Exercise in a second floor apartment

Options
I'm moving into an apartment soon and I'm afraid of making neighbors angry if I continue following exercise DVDs. For the past few years I've been living in a basement so I could workout as hard as I wanted to and not care at all. And now I'm really excited about the new Turbo Fire workouts coming out, and want to get them when I can, but it looks like they are going to have a lot of jumping. Does anyone here live in an apartment and workout at home? If I stick to reasonable hours (I generally workout sometime between 10am and 7pm anyway) do you think people would mind a little noise too much? Should I bring up the concern with the apartment manager when I move in?

Replies

• Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    My suggestion is go talk to your below neighbors and explain. They may have a baby and have specific naptimes that they'd like you to avoid but I bet they're receptive and fine with you working out :). I used to live in a bottom apartment and I never minded pounding on the floors during the daylight hours. At night is another story, once had a neighbor that seriously moved her furniture 3 nights a week around 11pm I swear lol, that was irritating.
  • HealthyKt78
    HealthyKt78 Posts: 439
    Options
    I wouldn't bring it up with the apartment manager but maybe go visit your downstairs neighbors when you move in. Just tell them you workout in your home and if they ever think you're too loud they can feel free to tell you nicely to quiet down. If you're nice to them and they're nice people then they'll probably be understanding.
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Honestly, coming from a person who only lives on the first floor.... it would drive me insane to have someone upstairs jumping around for an hour! Even during the normal daily hours! I choose to live on the first floor because I'm not exactly light on my feet, and neither are my dogs so I wouldn't want to disturb the person beneath me.

Can you get a first floor apartment?
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I agree, I'd talk to your new neighbors as soon as you have the chance. If they know what's going on up there, it may not seem so bad if they do notice it at all. (You might get lucky and they'll be at work while you're exercising :happy: ) Either way I'm sure they'd appreciate you coming to them with it first. Your apt. manager would probably just say if he gets any complaints you'll get in trouble.
  • DwightJenkins
    DwightJenkins Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The worse they can say is NO... I'd take them a plate of cookies or whatever and introduce yourself for a start... and explain your situation... If the upstairs neighbor did that with me, it would go a long ways towards a cooperative arraignment.
  • bikinikillaer
    Options
    I'd talk to the landlord/front desk about it, then greet your downstairs neighbor and just mention it. I live on the second floor and the gentleman below us has never said anything about noise, and we play a lot of video games and watch movies with friends. :)
    But I'll have to start that relationship over in a couple of weeks when my boyfriend and I move to a larger apartment in another building over. Hopefully the new neighbors will be just as nice.
  • Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    Can you get a first floor apartment?

The only available apartment was second floor.
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    I live on the second floor in a two story apartment. Honestly, my neighbors are so freakin' obnoxious blasting their bass and speakers that what noise I do make (since not all my workout include impact) they don't say anything.

I have however gone down and talked to them. Explaining its just me working out and they understood and were just fine with it. When people live to close to one another, you are going to hear your neighbors from time to time. Just the way it works. I would just let them know and do what you can to minimize the noise.

From my experience, its not really a big deal as long as they know.
  • HeatherBurke
    HeatherBurke Posts: 147
    Options
    Well... my neighbor downstairs is a major b****!! She says I walk too loud, my TV is too loud when I can't even hear it, she listens to my boyfriend and I have sex, EVERYTHING!!! I've gotten to where I worry aboua vaccuming because of her. It's horrible. I've gotten to the point where I will do some exercises at home but plyo, kenpo etc I won't just because I try to be as nice as possible even tho she doesn't deserve it.. After all her son slams doors and plays war games at 1am and knocks things off my walls but you know, who's paying attention???

I would say just do it. Everyone has the right to live in THEIR home the way they want... to an extent.. I wouldn't blast my stereo or surround sound like I'd like to but I mean, exercise... screw em. Get over it is what I say.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I guess I feel like a bit of noise is one of the prices you pay for apartment living. Our upstairs neighbors often sound like they are bowling in their living room. They also seem to move furniture a lot and the woman walks in her heels all the time. But I bet a lot of that noise is just normal daily activity (still not sure what the bowling sound is, though....). I sometimes hear neighbors on the other side fighting and for awhile their dog would bark for long periods of time. Yeah, it gets annoying, but we can't rightly expect our condo neighbors to be quiet little mice all the time. You workout and you want to do it in your home. That seems perfectly reasonable, daily activity to me and, provided it wasn't done too early (maybe before 6 am) or after 10 pm, I wouldn't have a problem with it.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posts above: just talk with the downstairs neighbor. Personally, I'm gone all day Mon-Fri, and half the time I'm out with my boyfriend on weekends. The only time noise annoys me is when I'm trying to sleep, and it's usually more from the stairwell and the 6 A/C units chugging away outside my living room window!
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    I live in on the 2nd floor of the apartment building ..and you know I do my work, it's not that long .. just 15 to 30 minutes .. nobody complains!
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I know that when I used to live in an apartment, noise was fine as long as it wasn't deafening and wasn't really early in the morning or really late at night. This one woman used to vacuum at 2am and it drove me INSANE. If you're really worried you should follow the general census on here and go talk to them.
  • sakitchens
    sakitchens Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I lived in a bottom floor apartment and had a rental office above me. They were not really that loud even with all the people walking around. I think that most people understand that living in an apartment is not always going to be the quietest place to live. I think the neighbors will understand especially if you introduce yourself and let them know ahead of time. Good Luck!
  • Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    I'm so unbelievably shy I hate approaching anyone, and am actually inclined to hide from people as much as possible. :ohwell: But I guess that's not really practical when living in an apartment community. I'll just have to force myself to get over it and introduce myself I suppose! At least I plan on biking for exercise through the summer, so it gives me time to get up the courage.

Thanks for the replies!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I've been living in my 2nd floor apartment (in a building with 3 floors) since February and I've been working out at home to DVDs or with my Wii for the entire time. I never bothered to go down stairs to see if the neighbors mind (I don't actually know anyone that lives in my building unit) but I can tell that it appears to be a woman or couple and their dogs (who thankfully don't bark). I'm pretty light on my feet when I do jumping portions of the DVD, and I figured if they really had an issue with it that they'll come talk to me about it. I don't really feel compelled since it either at 5:30pm during the week a few nights or around 11am on Sat. or Sun. It's not like it's 2am. Also, I can hear the people above me stomping around sometimes (i swear they're elephants up there on the 3rd floor) and it's just part of living in an apartment building. So as mean as it might be, I don't have much sympathy if I exercise for 30 minutes a few times a week and I have to listen to someone stomping upstairs on a much more regular basis. You get what you pay for... haha
  • KaySaver
    KaySaver Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Well I would have loved it if one of my neighbors came by and said if i'm being to loud would you please let me know and if they explained that they were exercising, I wouldn't mind at all.

But no the neighbors I have like to yell at each other and let their child run through the breezeway screaming! The lady next door used to bring gentlemen home at all hours and she was never shy about having very loud sex. She used to stay up all hours of the night talking on speaker phone right against the wall where both our bedrooms were attached. I am so glad that she moved out.

Now we just have the screaming child that lives below us and I don't understand why they have this child out sometimes past midnight.

But yeah, it's apartment living and it's part of the game.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I recently moved from a 2nd floor to 5th floor apartment. I like to work out before work, which is sometimes 6 or 7am. I try to be quiet, and never had complaints in my old apartment, but my downstairs neighbor complained about me to the office. This was a day when I worked out in the bedroom because of visitors. So I did I lighter program in the living room the next day like I'd been doing and he came up and said I was "disturbing his peace". I think the bedroom workout just made him start listening for it. The office says quiet hours are 8am-10pm

Now I feel like a prisoner who can't do turbofire workouts in the am. I am heading down to the gym today but kind of resent it since I have to deal with barking dogs, screaming babies, loud teens, etc during quiet hours (granted this is usually through an open window). Also this is an upscale condo-style community, the ceilings and wall don't seem thin at all. :grumble: