Help with blisters

Options
I have been working out on a treadmill for over a week now. As I have been on longer and going faster, I got a terrible blister on the back of my ankle. It popped itself and has been bleeding every time I get on the treadmill. I have it wrapped with surgical dressing and s tape but that doesn't help as far as pain goes. I am just wondering if there is a way I can keep it from hurting so I can workout and if there is a way to help it heal faster. I have been disinfecting it and putting on antibacterial cream and letting it air out at night and I don't know what else to do. I really want to keep on the treadmill because when I miss a day or two I tend to get lazy.

Replies

• chardi7
    chardi7 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I used to get blisters everytime I ran...It was my socks. After you are healed up try getting some running socks...like Wright Socks or something similar. They are pricey...but I have not had blisters in the 5 or so years I have been running in them. hope this helps.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Blister plasters. Every time.
  • Alexagetsfit
    Alexagetsfit Posts: 313 Member
    Options
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, but you may have to take a couple of days off. If you keep re-injuring it will take forever to heal and you have a greater possibility of it becoming infected.

Have you tried mole skin?
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies. I really appreciate it!
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, but you may have to take a couple of days off. If you keep re-injuring it will take forever to heal and you have a greater possibility of it becoming infected.

I don't know what that is! I have never gotten a blister before while on the treadmill. I guess maybe because I am on a lot longer now?
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options

I don't know what that is! I have never gotten a blister before while on the treadmill. I guess maybe because I am on a lot longer now?

It is like cloth on one side and adhesive on the other http://www.ehow.com/how_6745832_use-moleskin-blisters.html You can get it at the pharmacy. You may want to change your socks like a previous poster suggested.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I agree good non cotton socks can really help prevent blisters.

You should be able to walk a lot of miles without developing a blister. Yes bodyglide molsekin / taping will help prevent blisters, but you are better off identifying the cause, and toughening your skin. Use that stuff when you feel a hotspot developing, and you are already out.

Blisters on the ankle / heal
    inspect the back of your shoe to see if you can identify anything that would be rubbing you. If it is wornout / mashed down in the back you probably need new shoes.

make sure your sock is not bunched up anywhere when you put it on. if the heal of the sock doesnt fit properly get a different sock. Even a small wrinkle can easily become a blister after many miles.

make sure your shoe fits properly, and is tied tight. If your shoe fits you properly you should get zero heal lift when walking. If your heal is moving around, try an orthodic or a different shoe to get a better fit
  • rubberbiscuit
    Options
    Moleskin, it's what hikers use on the trail. Great stuff for blisters. You can find it at the pharmacy.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    After your blisters heal, you may want to go shopping for better shoes