protein how much is too much?

Options
i had 169 grams of protein today my target was 93 grams sorry if i sound like a noob but is this good for me? im also about to do some working out and strength training in a few (i usually workout late at night)

Replies

• DanceForever904
    DanceForever904 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    ps im 176 pounds and 5'2 female
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Unless you have some sort of medical issue that effects your kidneys I wouldn't think twice about it. Some days are higher than others. Plus in the Bodybuilding community the normal MINIMUM recommendation is to eat 1 gram/lb of bodyweight EVERYDAY. Plenty of people do this with no ill effects.
  • amosmoses88
    amosmoses88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I normally drink a protein shake every day, but recently ran out. Lol. But the more protein the better. Protein curbs hunger and helps build muscle and helps muscle recovery after working out. So the more the merrier in my opinion.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    We just covered the protein chapter in my nutrition class, and this is what the slide on too much protein said the effects were:

Eating too much protein has no benefits and may result in:
    Excessive kcalories
    Excessive fat if you are eating too much high-fat animal foods
    Calcium loss
    High intakes of animal proteins are associated with certain cancers, such as cancer of the colon.

It sounds to me like it would be fine for a day, but unless you are advised by a doctor, it might be best to stick to 35% of your calories, which is the high end of the RDA for protein.

Edit: As a note, if you eat 2000 cals a day, 175g is on the high end (35% of total calories) for protein.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    We just covered the protein chapter in my nutrition class, and this is what the slide on too much protein said the effects were:

Eating too much protein has no benefits and may result in:
    Excessive kcalories
    Excessive fat if you are eating too much high-fat animal foods
    Calcium loss
    High intakes of animal proteins are associated with certain cancers, such as cancer of the colon.

It sounds to me like it would be fine for a day, but unless you are advised by a doctor, it might be best to stick to 35% of your calories, which is the high end of the RDA for protein.

Edit: As a note, if you eat 2000 cals a day, 175g is on the high end (35% of total calories) for protein.

Basically, that list says if you eat too much protein then:

You might go over on calories (not true if you are counting them!)
    You might be getting too much dietary fat (not true if your sources of protein are lean or vegetarian!)
    You might not be getting enough calcium (not true if you are eating your veggies)
    You might get cancer from that evil red meat (not true if you are getting non-animal sources of protein, and not even conclusive for steaks unless you believe the gibberish that is in the China Study)

There have also been studies to debunk the "it will hurt your kidneys" myth.

Protein is good for you and will aid in lean mass retention on a calorie deficit, especially when paired with weight training. It's very satiating (and it tastes good, too). Just be sure to track your calories, like you are, so you don't go over on total cals. and you will be fine.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    That is a little high but not enough to hurt you any. You goal sounds low for your weight. Is it the MFP default? If so, I'd adjust it to 1 gram per lb of lean mass.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    MFP sets protein too low. To set your macros, check out this link: 

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336

Also, it's hard to have too much protein. 

"It has been observed that the human liver cannot safely metabolise much more than 285-365 g of protein per day (for an 80 kg person), and human kidneys are similarly limited in their capability to remove urea (a byproduct of protein catabolism) from the bloodstream. Exceeding that amount results in excess levels of amino acids, ammonia (hyperammonemia), and/or urea in the bloodstream, with potentially fatal consequences,[1] especially if the person switches to a high-protein diet without giving time for the levels of his or her hepatic enzymes to upregulate. Since protein only contains 4 kcal/gram, and a typical adult human requires in excess of 1900 kcal to maintain the energy balance, it is possible to exceed the safe intake of protein if one is subjected to a high-protein diet with little or no fat or carbohydrates. However, given the lack of scientific data on the effects of high-protein diets, and the observed ability of the liver to compensate over a few days for a shift in protein intake, the US Food and Nutrition Board does not set a Tolerable Upper Limit nor upper Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range for protein.[2] Furthermore, medical sources such as UpToDate[3] do not include listings on this topic." 

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation
  • Sioned26
    Sioned26 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    the guide says unless you are pro-athlete, 2g of protein per kg of your weight on a daily basis should suffice for most active people.

remember when you eat your protein is important too - I exercise in the evening so tend to eat most of my carbs in the day for energy and protein in the evening for repair
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound that high. I know my nutritionist said not to worry unless I go over the 200-300 range, which could cause some issues. But a word of advice, if you eat that much protein make sure you are drinking a LOT of water. High protein is known to cause constipation which is not healthy.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    the guide says unless you are pro-athlete, 2g of protein per kg of your weight on a daily basis should suffice for most active people.

remember when you eat your protein is important too - I exercise in the evening so tend to eat most of my carbs in the day for energy and protein in the evening for repair

Your first statement is relatively accurate. You second is not. Timing is immaterial as long protein targets are met in a 24 hour period in most contexts. (an exception being training hard fasted in the morning, protien after workout)