changes in menstrual cycle.

Options
I'm looking for a bit of advice. I've lost almost 60 lbs in 6 months and in the past two months, I've noticed huge changes in my period. I'm on a pill, so it seems like this really shouldn't be happening. I'll have at most 14 days between periods and i used to have a full 28 day gap. I've always been relatively regular, but now I either have a 2 week long period, or 2 periods in a month.

I'm not sure if that is cause to go to a doctor or not, but most of the other information I've found online was only relative to women who aren't taking birth contralto, and since I am, I'd love some input from anyone who might be able to help me out.

Replies

• alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    sounds like breakthrough bleeding which I get rarely while on the pill.. Some hormonal thing.
    but I would still go to the DR and get it checked out as most gyno problems are easily spotted early on. could be due to weight loss, a different pill may be better.

Breakthrough bleeding sucks.. I have noticed it happens when under stress and/or I skip a pill and have to doubhe up.
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Oh that sucks! I have the same problem (but I'm 41) and my periods have always been out of whack, even on the pill. I would get in touch with my doctor just to check things out. You may have had some hormonal changes and a new pill maybe needed. Good luck.
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Probably nothing to worry about but if you have been regular and are on the pill and there is a change, it is best just to get it checked out. Even if it just for your own peace of mind.
  • Nyksta
    Nyksta Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Weight loss can effect your hormones and the estrogen levels which will effect your cycles. I suffer from PCOs and my fairly 'regular' (between 32 - 42 day) cycles have suddenly gone to 25 and yesterday I started spotting on CD22. I have also gone from suffering acute pains/sickness/dizzyness etc related to my period to nothing last month which was weird.

I have had the same problem when loosing a lot of weight previously and I went to having cycles of 24 days which was horrible but it didn't last long (that I can remember) and I'm hoping my cycles will level out as my body and hormones adjust to the weight loss.

I am going to mention it to my Dr next time I go just in case but I'm not worries.

Nyk
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    After years of not getting periods then going to irregular ones about 6, 8 or 12 weeks apart - they then changed to being a fortnight apart - I said to the doctor about it and with me being so big all my organs had been squashed in and as I am losing more weight my internal organs are just sorting themselves out ( i was having problems with my bowels too) - I am not on the pill so I am not sure if that would make a difference, but for me it was nothing to worry about.

I am just looking at it as my body just sorting itself out now it has a bit of breathing space lol, I am not saying don't get it checked out, just that for me it was nothing to worry about :)