Belly Fat

Options
I started exercising back in November (2012) when I hit 230 lbs and started dieting in January (2013). Since I combined the diet and exercise I have dropped 20 lbs, however, the belly fat refuses to go away. How can I reduce my belly fat? I have a job that requires me to sit infront of a computer for 8 hrs a day, so I walk on a treadmill (at my office) for 30-40 minutes a day 3-4 days a week, I also work out with my wife at the house, and coach Baseball and T-ball, all that exercise and eating right and I still can not seem to lose the belly? Any tips?

Thank you.

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce problem areas. Unfortunately, you just need patience. As you lose weight, you will lose it all over, including your belly. Most of us have problem areas that lose weight slower than other body parts. For me, I lost 30 pounds total and my thighs were the last to slim down. In fact, my thighs had ZERO change in measurement (in inches) until I lost the last 10-15 pounds.

Be patient, keep at it, it will happen!
  • Jerry863
    Jerry863 Posts: 22
    Options
    Are there any exercise that I can perform at my desk, without causing a scene, or drawing too much attention to myself, that will help with the belly fat?
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Are there any exercise that I can perform at my desk, without causing a scene, or drawing too much attention to myself, that will help with the belly fat?

No, you cannot target belly fat.

Up your calories, start lifting heavy and try to build some muscle. More muscle will mean lower body fat.

You just need to focus on losing more body fat.
  • Razzy43
    Razzy43 Posts: 32
    Options
    When it comes to guys, the tendency is for the belly area to be the last spot for fat loss or loss compared to other areas of the body. That seems to be where the main storage area is, because remember the body does need fat for defense, warmth, energy storage, etc. Like others have said, fat loss is an overall body thing and you can't target one area, so doing crunches, situps, any other abdominal exercise is not targeting fat loss, but improving the muscles in the abdomen, bottom line. We all have six pack abs, it is a question of how much fat do we have covering them. Focus on overall body exercise and over time, you will see the abdomen area slowly decreasing, it just take time. If you are losing weight, then you are on the right track for losing belly fat, don't give up!!!!!

Throw in some weight training, as the more lean muscle you have the more calories you will burn, plus weight training give you a good afterburn effect, burning more calories after your training it done.
  • stephen77009
    stephen77009 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I could have been the author of your post. I, too, began back in November of 2012 and really stepped things up in January. I've lost just over 20lbs since then (my starting weight was 226). Belly fat has been one of my main concerns, too. I do cardio 4-5 times a week, weight training twice a week with a trainer, and supplement my weight training on my own at least once a week. This evening I start pilates; I've experienced good results in the past when combining weight training, cardio and the core work offered by pilates. While I agree with the other posts that you cannot "spot" lose weight, I'm hoping through pilates I'll begin to strengthen my core and elongate my torso muscles.
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you can't target specific fat areas

If you can wade through the chaff yu will find some sensible ideas in here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/915037-how-to-target-back-fat
  • sarahmatters
    Options
    It's true that unfortunately you can't spot reduce belly fat. But one thing you can do to help reveal your stomach muscles quicker is to change the kind of diet you eat. Bodybuilders who want to reduce their body fat and particularly belly fat to reveal six pack abs eat very 'clean' diets to do this. Plus it has the added benefit of being a diet that supports fat loss and weightloss overall.

I followed my own 'eat clean' regime from Christmas until a week or so ago when I fell off the wagon a little. I can vouch for the fact that when I was eating clean it all came off my belly. I didn't ever feel bloated plus I had more energy. Then when I started cheating a little recently my caloiries didn't go too much higher but I started eating processed carbs and refined sugars again and pow 3lbs gained practically all back on my belly. Safe to say I feel horrid and am starting my eating clean again today.

So the best thing you can do is combine a good high intensity cardio and weights based exercise regime with a good quality diet. If it doesn't have a mother or grow out the ground don't eat it! Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. Try it for 2 weeks and I guarantee you'll see a difference in your stomach and want to carry on.

Like they always say and it is SO TRUE. "Abs are made in the kitchen and refined in the gym"

There are all kinds of resources on the internet to help you work out what to eat if you aren't sure. Just google 'eat clean'

Hope that's helpful.
  • DanaMcCrea
    DanaMcCrea Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I feel for you - I too cannot wait for my belly fat to go away! And my hips/thighs fat!!! I was SO hoping you guys had a magic cure, lol

I guess we will just have to be patient and wait it out!
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen. Eat a healthy clean diet, find the right balance of carbs/fats/protein for your body (everyone is different and trial and error is probably the best way to figure ut what is best for you), reduce sugar and sodium and voila!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    20lbs is a fantastic weight loss and you should be really proud of yourself. But... the belly didn't go on overnight and it's going to take time and patience to send it on its way.

The only way to reduce your belly is to keep losing that fat. Keep doing what you're doing, as it's obviously working well, and have patience and faith that in time your belly will reduce. Also consider increasing your exercise intensity - could you start doing running intervals instead of just walking? (run one minute, walk minute). Also look at adding in some strength training as other posters have said - it will help your body burn more fat and will tighten up those muscles under the belly.

This is a good at-home routine for beginners: produmbbellworkouts.com/dumbbell.../full-body-high-volume/
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options

Pack a healthy lunch with lots of fresh veggies and un-processed foods :)
  • melissanorth35
    melissanorth35 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    There have been a ton of studies recently highlighting the horrific effect a desk job has on your cardiovascular health and metabolism DESPITE a clean diet and exercise, or even weight. Humans are not meant to be sitting all day and driving in cars all morning and night.

I think for those of us with desk job, this is by far our biggest enemy. This is why some people despite eating 1200cal a day still have a hard time losing weight. Here is what I strive to do to combat my desk job:

My building is 6 stories high. I run up the stairs 2xs in the morning, and then 2xs in the afternoon. I also work out at lunch, though only 2xs a week because I'm a woman and it takes forever to get ready again. Set a timer at work and try to time is so that in the morning and afternoon, you are spending no more than1.5hrs as a stretch at your desk. If you do not have stairs, then you need to find something else that is BRISK that you can do such as a fast walk for 5 minuets around the building.

Another huge thing, is see if you can get a stand up desk. My colleague has one because of lower back problems (AGAIN caused by sitting at a desk and in a car). Simply standing all day, rather than sitting, will tack years onto your life. This has been proven.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options

At the desk what you can do it hold your belly in or as they say Engage your Core. Keep doing it till it becomes second nature.

Even though spot reduction is not possible, you can spot target. Do exercises like planks, side planks, kickboxing etc. google for more info. I also like Bob Harper's Totally Ripped Core.
  • manique45
    manique45 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am at a desk all day too, I am going to take your advice on not sitting longer than an hour and half, We have a stair case but we can only go down the doors lock going up... any ways maybe I'll just spend some time in there at least 2x a day :o) Thanks for the idea!
  • lshaynes1970
    Options
    I too sit at a desk 8 hours a day. I started doing a video (Leslie Sansone) 2 weeks ago for 45 minutes on my lunch that targets the belly, thighs and butt. As of today I have lost 3 1/2 inches in my belly. Nothing in my thighs yet but it will come.
  • melissanorth35
    melissanorth35 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am at a desk all day too, I am going to take your advice on not sitting longer than an hour and half, We have a stair case but we can only go down the doors lock going up... any ways maybe I'll just spend some time in there at least 2x a day :o) Thanks for the idea!

Maybe you can put something inside the door (like tape the part that locks) while you are going up and down. Or you could just walk them twice and go out the bottom and elevator back to your floor.

Seriously, give it some time and if you do this, your body will be very happy.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    My experience is that you will lose fat in the reverse order to how you put it on. In Accounting we call this LIFO (Last In - First Out).

For me, it was around my face & neck where my weight loss first showed. From there is was my butt & legs. And finally my gut started receding.

From what I have read on the subject. This is normal. The body will consume fat in order of what is the easiest to get first. So, it starts where it last stored the fat and works backwards.

As for exercise, all types help. But, again, from my experience, I suggest that you include some amount of weight /resistance exercises to your regime. I hit the cardio hard to accelerate my weight loss. It worked but it left me with flabby arms chest and belly. An issue that weight training has helped me with immensely! But I am over a year into weight training and there is still work to be done! I have found that the building of lean muscle mass and the muscle tone I desire are harder to obtain than the weight was to loss.

All the best on your journey!