Cardio then lift or lift then Cardio?

Options

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Ultimately either can work, but a few things to think about...

1) Safety. The risk of injury is greater when lifting, especially under heavier/more intense loads, and even more especially with heavy free weights. Consider lifting first when you are freshest/strongest to reduce risk of injury

2) Effort. Results are more about effort than they are about method. Yes, some methods can be more effective than others, but even the best routine won't give results if you half-*kitten* it. Whatever you are more likely to bust your *kitten* during, do that.

3) Goals. If you have specific strength or cardio/endurance goals, you should train with those goals in mind. If you are training for strength, then do strength work first when your energy levels and intensity will likely be highest. If your are training for cardio, then do cardio first.
  • loveYOUmore319
    loveYOUmore319 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I do a 5 minute cardio warm-up and then lift. I like having my energy for the lifting instead of spending it first on cardio.

^Agreed!
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Lift first for me then some cardio. I feel like I have more energy that way and can lift a little harder that way but maybe it's just me.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Whats your intended goal. If you are looking to build muscle, then cardio second, and even then very limited low impact cardio just to keep your heart healthy. If you are looking to endurance train, then less weights more cardio, but dont expect any huge development on the muscle front (at least not size maybe toning). Just my opinion.
  • fruitandgreens
    fruitandgreens Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Trainers have always advised to warm up with cardio (5 to 10 minutes) but that lifting should be done first as it takes more energy to lift.
  • mikegl1
    mikegl1 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    The latest thinking is to lift then cardio BUT I can't do it.... If I lift first I just want to go home right after. If I do cardio I look forword to lifting so I go and do it.
    But, meh, as soon as I get to go back to the gym I'll still do it that same way.... my choice.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Ultimately either can work, but a few things to think about...

1) Safety. The risk of injury is greater when lifting, especially under heavier/more intense loads, and even more especially with heavy free weights. Consider lifting first when you are freshest/strongest to reduce risk of injury

2) Effort. Results are more about effort than they are about method. Yes, some methods can be more effective than others, but even the best routine won't give results if you half-*kitten* it. Whatever you are more likely to bust your *kitten* during, do that.

3) Goals. If you have specific strength or cardio/endurance goals, you should train with those goals in mind. If you are training for strength, then do strength work first when your energy levels and intensity will likely be highest. If your are training for cardio, then do cardio first.
    THIS.

Also keep in mind that regardless of activity, glycogen will be the first energy source burned and the less energy you one has, the less effective the workout tends to be.
    Personally since I'm a body builder, I like to dedicate that energy to lifting.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Usually they say::

Warm up for a few minutes.
    Lift before Cardio so you aren't tired and are at full strength. Less risk of injury, and more likely to be able to push yourself further.
    Then Cardio after you lift.

That way especially if you are doing squats or deads your legs won't be tired from the Cardio.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Since my cardio is HIIT, i lift first so i know im 100% and my form is correct.
  • dciuperca
    Options
    Always weight lifting before cardio. Warmup for 3-10 min then lift then do a moderate amount of cardio. The reasons are:

Your glycogen energy stores get used up first when you exercise before the fat burning process kicks in (these are your short term energy reserves). You want to use these energy stores for the intense requirements of lifting. If you have already used up your stores by doing cardio first you will have a worse lifting session and are more likely to injure yourself when lifting heavy.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Unless we're talking about doing curls with pink rubberized dumbbells that weigh 3 lbs, always always always do lifting first, and to get even more nuanced, do the biggest lifts first. Finish with cardio. Warm-ups do not count as cardio, and you're better off doing a dynamic warm-up that emphasizes flexibility and range of motion than hopping on a treadmill for 5 minutes.

If you are doing cardio properly, you will be too tired afterward to lift with proper form. Cardio should be a finisher to a strength training session or should be a workout unto itself. It should not precede heavy lifting, ever.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    i was wondering the same thing...

for me i want to get toned... i used to do insanity for 45 minutes and then lifted afterwards... not sure if thats the way to get toned...

but i hear that lifting more helps you shed the pounds...

im confused
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Unless we're talking about doing curls with pink rubberized dumbbells that weigh 3 lbs, always always always do lifting first, and to get even more nuanced, do the biggest lifts first. Finish with cardio. Warm-ups do not count as cardio, and you're better off doing a dynamic warm-up that emphasizes flexibility and range of motion than hopping on a treadmill for 5 minutes.

If you are doing cardio properly, you will be too tired afterward to lift with proper form. Cardio should be a finisher to a strength training session or should be a workout unto itself. It should not precede heavy lifting, ever.

Hoping to only clarify, not derail...

Is that always the case, or are you assuming full body lifting? For example, could someone run 5 miles then put in a solid upper body workout?
  • zoonnie
    zoonnie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was just talking to my trainer about this. He says lift first, then cardio. It has to do with using glycogen up first while lifting, leaving glucose and fat to be used during cardio. I know I'm not summarizing this to the best of what he told me, but I trust his recommendations.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals and what you're focusing on. Personally, I'm working on strength and definition so I lift heavy first...then do cardio. Otherwise, I'd be too tired to lift asmuch as I'd like to.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I take two classes back to back and the cardio is scheduled first followed by the strength.
    I'm sure I would have more energy for weights if I lifted first, but then have less for cardio afterwards.

I like that we stretch at the end of the cardio class and I feel warmed up for weights but I definitely feel the muscle fatigue.
    So I guess it's up to you and your personal goals.
  • Charles4Jesus
    Charles4Jesus Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This will sound redundant.....

1.Warm-up
    2.Lift/Strength training
    3.Cardio/Conditioning

Back in HS we always did conditioning at the end of practice. Similar???
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

Hoping to only clarify, not derail...

Is that always the case, or are you assuming full body lifting? For example, could someone run 5 miles then put in a solid upper body workout?

Good question:smile:
  • MrsOMG
    MrsOMG Posts: 84
    Options
    I warm up for about 10 minutes, then lift, then do about 20-30 more minutes of cardio.

This one! I think of it as 20 / 20 / 20 - 10 mins warm up then 20 mins toning / weights, 20 mins cardio, 20 mins of mat work (crunches, planks, press ups) then 10 min stretch and cool down. Feel great afterwards espesh with a playlist on my mp3 player suited to each part.

Good luck!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Cardio, lift a little, a little more cardio, lift some more, a bit of cardio, more lifting, finish off with cardio.