I don't think I can eat this much!!

Options
For the last 2 weeks I've only done 1200 cal/day everyday, because I don't eat back my exercise calories. Well now this past week I only saw a 0.6lb drop so I decided to adjust. Using a few different sources other than what MFP calculates for me I am supposed to eat more... to lose my projected 2lb per week. I've now set my daily goal to 1400 cal/day and will prob eat back some of my exercise cals now just so I don't have a gaping deficit each week but will still be on track for a 2lb loss.

I've already had breakfast and lunch today and by the time I exercise I will have over 1,000 calories left to eat today!!! :noway:

I can see this repeating several days of the week because I don't like to eat a big breakfast and I don't like 'forcing' myself to eat when I'm realy not hungry. I think this is why when I was younger and was able to shed 50lbs, I never really counted calories or ate any 'diet' foods. I ate what I wanted to, just smaller portions and avoided overeating yet still managing to lose 50lbs in less than 6 months. Maybe I should just do that again. Not get all these 'diet' versions of things. Just get the regular cheese and sour cream, just measure the portions. Anyone else have this issue? :huh:

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I went from 1200 and not eating all my exercise calories to 1400 and eating all my exercise calories so it ended up being at the minimum, 400 extra calories per day. It's hard!! Your macro nutrients' goal for the day also went up, which means protein. That's been the hardest for me so I started incorporating a protein shake after my work outs and that brings up my protein goal by 25 grams. I had to start planning my day at the beginning, usually after breakfast. What usually works for me is my normal bowl of cereal (usually 1 cup or I'll do 1 1/2 servings, with 8 oz. of milk - I measure it first, if it doesn't all go in the bowl, I chug the rest just for the extra protein & calories) with an egg and some fruit. Then lunch, an easy way to fill up on calories is nuts and seeds. Almonds are pretty high calorie for not that many and that will help your fiber & protein counts. Dinner, just eat a little more protein than you normally would. I was eating 3-4 oz. of meat, when now I have to eat at least 4, and sometimes 5 oz.

Also, you may be underestimating your portions, so try to measure as many things as possible because it could be easier than you think! I was eating more meat than I thought I was before and got overwhelmed because I was stuffed on what I was eating. Now I know, the chicken breasts I'm eating, I have to slice in half for it to be 4 oz. :happy:

Hope this helps!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately no.

I'm always fighting NOT to eat too much :laugh:

If you naturally eat small portions, I don't see the reason to eat "diet" versions of food - that's silly, especially if you keep ending up way under calories for what you should be eating. So long as your nutrients are not deficient, then you're fine.

:smile:
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately no.

I'm always fighting NOT to eat too much :laugh:

If you naturally eat small portions, I don't see the reason to eat "diet" versions of food - that's silly, especially if you keep ending up way under calories for what you should be eating. So long as your nutrients are not deficient, then you're fine.

:smile:

Same here. I can't say I've ever had the problem of not being able to eat enough, but I wouldn't recommend "diet" versions of food to anyone (with the exception of fat-free dairy, which has only had the fat skimmed, no fillers, salt or sugars added). Whole food, in its most unprocessed as possible is always best and most nutritious, in my opinion.

Also, work on planning your day, including exercise, ahead of time so that you can hit your targets. That has helped me (although my problem is making sure I am not going over, instead of the reverse).
  • yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Try adding more calorie dense nutritious foods, like natural PB, raw nuts, avocados, and olive oil!
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Well by 'diet' versions I don't mean diet pop or things loaded w/ artificial sweeteners or chemicals. Although I do consume some of them. But I have been buying the low-fat cheeses or low fat sour cream and I can't do skim milk so I stick with 2%, whole makes me sick.

I have a hard time because I don't eat much meat, so meeting these protein requirements is insanely difficult. I'm a nurse and on days I work I usually just eat a protein bar for breakfast, it gives me at least 15g and keeps me full 'til lunch. Yes I know, I shouldn't eat a processed meal bar, but a) I don't have time (nor do I want to *make* time at 5am to cook a protein rich whole-foods breakfast!) and b) I get nauseated in the mornings so I would normally skip breakfast all together and I'm doing good just to choke down my protein bar. I'm mostly repulsed by eating large quantities of meat and at that I will only eat chicken or turkey. I don't like/eat seafood or fish and definitely no red meat. I've recently discovered that I like egg whites, so I make those sometimes on my days off but it's not something I will eat everyday. I don't like tofu or tempeh or any veggie protein sources and making protein shakes is just unnatural and gross to me! LOL

The main problem is I like carbs. I'd much rather eat vegetables and fruit at a meal than a big hunk of meat. I've always eaten "smaller portions" but the reason why I gained the weight is from eating the wrong foods that were small portions, but very dense in empty calories. Lots of fast foods, lots of sweets, cookies, cakes, ice cream...

I've done great my first two weeks on my "diet" plan w/ the 1200 calories and was even having some nights with 200 or so calories left over because I just wasn't hungry. Now I have even more to eat and I'm scratching my head as to what to do about it!

*sigh* It's hard!
  • Bthack
    Bthack Posts: 48
    Options
    Natural Peanut butter is also good (and it'll get your protein up too) 2 tablespoons are 190 cals. Spread on a rice cake or, slice of bread, banana, celery, etc. Mmm. now I want some!

Hummus is also a good addition (Ive also been adding avocado to my sandwiches for extra calories) Hope this helps!

-Becky
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Natural Peanut butter is also good (and it'll get your protein up too) 2 tablespoons are 190 cals. Spread on a rice cake or, slice of bread, banana, celery, etc. Mmm. now I want some!

Hummus is also a good addition (Ive also been adding avocado to my sandwiches for extra calories) Hope this helps!

-Becky

:blushing: I already did! LOL I knew I was going to have tons of calories to eat today so I splurged a little on lunch and had a PB&J on a bagel thin! And I eat the baaaaad kind of PB.... the only kind I like... Peter Pan Honey Roast! :smooched: So it's 200 cal for 2tbsp and only 8g protein :grumble:

I've still got a need for about 40g protein left today. I could make a ground turkey burger for dinner on a bagel thin but I guarantee you I'd only eat half of it! *sigh* I know I shouldn't be complaining about needing to eat more when I'm trying to lose weight and so many of you have the opposite issue! Sorry! :flowerforyou:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    What about greek yogurt with a handful of nuts and berries thrown in - 18 grams of protein or more (if you add the nuts)
    Don't be afraid to use shakes as meal replacements. Particularly if we are talking shakes that include nuts, seeds, fruits/berries and protein sources - it's basically akin to a healthy meal but just blended for convenience.

I love almond milk but it's not that concentrated in calories. You can either go with full fat coconut milk (use about 1/4 - 1/3 cup) or either almond milk plus additional nuts like walnuts or pecans. The beauty of coconut milk is the medium chain fats it contains are much more difficult for your body to store as fat - they preferentially get burned for energy. So even though you see a high saturated fat reading on the label - your body knows exactly what to do with those fats. That being said, I still wouldn't drink a couple cans of the stuff each day:wink:

If you find it easier, aim for 2 shakes + 1 solid meal each day right now. Even getting 3 consistent meals will go a long way towards helping you get your metabolism back on track. Then over time, work on getting 4 and 5 feedings in.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I meant to add that I too struggle to get all my calories in, so my dietician recommended a lot of what I suggested to you. I'm following a high protein/high fat diet due to some metabolic issues. Since eating this way I was struggling to eat more than 800 calories/day since I was eating such nutrient dense foods. This has helped me out tremendously.