Hot chocolate addiction

Options
Graelwyn75
Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
Suggestions for a healthy, non artificial alternative as a bedtime drink as I currently get through 3 mugs of low cal hot chocolate before bed. Herbal teas just aren't the same. I have real cocoa but always found it bitter made with water.

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Make it with milk and drink only one cup.
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hmm, what kind of herbal teas have you tried? If you miss the creamy taste, David's Tea makes a mint chocolate roobios tea, and Celestial Seasonings makes Bengal Spice tea, which is delicious with a little milk or cream.

Besides caffeine-free teas, I'm not sure what else to suggest. Could you make hot chocolate with skim milk instead of water?
  • apg2302
    apg2302 Posts: 667
    Options
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Hmm, what kind of herbal teas have you tried? If you miss the creamy taste, David's Tea makes a mint chocolate roobios tea, and Celestial Seasonings makes Bengal Spice tea, which is delicious with a little milk or cream.

Besides caffeine-free teas, I'm not sure what else to suggest. Could you make hot chocolate with skim milk instead of water?

Don't be ridiculous.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options

Yeah, thinking I need to ditch the sugary ones, and just find a way to have a cup of regular cocoa and go to bed right after. Bad little routine I have of staying up too late, watching tv, then after the first drink, I crave more and then another. Just cannot cut out all my sweet stuff yet.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options

Not sure there could be any tea that substitutes hot chocolate, the only chocolate one I have tastes nothing like chocolate,
    If there was a good chocolate tea, I would be first in line as it s costing me about 200 calories a night.
  • christocentrist
    Options
    Cocoa and milk, all the way!!

And if you are having trouble cutting out the sweet, I would just cut down on the sweets first. Like 1 mug of hot chocolate as opposed to 3.
  • Holli_Ann
    Options
    Let me know if you find one. I got 18oz of hot cocoa on the way to a meeting tonight, plugged it into MFP when I got home and was shocked that I wasted nearly 400 calories for nothing. Darnit.
  • ellygolightly
    Options
    Honestly, if you love it and you don't go over your calorie intake for the day, why NOT have it? If you think you're drinking too much of it, reduce it to one cup.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I often make hot chocolate with hot water, with just a bit of milk added in the same way I'd add a drop of milk to a cup of tea. If I have the calories, I use lite milk instead of water, but three mugs in a day be pushing it. I don't use low-cal chocolate powder, but I make sure I only use a little (one level teaspoon), so it isn't too bad.
  • stepheatscake
    stepheatscake Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I love making my hot chocolate with cocoa powder, skim or 1% milk, some vanilla, and sweetening it with splenda or another sweetener. even honey. I love it its delishious :)
  • KatjaO
    KatjaO Posts: 71
    Options
    I drink hot chocolate every night too, all year round. I drink it for the chocolate, not the sugar, so I make mine in a small cup with skim milk, use only good cocoa, unsweetened, and make it extra hot and sometimes spicy so that it lasts longer ( slower to drink). If you are in it for the sugar, try artificial sweetener, or drink less. My way is about 130 cals. I should mention, that I reduced the sugar first to half and later to just a bit an eventually none. Now I cannot stand the sweet ones anymore :)

I also recommend having a glass of water first, in the hopes that you would not crave for more to drink after that one.

Edited typos
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    How can you drink 3 cups of it before bed?!! I would be up and down all night to the toilet!

I never buy low cal/fat free anything and low cal instant hot chocolate is the worst. My suggestion would be to go out a buy a proper hot chocolate you have to make with milk. Not cocoa as I don't think you would like the taste of it after drinking hot chocolate.

Sometimes I will have a hot chocolate (Clipper Organic) and make it up with about 250ml of diary free milk (I don't drink cows milk) and there is no way I could drink more than one cup. I think the low cal stuff is just full of artificial sweeteners and you are addicted to the sweeteners if I am honest.

My view on this whole healthy lifestyle business is to eat foods that are better for me and the regular hot chocolate made up with milk is FAR better for you that 3 cups of low cal junk hot chocolate at night.

The milk will make a richer hot choc that will fill you up more than the instant stuff. If you try it and are still wanting the low cal stuff then I suggest you look into dealing with your addiction to the dangerous artificial sweeteners as it is not the hot chocolate you crave.
  • 87indiegirl
    87indiegirl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I make mine with Almond Breeze Original Unsweetened almond milk- only 40 cal per cup, 1 tbs of trader joe's cocoa powder and 1 packet of stevia. Delicious and low cal!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    chocolate protein shake?
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I would recommend low-fat milk, stevia to sweeten, and cocoa powder. I know stevia isn't sugar, but it's supposed to be natural, and also to me it tastes the most like sugar of any sugar substitute I've tried.
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options
    I am in love with this brand: cappuccino supreme "peppermint mocha"

90 cals, 2g fat, 90mg sodium, sugar is a little high at 13g but I love it!

I know it's not really a replacement because its really just hot chocolate too but if you add just half the packet to some decaf coffee that may help.
  • tamikia87
    tamikia87 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Make your own :) some water,cocoa to a boil on the stove, stirring constantly, add some vanilla and a sweetner or go light on the sugar, add milk and warm up! Cinnamon added makes a nice touch to it also.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    try..... Almond Breeze milk and Walden Farms 0 cal, 0 carb, 0 fat chocolate syrup..... warm it up in the micro or on the stove....