Low blood pressure > high heart rate?

Options
xidia
xidia Posts: 606 Member
My mum's been running for years and is qualifying as a coach. Her heart rate at a sustainable rate is considerably higher than the standard formulae would indicate is "healthy". I've been running a year, and my 4-5mile pace gives me a steady heart rate of 176. I have no idea what my sprint peak would be.

We both have low blood pressure (98/62 for me last time I was checked) and I wondered if our heart rates have to be higher to move an equivalent volume of blood (and therefore oxygen) due the the lower pressure.

Can any fitness experts shed any light on this?

Replies

• Bardane
    Bardane Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi

Blood pressure is low for 3 main reasons:

1. Blood loss (0bviously not your problem
    2.Dehydration ( I assume you both stay hydrated!)
    3. Reduced volume of blood being pumped due to heart beating too quick and the pump not getting chance to fill properly between beats
    4.Relaxed arteries (most likely your case), which is very healthy!

Note: I am not a doctor and you should discuss this with your doctior if you are concerned. :wink: There are a few mechanisms in place to keep these things in balance and problems with these ie outside of the heart/blood vessels themselves, but end effect is the same. Generally the cardiovascular system is like plumbing in a house....pipes of varying sizes that can get blocked with crap and a pump in the middle to keep it circulating. Except we aren't on town water and rely on a limited tank , so try to recycle what we can.

Sorry that turned into a ramble. :flowerforyou:
  • xidia
    Options
    Thanks - the GP view is that I'm not passing out, so it's not a problem.

My question was more around the effect on heart rate though - if there is less fluid in my pipe (because the pressure is lower), does it take more pumps to move the same volume of blood compared to someone with more fluid in the pipe? ie, is my exerting heart rate high because my blood pressure is low?
  • xidia
    Options
    bump - anyone else?
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    The formulas are generalities. Kinda like the BMI. Not a bad tool to get an idea, but by no means the end all be all. Your max heart reate is the maximum number of beats your hear will beat.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    98/62 really isnt that far off from the standard deviation of blood pressures - tachycardia from volume depletion generally onsets at a much lower BP. If your GP who has all of your information isn't worried, then his advice is better then this forums.

also it is impossible to tell why you have a 'high' moderate pace HR based on only the information given: it could be many many reasons
  • KassLamb
    KassLamb Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this too. When I really get going on the elliptical, my heart rate can go between 177-189. I feel fine and can maintain it for 45 minutes at least. I have low blood pressure, too. I wasn't really worried, but curious as to why my HR jumps up so high.
  • drivermarshy
    Options
    I have normal blood pressure and a Resting heart rate of 38... On a recent work medical the nurse asked if I was on beta blockers. Having already known being half way fit causes a low heart rate, I told her my general weekly routine and she was fine. Basically said unless I start to feel tired and lacking energy a lot it's nothing to worry about :)
  • bethgrayster
    bethgrayster Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I also have Low Blood Pressure and High Heart Rate. Unfortunately it was causing me to pass out frequently. I see a cardiologist and take medication to raise my blood pressure and stunt my heart rate now. The doctor told me to eat a high sodium diet to raise my blood pressure and always be drinking something to keep my blood volume high which in turn increases my blood pressure and helps me not get as many dizzy spells. As for the heart rate, even with the meds, when jogging or walking swiftly up hill, mine hits 185-190 in about 30-60 seconds. I was told if it feels like too much, or you start getting dizzy or seeing spots in your vision, slow down. Otherwise just listen to your body and keep on going.

TL:DR: If you feel fine, keep on, if it feels like too much, slow down. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • xidia
    Options
    98/62 really isnt that far off from the standard deviation of blood pressures - tachycardia from volume depletion generally onsets at a much lower BP. If your GP who has all of your information isn't worried, then his advice is better then this forums.

also it is impossible to tell why you have a 'high' moderate pace HR based on only the information given: it could be many many reasons

Thanks. The "normal" over here is given as 120/80 so I am classed as low in the UK (a continental European doctor tried to put me on meds for it), and I can't give blood unless mine happens to be over 100 on that day.

I'm not bothered by the low blood pressure or my heart rate at all, I was just curious at the correlation between low blood pressure and high heart rate and wondered if anyone else had the same thing and what the reasons might be.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Heeeey! Yeah. I'm totally in this group. My normal bp is like 90/55, but sometimes drops to 70/40 when I'm not maintaining myself properly. I can workout for 45-50 minutes with a sustained heart rate of 177 no problems. I was wondering why I always display as "off the charts" or "danger" on all the cardio equipment. Nice to know I'm not alone...