
  • jennb44
    jennb44 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I would get them out of your closet ASAP and give them away. My feeling is if I can't fit into what is in my closet and my clothes feel tight...it will motivate me even more to stay on track. There isn't the bigger sizes to fall back on.