What to take to a summer cookout?

Options
I have a big family reunion this coming weekend hotdogs, hamburgers, and chicken on the grill. I'm talking southern family reunion here and I don't know what to carry to allow me some healthy options besides summer melons. I never cared before but I have got to learn to eat better when I go out as we are always getting together during the summer with family. I cannot cheat at every event or I'll never lose any weight. Any ideas?

Replies

• jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    Options
    Make turkey burgers with whole grain buns, loaded with veggies.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Find a healthy coleslaw recipe if you like that - cabbage is great for you. I make a salad with chopped veggies - cucumbers, green onions, tomatoes, bell peppers and you put a can of niblets corn in it then put however much italian or light italian dressing you want on it. I chop up about 4 cups of veggies, add the corn and about 1/2 small bottle of lt. italian dressing - zesty if you like that. It's always cool, delicious and a big hit! Berries always make a nice dessert, along with melons too. You could take some baked chips if you must have chips - that would be a better option! Then you have some healthy choices without being boring :)
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Zucchini, squash, eggplant, bell peppers, that are brushed lightly with garlic and olive oil grills up nicely. Fruit salad. Three bean salad. Healthy deviled eggs, with non fat mayonnaise and spricy brown or just plain yellow mustard, paprika. My personal favorite is all sorts of raw veggies (baby carrots, celery, bell peppers, cucumbers are all good) with a Greek yogurt dip.

here is a recipe for a Greek yogurt dip: http://greekfood.about.com/od/appetizerssalads/r/tzatziki_sass.htm
  • canroadrunner
    canroadrunner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of "potato salad" recipes made with cauliflower to try.
    Also, something I like to take to potlucks is black beans, rinsed and drained, mixed with can(s) of niblet corn, drained, some chopped onion and all mixed up with salsa (fresh is best but Old El Paso will also do.) There are no exact quantities. I usually just use one can beans to one can corn to enough salsa so it's juicy but not runny. I like onions so I put in more but i've also left them out.
    This will function both as a cold salad and as a taco chip dip.

I eat this sometimes as a main course for a meatless meal.
  • fowlmeli1093
    fowlmeli1093 Posts: 199
    Options
    I just tried Boca meatless burgers. I put them on the grill and used a 100 calorie bun, had some famous daves barbeque sauce and topped it with a little onion....WOW! For 220 calories it rocked! I also try to bring veggies and fat free dips. The worst thing to do at a cookout is not eat, because then everyone will hound you to try "their barbequed beans" or their new salad they just made and want to know what you think of it. So veggies will give ya something low cal to continue to munch on..
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    kabobs! meat and veggie...veggie and tofu....fruit!

yum! yum! yum! :)
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Veggies and hummus
  • baggins706
    baggins706 Posts: 310
    Options
    Turkey Kielbasa with sautéed red onions and bell peppers OR sauerkraut Yum ADD a plate of Bush's Baked Vegetarian Beans and your set... all that's left is a nice whole grain mustard!
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    A nice big cous cous or quinoa salad with spring onions (scallions), pomegranate seeds,griddled peppers,etc. Also what about some cajun spicy style fish....be great on a bbq!
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    if there's already going to be burgers, dogs, and chicken, definately go for the chicken when its time to eat. melon and raw veggies and dip are great to snack on. also fresh salsa and baked corn or rice chips aren't too bad. for sides to go with lunch/dinner, skip the potato salad or macoroni. maybe make a healthy version of pasta salad? you can use whole wheat pasta and add fat free dressing and lots of veggies! other sides that are AMAZING on the grill are sweet potato wedges with salt/pepper and cooking spray and a mix of sliced red onion, colorful bell pepper, and zucchini/squash. we grilled the veggies at our memorial day party and they were a hit! who would ever imagine that everyone, the kids included, would be loading up their plates with the vegetables!
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    Options
    Whole Wheat Pasta Salad
    Hummus & Pita Chips
    Fruit Platter (watermelon, pineapple, melons, oranges, cantelope, cherries, etc.)
    Veggie Platter (cucumber, green/red bell pepper, broccoli, cauliflower)
    Strawberry Shortcake
    Turkey/Chicken Sausage
  • bksteve26
    bksteve26 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have tried a variation of this pasta salad and its really delicious, i can't exactly vouch for this one...but its worth a shot!

2 pkgs. cole slaw mix (1 lb. total) with carrots
    2 pkgs. Ramen Noodles (oriental or beef flavor)
    1 pkg. slivered almonds (toasted)
    Green onions (amount optional)
    Seasoning packets from Ramen Noodles
    1/3 c. cider vinegar
    1/2 c. salad oil (scant)
    1/2 c. sugar (scant)

Mix vinegar, oil and sugar with seasoning packets from Ramen noodles. Break Ramen noodles into pieces and mix with slivered almonds. Mix all ingredients just before serving.
  • Sprinkles77
    Options
    Thanks for so many ideas. No one will be "allowed" near my uncles grill ann he thinks all veggies should be fried so that is outta the question but great ideas for me to try at home once I get that grill.
  • rcatr
    Options
    I wanted to bump this for people who were looking for ideas. I just went to a bbq this past weekend and was able to make it through on veggie burgers, salad and fruit salad. As we get deeper into summer, I know more people will be looking for suggestions, so keep adding them in. OP, this was a great topic! :smile: and good luck at your BBQ!
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thanks for bumping! I went to a BBQ this weekend, too, and took corn on the cob and fresh pineapple slices.
  • rcatr
    Options
    yum! two of my favorites! :love: