Cardio then lift or lift then Cardio?

Options

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I think studies will show that in terms of burning calories, you should lift first, then do cardio. That way you will be in full fat-burning mode by the time you do cardio.

My personal take is that if I'm planning to do both, I try to figure out which one I'm more motivated to do at that moment and do the other thing first.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Warm-up with light cardio, lift, then HIIT.
    Hoping to only clarify, not derail...

Is that always the case, or are you assuming full body lifting? For example, could someone run 5 miles then put in a solid upper body workout?
    Different muscle groups but same CNS, a lot of weight training is neurological in nature, a fatigued CNS isn't optimal for weight lifting.

Ever wonder why people (outside of powerlifters, but even then their competition lifts are lower than their gym lifts on most occasions) don't try 1RM on all their big lifts on the same day?
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I been doing cardio for a 5-10 min warm up, lift and then end with cardio
  • JohnnyBravo64
    Options
    I do 5 min cardio on elliptical to loosen up, then stretch, then weights, and finish up with cardio and stretch. Seems to work for not pulling any muscles. But always do a little cardio before stretching, or you can injure yourself.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Since when did 5-10 min of a warm-up equal cardio. I must've missed that memo.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I personally never do Weights/Cardio together. If you're truly working out hard, the one you choose to do last will suffer due to fatigue. I either do them on separate days or do them both in one day with one in the AM & the other in the PM.

And yes, a warmup prior to lifting isn't "cardio".
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Reserve your energy for whatever your goals are focused on.

If your goals are to become a better runner/cyclist, run and cycle first.

If your goals are to get stronger, lift first.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    The latest thinking is to lift then cardio BUT I can't do it.... If I lift first I just want to go home right after. If I do cardio I look forword to lifting so I go and do it.
    But, meh, as soon as I get to go back to the gym I'll still do it that same way.... my choice.

Same here. I know that I'm going to skip out on the cardio if I do my lifting first which is why I do my cardio first. And like you I look forward to pumping the iron when I'm done.

And for those who argue that you don't "need" cadio if I don't do at least 30 minutes a day I gain weight regardless of what I eat or how much I lift. It's just a fact of life for me.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I always do cardio before I left. That's just me. I like keeping my heart rate above 120 when I left as well. Trying to get rid of this fat. Everyone is different. Beware of broscience.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Since when did 5-10 min of a warm-up equal cardio. I must've missed that memo.

LOL!

I find a good warmup is to do abs before training. By the time I am done with abs I am sweating and my HR has gone from 65 to around 110 after maxing out at around 125.

But that doesnt mean do abs, then go right into your first set of squats. Should still make sure the groups of muscles you are going to be working hard are properly warmed up too. This is also age dependent mind you. I warm up way more now at 38 than I ever did at 18.
  • missblackamerica
    Options
    I've heard it's good to warm up for 5-10 minutes. Then lift. Then cardio last. This is because you don't want to be exhausted while lifting. You want to max out. You cannot do so if you're even slightly fatigued from cardio. Lifting expands the muscle tissue so that you can maximize your cardio intake.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    While there really isn't a *right* way to do it, I have found that I'm much less sore if I go for a 30 min run after lifting.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    My warm up is just the walk to the gym, then I just do a lighter version of what my weight session is to warm up the right lifting muscles.

So if I'm doing squats, I'll warm up with bodyweight squats/very light weight squats before the proper squats.

and similar for all the other lifts.
  • abouttobebootylicious
    Options
    I heard (at my gym, from one of the personal trainers, for what it's worth) that if you have an hour to dedicate to working out, you should do 20 minutes of cardio, followed by 20 minutes of lifting, followed by 20 minutes of cardio. The idea is that the first 20 minutes of cardio are to be done at lower heart rates (fat burning mode) to use up the glycogen stores so that when you are lifting you are likely in fat burning mode (glycogen stores are likely empty by this time). The last 20 minutes of cardio are to burn calories (if done at higher heart rates) and support your metabolism for the rest of the day or evening.

Seems plausible, but I can't confirm.
  • blove_925
    blove_925 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks- this was a big help.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Unless we're talking about doing curls with pink rubberized dumbbells that weigh 3 lbs, always always always do lifting first, and to get even more nuanced, do the biggest lifts first. Finish with cardio. Warm-ups do not count as cardio, and you're better off doing a dynamic warm-up that emphasizes flexibility and range of motion than hopping on a treadmill for 5 minutes.

If you are doing cardio properly, you will be too tired afterward to lift with proper form. Cardio should be a finisher to a strength training session or should be a workout unto itself. It should not precede heavy lifting, ever.

I don't lift with your pink 3lb dumbbells and I am able to do 30 minutes of hard cardio before I lift (heavy) and I'm not too exhausted and I lift (heavy)with proper form. However I don't do a full body workout. I work one muscle group a day (alternating abs and legs) which could probably be why I am able to do my workouts the way I have been for years and have no problems. I am still able to lift heavy and during my cardio session -- depending on what I am doing -- my HR can get up to 170+ BPM. I'm dripping with sweat and panting so to say that if you can actually do a hard cardio session and then are able to lift heavy weights means "your doing it wrong" is a blanket statement. I've said it a billion times: I have to do cardio every day or else I will gain weight. How do I know this? Because I was one of those 'Phaw! Cardio! I don't need it!" and with MY body and how I am I do need it. I also know that if I don't do cardio before I do my lifting I'm not going to do cardio (which circles back to the fact that I need to do cardio or else I will gain weight. It doesn't matter how much or how little I eat I will gain weight). When I'm done lifting all I want to do is go home.

I get results doing it the way I have been. Cardio leans me out lifting gives me muscles.

I think this argument is one that will go on and on and on forever and there will always be disagreements as to what is "best" but it really comes down to the individual and what works best for them.

And just to be clear, I am not being snarky, nasty or rude. I'm not trying to provoke an argument, derail or whatever either.
  • blove_925
    blove_925 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks- this was a big help.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    This gets asked every week. Search the boards and you will find plenty of info. It doesn't really matter though.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    If you get tired from lifting then cardio
    funny_treadmill_fall.gif

if you get tired from cardio then lifting

Barbell_drop.gif

One is comically hilarious, the other is going to probably kill you.