Which came first?

Options
kakes80
kakes80 Posts: 251 Member
For me a high Cardio works for me first before strength training. Is it the correct to do it that way? I have a lot of weight to shred off so I was wondering if its the proper way? If I do strength training first it feels like I barely have the energy to do the High Cardio workout after it.

So which comes first, Strength before Cardio, or Cardio before Strength?

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Strength training always.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    From what Ive read Strength in the AM cardio in the PM or Strenght first. Dont ask me why ive read the information but I cant recite it nor remember the mechanics behind it. Im sure some one will explain it in great detail if you want to know.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
  • kakes80
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I just saw the other post in this same forum. I appreciate it :)
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    The best workout is the one you like, because you will continue doing it. Everyone has their own opinion of what works best and how you will get the best results. Personally, I say it is up to you and your preferences. I do cardio first followed by strength.
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    Thanks for posting this Shawna!! I'll be watching for other responses as well!! :-)
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I dance so i dont have that problem.

I feel the music
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    There is no right way to do it. Do whatever you feel works best for you.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I dance so i dont have that problem.

I feel the music

You're so pretty.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

^^THIS

Also, it sounds like from your OP you are in a hurry. Like you want all the weight you have gained over X amount of time, to be shed in Y amount of time.

PATIENCE
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Strength train first then do cardio after
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Like anything there are two schools of thought on this. And it very much depends on what your goals are. If you are looking to increase strength or build muscle, doing high intensity cardio before you work out will not work.
    I do not have this problem. I sweat way too much during cardio to be able to lift weights after. I don't feel like being drenched while lifting so lifting always comes first.
    That said, I don't usually do high intensity or hard cardio and heavy lifting on the same day, I'll alternate days. You don't need to kill yourself with cardio everyday nor do you have to lift hard every day.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For me a high Cardio works for me first before strength training. Is it the correct to do it that way? I have a lot of weight to shred off so I was wondering if its the proper way? If I do strength training first it feels like I barely have the energy to do the High Cardio workout after it.

So which comes first, Strength before Cardio, or Cardio before Strength?

If cardio first works for you, then it seems you already have your answer.

Personally, when I do both back to back, I like cardio first too because I can recover from it faster. A short 5 min break and I can still give my strength training the power it needs. But if I've really given strength training what I feel I should, I'm going to be too weak for cardio.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I do my main cardio and strength training on alternating days and always warm up with a few minutes of cardio before strength training. I stretch after both. Wrong?
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options

^^THIS

Also, it sounds like from your OP you are in a hurry. Like you want all the weight you have gained over X amount of time, to be shed in Y amount of time.

PATIENCE

I dont believe that is what she is saying in her OP. I think she is just saying she wants the most effective way, not the quickest. Sometimes how some people do things are more effective and better for the body then doing it another way. If Strength Training first builds better muscle or causes more effective cardio then that is what we want to do. We all dont have the hours to spend in the gym or doing our workouts so we want our time to be effective. That is all. :-)
  • kakes80
    Options
    Yes I wasn't asking to see what the quickest way was, I was asking because I was asked this question and then I wondered myself. I did read today that it is best to do Strength first to prevent injury. But I was just kind of wondering what others were thinking. People assume too much out of simple questions. ugh.... Thank you for your responses. :) I really do appreciate them.
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    The best workout is the one you like, because you will continue doing it. Everyone has their own opinion of what works best and how you will get the best results. Personally, I say it is up to you and your preferences. I do cardio first followed by strength.

^ I agree. I don't have the energy for much cardio other than the bike after strength training. Do what works best for you, that you know you'll be able to stick with. In the end, you'll follow the program longer.
  • kakes80
    Options
    And let me clarify. When I said I have a lot of weight to shred it initially had nothing to do with the question. I was saying it because I do a lot of Cardio to shred the weight. I have a workout where I Strength training in one and Cardio in the other. I always feel better doing the cardio first because its harder for me. I was doing one before the other (strength before cardio) but I was be so worn out half way through cardio when I did it that way. I was just wondering thats all.
  • kakes80
    Options

^ I agree. I don't have the energy for much cardio other than the bike after strength training. Do what works best for you, that you know you'll be able to stick with. In the end, you'll follow the program longer.

Thank you both for this :)