Sugar substitutes

Options
Which sugar substitute do you like to use? Husband is diabetic and would like to start cooking/baking accordingly, but don't know which ones taste/work the best.

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I love splenda
  • rachelerwin
    rachelerwin Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I use nectresse.
  • getup25
    getup25 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I like Truvia (Stevia in Canada).
  • ChristineH1001
    Options
    Second vote for Truvia, it comes in packet, spoonable and I think there is a large bag for baking.
  • skm4jc
    skm4jc Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Splenda is the best manufactured no-calorie, no-carb sweetener, but stevia is all natural, no chemicals, and the carb impact is minimal. Is he Type I or Type II?
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I use the generic Publix brand of Splenda since it costs less but I hear wonderful things about Stevia since it's all natural, which is probably best for your hubby. We bake with Splenda a lot and everything turns out yummy :)
  • mdevore
    mdevore Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    we use the splenda, my wife when baking will use half real sugar and half splenda to cut back. I personally am trying my best to get off of substitute sugar but its hard since I have given up diet sodas but struggleing to lose the splenda for the coffee. Work in progress. Have a wonderful day!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Stevia in the raw.
  • rnctipton
    rnctipton Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    He has Type II diabetes and is very finicky (?spelling)
  • skm4jc
    skm4jc Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    He has Type II diabetes and is very finicky (?spelling)

Okay. Is he under control with just diet, or is he on medication?

Either way, I personally recommend stevia. Splenda is the next best sweetener, but I prefer to go the natural/clean route whenever possible. Good luck to both of you. You can also check out www.diabetes.org for help and ideas.
  • nsagley
    nsagley Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think Nectresse tastes more like sugar than the others.
  • ilonawie
    ilonawie Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Truvia or Splenda....
  • MsAmyRH
    MsAmyRH Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Stevia hands down :)