Lots of calories remaining and not hungry, what do I do?

Options
What do you do in a situation where you still have a bunch of calories left for the day and you aren't hungry? I've been more cautious with my meals (choosing healthier, lower calorie options) and working out regularly so I end up with large deficits. Is it ok to leave it as is, or is it unhealthy? I don't want to stall my weight loss by eating too little or doing the "wrong" thing.

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    If you're consistently not eating enough it will catch up with you. Are you skipping meals? Are you eating enough protein, fiber, carbs etc? Do you feel tired or lethargic at all? I'm experimenting with upping my calories now as i still have a very low net calories. I started out eating like 800 a day, so I'm making progress. I felt fine the whole time, until I woke up one morning, fell out of bed and couldn't walk straight. And some other stuff..

Everyone is different with their calorie needs, but you do need to eat. It is harder to eat more if you are eating healthy. Healthy foods generally speaking have less calories. I struggle to eat enough, but you can teach yourself to choose better so you do eat enough. I also had to reteach my body to feel hungry, as I never felt hungry. that meant eating when I wasn't hungry to wake myself up, just to be able to eat 1200 a day. Nevermind what i net.. I can only focus on one thing at a time. LOL

I literally set an alarm to remind myself to eat lunch everyday initially. Now i eat a larger breakfast (usually) and that seems to help since I was skipping breakfast and half the time lunch too and not even realizing it.

If it's occasional it's fine.. but if it's consistent you need to be proactive.
  • zewolf77
    zewolf77 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Try adding stuff like natural peanut butter, almond butter, and raw nuts/dry fruit to pick up some of the slack. The nuts add healthy fats and protein, the fruits give you vitamins and a few good sugars. As with all things, do this in moderation.

I think a handful of almonds (about 28) is like 125-150 cals. 2 Tbsp of natural PB is like 200 cals.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is carry them over to the next day and make sure you eat a LARGE healthy meal to use them all up then.

Just eating crap to "use them up" is stoooopid.

Your body doesn't run on rigid 24 hour cycles you know.
  • cheron40
    cheron40 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem as you- and because of it I have lost no weight as my body is hangin on to what it can
    I went to see a dietitian a few days ago and she gave me some good tips: I have to start my day with: snack, breakfast,lunch,snack,dinner

the snack has to be from 2 or the 4 food groups- I eat a yogurt with almond slices
    breakfast ,lunch and dinner has to be 3 out of the 4 food groups

that seems to have upped my calories- I am also eating things with more calories in them such as nuts, bananas,, peanut butter etc.... however I am still learning.........
    hope it helps a bit