Stories from people working around pain/injury?

Options
upgetupgetup
upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
Who here is hot as **** and regularly works around a thing? Like a bad back, busted foot, something chronic and annoying (MSK).

Replies

• newmelady
    newmelady Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Or may be a disability like polio that stops from doing cardio..........................I have lost 20-22 pounds counting calories and IF. Now doing free weights for toning and strength. I need to lose 10 more pounds. But I know I can loose inches with the same weight by strength training. And by the way I am menopausal...................so all the odds are stacked quite nicely.
    But hey........nothing is impossible.
  • echippendale
    Options
    Hi ive had quite a few obsticles to over come hope you dont fall aslleep reading as its quite long,, i had my son in oct 2010 before then id been quite fit , but after having him the extra weight id been carrying had taken its toll. Before having my son i was 11st5 (161lbs), after having my son i was 15st7 (219.8 lbs). Things were ok til dec 2010, when i bought a kinect to get my self fit and ended up puting my back out, i ended up having physio and it turned out i had scoliosis which had inflamed causing a trapped nerve , i also had a unstable pelvis , so i started doing core strengthening exercises, things im proved in feb.

In March 2011 id managed to get down to 15st (210lbs) , i then noticed my left leg ankle was swollen and red and i was really struggling to walk, so i took my self up to urgent care, they xrayed and then they told me they had found a shadow on my tibia about the size of a golf ball. After many scans it turned out i had a large tumor, which had eaten away at my bone causing it to fracture, In april i had it removed, by them having to cut a window in my tibia and remove the mass, to do this they had to cut through my achillies tendon , i was in a cast for 6months, i couldnt get around which was hard to say my son had started crawling and climbing lol. All the weight i had lost i put back on. After a lot of physio i finally got walking again, in nov 2011 i was 16st1 (224lbs).

After christmas i started to get active again ,by july id got down to 14st 7 (196lb) , then i started having pains again and turned out i had pcos, i kept having flare ups of my back problem, and got diagnosed it the sept with hyper joint mobility, they said most of this was caused by being over weight. i started to eat much better and do little but offen low impact cardio.

I joined mfp on the 3rd of jan weighing 12st7 (168) ,i am now 11st5(161lb) back to pre preganacy weight, i never thought i would see this weight again. My health is much much better. Just this morning i even managed to jog for 20mins. Ive still got a bit to loose and im hoping my health with carry on improving :).

I use thebeachbodymom work outs on you tube and leslie sansone walk a mile, i also do some gentle toning exercises. If i can do it then others certainly can x

so nov 2011 i weighed my heaviest at 16st1 (224lb) and now march 6th 2013 i weigh 11st5 (161lb) all together i have lost 63lbs :)
  • Funnyfishat40
    Funnyfishat40 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Not sure about being super hot, but I am hyper mobile ( causing multiple surgeries) and have a prolapsed disks in my spine that need fusing however thanks to a previous butcher ... Sorry surgeon this is not an option, so I have to do what I can whilst not running or lifting anything heavier than a basket of washing, so what I do is, walk, Swim, walk, work out with weights and a PT ( to hand me the weights so I can lift them lying down), walk, calesthetics, walk. Good luck and if you can afford it a good PT will help you no end at the start.
  • maggiewithfins
    maggiewithfins Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have scoliosis ( curvature of the spine), I've had 2 major back ops fusing from T9 to L2, then a second fusing from T7 to L3, I have 4 rods and I can't count the screws. I am 32 and sometimes feel like 82 as chronic pain is part of my life. I have gotten used to the cycle of getting fit, having an injury, losing conditioning, feeling sad, eating, starting to feel better, starting exercise again, getting fit, injuring... and so forth. I battled with "it's not fair that I'm not like others my age" since my teens. But now I just know that this is something that I have to live with, make the best of it, and balance rehabilitation with fitness, and not using food as a way of coping with pain and difficulty. Once I accepted that it was going to be hard, and got the right mix of physical therapy, exercise, and diet (through so many trials and errors), and accepted that it would be slow, I have seen progress I didn't think possible and have a lot less pain than I used to.
    I swim. I'm slower than most, it's taken me longer to get the level of muscles and conditioning that others get, but for me it is a more meaningful accomplishment.
    I have just injured my shoulder, but I'm not disheartened, I know I will get better and have overcome bigger obstacles than this.
    I have noticed a shift in my thinking from thinking about what isn't working well about my body, to what is working well, and being proud of what I have achieved, not comparing myself to others that don't have the same difficulties.
    And I'm super hot. Thanks for asking ;-)
  • maggiewithfins
    maggiewithfins Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    PS, Add me as a friend if you like.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    bad back and knees... gym injuries to boot.

The biggest thing is to easy yourself into everything and make sure you're properly ready to do any movement whether it's anaerobic or aerobic. The other option would be if you have lower body injury train upper and vice versa. The worst for me was when I pinched a nerve in my shoulder with stomach bleeding that same week. It was right after I decided I was going to LIFT HEAVY! Took me 3-4 months to even get back to what I was previously doing.

Genetically I have different knees than most and my doctor told me that I have to be careful because of XYZ, but I am happy to say I'm still able to do back squats not at super heavy weight but can push myself passed 320. My back hasn't developed like I've wanted, but with proper stretching and lifting I don't have any chronic pain anymore.
  • upgetupgetup
    Options
    You guys. Are great.

It's amazing to hear about the kind of resilience, proactiveness, and strength in each of your stories. Thank you for sharing them, and congratulations on your success, despite the crappy obstacles in front of you.

Seriously appreciated :)
  • ZozoMonster
    ZozoMonster Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 2 stone in 6 months with a ripped disc and disc bulge in my lower back. I swim like a fish, walk my dogs and bust my *kitten* on the elliptical. I have quite a few off days when my back is not happy (probably because I worked out too hard the day before) but I just rest and then keep on truckin'.

Unfortunately my osteopath says I should avoid lifting so obviously weight training is not an option just yet, but that is what I want to be able to achieve soon to tone up and get some muscle definition!

12st9-10st10small_zps3b71b186.jpg
  • upgetupgetup
    Options
    You look great, ZSudds!
  • ChantalAguiar
    ChantalAguiar Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am 31 years old and since the age of 17 have had 1 lateral meniscus repair, 1 bone graft and 3 ACL reconstructions on the SAME knee. I've had to take a year at a time off on occasion...but I get back up! 2 years ago I once again tore through my ACL reconstruction and the doctors told me, don't run, don't jump, don't, don't, don't. Next up for this 31 year old female athlete is a total Knee replacement which they won't do because of how young I am.

In the past 2 years I have run more 5k's then I can count on both hands, run 4 10k's and finished in under 60 minutes, I work out at a cross fit like boot camp 5-6 days a week every week.

Yes it's swells, yes I have to ice it, yes I have bone damage and arthritis, and yes sometimes it hurts like HELL!

But as long as it keeps going, I'm going to keep going!

Work through the pain!
  • jamiep926
    jamiep926 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I had a fracture on my hip so I've been doing ton of swimming and cycling. Still can't jog or run but I hear swimming is better in the long run!
  • mbreed75
    mbreed75 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Lower back pain, torn ACL, torn cartilage in my wrist, torn shoulder rotator cuffs. I have found time and use heals. Stretch the tears as they heal. Immobilizing hasnt helped me.

Latest injury is wrist and one shoulder. Been lifting weights and they are slowly fealing better.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    My challenges:

Type I diabetic- high/low blood sugar affects everything, timing, energy, hydration... it's something I just constantly have to be aware of and calculate for. On the upside, if I am consistent with my lifestyle and diet, it stays more stable. Logging food has been a huge benefit. Still sucks, but I'm used to it.

Back pain- been seeing a chiropractor since I was 12 after several accidents. Any new activity can trigger it- I've had bad episodes after Zumba, after lifting, after yoga, playing with my nieces, you name it. Sometimes I am immobilized in bed for days. It is so hard to be forced to rest. I've learned to rest, do do yoga, stretch, and invest in massage. It still comes and goes.

IT band- I overtrained as a runner in college and have a chronic pain in my left leg due to scar tissue. I have managed to work up to a 5k again, but any more distance and it flares up. I have to watch it, cause it can get so bad I can't walk!

Cheesy, but these challenges make me so incredibly grateful for all that I can do. I don't take my strength and activity for granted. I don't waste time on unhealthy habits. I am so aware that I am lucky to be able to hike, or run, or play, and I want to take care of myself so I can do it all as long as possible. I know I must stretch and rest and be careful.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Shoulder tear injury from 3 years ago. I have to be really careful with things like pushups, tricep dips, and any weights up over the head. But I modify, do what I can and listen to my body if the pain flares up.
  • vb4evr
    vb4evr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Lots of great overcoming pain stories here, and definitely relate most to ChantalAguiar's

Just actually posted about my journey here this morning
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/916670-my-journey-thus-far
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!