HRM watch?

Options
I am looking at buying the Mio Drive Special Edition Petite Women's Heart Rate Monitor Watch from Amazon. I do not want to use a chest strap. I have been reading reviews and all of them mention it is difficult to check heart rate while running or exercising. I am only wanting an estimate of calories burned (during zumba class, etc) and not worried about my heart rate.

Does anyone have any feedback on this watch or would have any other suggestions? I do not want to spend an arm and a leg as I am just wanting an estimate. Any feedback would be great!

Thanks!

Replies

• michmich68
    michmich68 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this, too.
  • leholcomb
    leholcomb Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    ....Anyone?
  • arsan
    arsan Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Try not to go cheap because you want to try and get accurate readings. As far as the one you are looking into, I don't see how this one would be accurate considering it doesn't even use a chest strap transmitter at all but if its just to count calories, go for it. I have been using mine for about a week and I love love love my HRM. After doing numerous research and reading reviews, I found one that works for me. I bought a Polar HRM. The model I have does a fit test, has a preset weightloss option program and tells you how and records how you are progressing. You enter your info like sex, age, weight, height and it predetermines where your heart rate should be to target fat to help lose weight if that is what you seek; and to think all this time I thought as long as you run, you lose fat but that is NOT necessarily the case which is why I was searching for a HRM. I have no regrets buying my HRM and I'm sure you won't either.
  • michmich68
    Options
    Arsan,

Which model did you buy?

Thanks for the information!
  • jadams1650
    jadams1650 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    From what I have read, the Mio does not monitor heart rate. It relies on you to take several readings during exercise and then calculates the average heart rate based on those readings. This can cause problems calculating average heart rate and actual calorie burn if your heart rate changes during exercise (think HIIT). I recently purchased the Polar FT-7 and couldn't be happier. I originally bought an HRM without a chest strap but found it difficult to get the watch to register a heart rate consistently...combine that with the calorie burn problem and I changed to the Polar. The chest strap really isn't bad...hardly notice when it is on, and it gives you a much more accurate reading of caloric burn. It also allows the data to be interpreted to give you a overview of cardiac fitness. Plus I seem to be much less likely to come tumbling off the equipment as I struggle to register my heart rate with both hands...jmho.
  • arsan
    Options
    @michmich. I bought the Polar FT60
    http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/products/improve_fitness/fitness_crosstraining/FT60

When that picture loads, check out this neat feature. Click on "smart coaching feature" tab then click "star training program" and watch video.
  • arsan
    Options
    @jadams. I was originally going to buy the one you have but opt for this one. Aren't these little devices awesome and worth it? I love mine. I never knew you had to keep your heart rate within a certain zone to get results you want. All this time I was training wrong trying to push my heart to the limit before I got my HRM.
  • dotknott
    dotknott Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I might be wrong on this, but in order to get a reasonably reliable estimate of calories burned you'll need something with a heart rate monitor.

A wrist watch with a chest strap takes into account your height and weight (at least my polar FT7 does) and will estimate your calories burned based on this + heart rate.

Like I said I could be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure that's the best way to get an estimate from a consumer product.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Why not one with chest strap it is most accurate and they are comfortable.
  • leholcomb
    Options
    I am looking at the Polar FT4 Heart Rate Monitor Watch now.
  • arsan
    Options
    @Leholcomb. For around the same price, You might want to look at the Polar FT-7 which has a little bit more options.
  • dotknott
    dotknott Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I read that with the FT4 you need to be careful when changing the battery in the transmitter. Apparently it's easy to compromise the waterproof seal on it. The FT7 is supposed to be a different design on the transmitter and that is apparently not a problem on them.

That's the only reason I went with the FT7 over the FT4, but I plan on swimming with it, so it may have weighed more in my decision that it does in yours.
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar ft4. I never knew about compromising the seal on the transmitter. Hmmm good to know though. I've had mine for almost two years and the strap on the watch completely broke off. Partly my fault I guess cause I wear it as an everyday watch as well as when I exercise with the chest strap. I've fixed it myself with pony tail holders and cable ties. Maybe one day I'll get a newer model Polar lol. But all in all I LOVE it. The only thing lately I'm finding is that I'll put the chest strap on and hit the button to get my heart rate and it says 223 which is outrageous cause I haven't even started working out yet. So I'll take it off and put it on again and then it goes back to normal readings. Anyone else have that issue. Maybe the transmitter needs a new battery.

That Polar ft60 sounds freaking amazing.
  • geerunz
    geerunz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Just curious, do those of you with HRM wear them all day long or just when working out?
  • michmich68
    Options
    @michmich. I bought the Polar FT60
    http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/products/improve_fitness/fitness_crosstraining/FT60

When that picture loads, check out this neat feature. Click on "smart coaching feature" tab then click "star training program" and watch video.

Thanks, Arsan, for the information! I'll check it out. :smile:
  • arsan
    Options
    Just curious, do those of you with HRM wear them all day long or just when working out?
    Only when I workout
  • b7bbs
    b7bbs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Try not to go cheap because you want to try and get accurate readings. As far as the one you are looking into, I don't see how this one would be accurate considering it doesn't even use a chest strap transmitter at all but if its just to count calories, go for it. I have been using mine for about a week and I love love love my HRM. After doing numerous research and reading reviews, I found one that works for me. I bought a Polar HRM. The model I have does a fit test, has a preset weight loss option program and tells you how and records how you are progressing. You enter your info like sex, age, weight, height and it predetermines where your heart rate should be to target fat to help lose weight if that is what you seek; and to think all this time I thought as long as you run, you lose fat but that is NOT necessarily the case which is why I was searching for a HRM. I have no regrets buying my HRM and I'm sure you won't either.

I also purchased a Polar HRM. I have the Polar FT7, and I absolutely LOVE it! The chest strap is really comfortable. I actually don't feel it at all. The best feature for me is knowing how many calories I burn during workouts. It is great because now I can better determine how many calories to take in based on the amount I am burning. The Polar HRM is very accurate, and I recommend anyone to get one. It is well worth it. Before I got my Polar HRM, I was using an online calculator to get an average of how many calories I was burning during a Zumba workout at home. The online calculator was gave me 600 calories burned for a high intense 45 minute workout based on my weight. when I used my HRM I only burned close to 400. It's the only way to get the most accurate calories burned.
  • leholcomb
    Options
    What are the additional features of the FT7? I don't want anything too complicated. Accurate calorie count is fine for me... Thanks for everyone's input! :)