advice for strength training routine

Options
Hello, I hope someone can give me advice on my strength training routine.

Here is what I am doing now:
1) Walk/Bike 30 minutes a day, moderate pace (Not for cardio, just as a warm up before lifting... and I need it to get moving after sitting at a desk all day!)

2) Strength train for 30 minutes solid (no rest between sets) 3X a week. Lift as heavy as I can - until muscles are exhausted (hope that makes sense). Mixture of free weights and machines.

3) Hot Vinyasa Yoga - 4X per week (90 minutes). While I practice yoga mainly for mental benefits and flexibility, we do a tremendous amounts of strength work (holding squats, arm and leg balances, push ups, etc).

My goal: loose 25 lbs and get muscle definition. I am seeing slow and steady results but I would like to see if someone might chime with feedback - I am always looking to improve.
Specifically, I found that if I try to strength train my legs and arms the same day, neither really got a good workout. So I do 30 minutes of arm/back/chest on Monday and Friday and Legs/abs on Wed. What does everyone else do?

thanks! :)

Replies

• DostThouEven
    Options
    A good prewritten beginner routine would probably be best for you at this point.
  • erg2013
    erg2013 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response. Any recommended links or plans? There is so much mis-information out there and I don't want to just land on something after a google search. I am hoping that someone with experience can provide guidance.
  • Cognito1025
    Cognito1025 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Check out Stronglifts, google it and don't be intimidated. There is even an iPhone/droid app to help track workouts. Make sure your diet is in line too, that's more important that any exercise.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response. Any recommended links or plans? There is so much mis-information out there and I don't want to just land on something after a google search. I am hoping that someone with experience can provide guidance.

I started weight training under the guidance of a personal trainer, which is helpful for both instruction and monitoring form. But if that's not an option, then I would look at this link for a good beginning strength training program.

In my opinion, bodybuilding.com and T Nation are probably the best websites that deal with strength training. In particular, the articles about beginner workout programs were pretty helpful to me as I was learning my way around a gym. And some of the articles have comments that are pretty thoughtful as well. Here's a link for you to scroll through several articles.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=BeginnerWorkoutPrograms
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dawg_school_basic_training_for_beginners

I hope this of some help! Good luck to you!
  • lynnmariestan1
    lynnmariestan1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am a beginner, I focus mainly on cardio, and am looking for a beginner weight training program. I am also hoping for some good direction. Thank you for this post!
  • erg2013
    Options
    Thanks Sean and Chris, I will check those out!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the previous comments.

A good "pre-packaged" routine will likely be more effective, but there's no reason you can't see success doing your own thing. Lots of people were fit and healthy and strong before stronglifts came along.

Sounds like you've got a nice mix... some warm-up cardio, some lifting and some flexibility work. But don't under estimate the value of rest time. If you are really lifting heavy, your muscles will need a minute or 2 to recover in order to do the same set/reps again. Unless you're doing something like pyramiding or supersetting or something like that. But the point remains, don't automatically shoot down rest times.
  • vinniesooner
    vinniesooner Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5X5 has been amazing for my son, who is new to weightlifting. He struggled with the 45 lb bar and couldn't do a push-up when we started, and is now sqautting 115 and benching 65, just a few weeks in.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    No rest between sets?
  • NancyYMCA
    NancyYMCA Posts: 18
    Options
    Do you belong to a gym? There are lots of group ex classes out there that help a lot. A trained instructor is a great resource.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    A good "pre-packaged" routine will likely be more effective, but there's no reason you can't see success doing your own thing. Lots of people were fit and healthy and strong before stronglifts came along.
    This is probably true if you stick with machines. But in my experience at the gym, I see quite a few people who are doing "their own thing" with free weights and I have to fight the urge to intervene. Whether it's training the same muscle group for several days in a row, or using improper technique that is at best, a waste of time, and at worst, potentially injurious.

Another couple of suggestions: don't be afraid to ask someone who is experienced for him or her to spot you, check your form, or show you an exercise. I don't mind it when people do this to me, and I've done this to others. Obviously, you want to do it at a time when he or she is not otherwise engaged.

And lastly, there are some great videos on bodybuilding.com on hundreds of exercises. Bookmark this website, as it may be useful to you as you progress: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/
  • erg2013
    Options
    No rest between sets?

Sorry, to be clear - I rest less than a minute between sets. What I was trying to say in my original post is that I don't "putter around" and waste time - I try to be as efficient as possible.
    Perhaps more of a rest than that?
  • erg2013
    Options
    Do you belong to a gym? There are lots of group ex classes out there that help a lot. A trained instructor is a great resource.

Yes - thanks for that suggestion. I really don't like group classes - I really want the flexibility to customize my routine for what I need. I also dont need a class for motivation if that makes sense.

I am just looking for advice on a general weekly schedule (what muscles to work and how often). Hope that makes sense.
    Thanks for taking the time to post!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Check out Fitness Blender on Youtube, they have tons of strength training workouts. I started doing a functional strength training routine for weight loss, its about 30 minutes and I burned over 400 calories
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    No rest between sets?

Sorry, to be clear - I rest less than a minute between sets. What I was trying to say in my original post is that I don't "putter around" and waste time - I try to be as efficient as possible.

You MUST rest between sets. I rest 60 seconds for warm up/light lifts, and 120-180 seconds for heavy/work lifts. And sometimes, when I'm dead lifting or squatting for a personal record, I give it 4 minutes. It isn't puttering around or wasting time. There are physiological reasons for resting between sets.

You should read New Rules of Lifting For Women. It's a good beginner program, and even if you don't follow that specific program, he outlines why rest is so important.
  • erg2013
    Options
    This is probably true if you stick with machines. But in my experience at the gym, I see quite a few people who are doing "their own thing" with free weights and I have to fight the urge to intervene. Whether it's training the same muscle group for several days in a row, or using improper technique that is at best, a waste of time, and at worst, potentially injurious.

Another couple of suggestions: don't be afraid to ask someone who is experienced for him or her to spot you, check your form, or show you an exercise. I don't mind it when people do this to me, and I've done this to others. Obviously, you want to do it at a time when he or she is not otherwise engaged.

And lastly, there are some great videos on bodybuilding.com on hundreds of exercises. Bookmark this website, as it may be useful to you as you progress: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

Thanks for the links to the videos.
    I feel good about my form - The owner of the gym spent two sessions with me to go over form for machines and free weights. I can't afford a personal trainer, Just trying to build a schedule. I plan to ask him, but wanted advice here from others.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    No rest between sets?

Being the most efficient generally means getting the most out of each lift, not necessarily the most lifts in given time frame. Rest longer so you can lift heavier and see how you do.
  • erg2013
    Options
    No rest between sets?

You MUST rest between sets. I rest 60 seconds for warm up/light lifts, and 120-180 seconds for heavy/work lifts. And sometimes, when I'm dead lifting or squatting for a personal record, I give it 4 minutes. It isn't puttering around or wasting time. There are physiological reasons for resting between sets.

You should read New Rules of Lifting For Women. It's a good beginner program, and even if you don't follow that specific program, he outlines why rest is so important.

Thanks, I did not know this!
  • erg2013
    Options
    No rest between sets?

Being the most efficient generally means getting the most out of each lift, not necessarily the most lifts in given time frame. Rest longer so you can lift heavier and see how you do.

Excellent point! Can you tell I am a "type A" personality!?!
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/03/05/101-equipment/ Strength Training 101 for the Cool kids :heart: