Natural Sugar & Weight loss

Options
I noticed that I ususally double the amount of daily recommended sugar. This is because for breakfast I juice. I usually joice a large handful of baby spinach, a banana, an orange, an handful of pineapple chunks and a some blueberries. This juice only is 59g of sugar. My daily recommendations is 30 (before adding in any exercise). I usually come in at or below my daily calorie allowance. I have been stuck in the same weight range for the last 2 years. Prior to this I did WW and have lost and gained the same 10lbs since they went the Points Plus system. I am beginning to wonder if the natural sugars is playing a bigger part than I thought. I know I did not gain all this weight from eating too many fruits, but I still wonder why I am strugglign to lose. Thoughts?

Replies

• AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I go over on my sugar every day but it is always because of fruit and I honestly don't stress it. It has worked for me. Are you measuring your food? Using a HRM to track cals?
  • rachf2013
    rachf2013 Posts: 69
    Options
    I do the same kind of thing. My theory is that we never hear of people gaining weight from too much food so maybe fruit sugar doesn't count in the same way. Though I could be wrong...
  • francesldenton
    francesldenton Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I go over my sugar limit everyday as well. And I belive it is fruit. I'm not gaining weight but I'm losing weight either. Keep telling myself to eat more veggies and less fruit-but do I do that?? I think it is because the "veggie" takes a little more time to prepare and bag for lunch than grabbing the fruit from the fruit drawer. But I will keep trying-never give up!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    59g is more than a soda
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I do the same kind of thing. My theory is that we never hear of people gaining weight from too much food so maybe fruit sugar doesn't count in the same way. Though I could be wrong...

You can gain from eating too much fruits or veggies. It's all about calories.

For the sugar from fruit... I believe our bodies process it the same as refined sugar however natural sugar obviously comes along with many more nutrients than other sugar. Unless you have a medical issue that causes you to watch your sugar intake I wouldn't worry about it.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I noticed that I ususally double the amount of daily recommended sugar. This is because for breakfast I juice. I usually joice a large handful of baby spinach, a banana, an orange, an handful of pineapple chunks and a some blueberries. This juice only is 59g of sugar. My daily recommendations is 30 (before adding in any exercise). I usually come in at or below my daily calorie allowance. I have been stuck in the same weight range for the last 2 years. Prior to this I did WW and have lost and gained the same 10lbs since they went the Points Plus system. I am beginning to wonder if the natural sugars is playing a bigger part than I thought. I know I did not gain all this weight from eating too many fruits, but I still wonder why I am strugglign to lose. Thoughts?

Are you tracking correctly? Weighing and measuring everything you consume? Tracking everything you consume? You can't accurately track "a handful of pineapple chunks" and a banana and orange can have more or less calories depending on the size of them.

It may be best to switch out your juice and eat real foods. You lack protein and fiber normally when you juice.

Depending on how many calories you consume in a day, you might not be consuming enough especially if you are coming in under.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

What kitchen scale are you using?
  • mjesus70
    mjesus70 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I think I will keep doing my juice. I don't do it everyday, but I really do enjoy it. I have measured it out and I was actually giving myself more calories than what it was. I do track everything I eat/drink. I weigh & measure everything. I am not sure what kind of scale I have but it is electronic and has both ounces and grams. I tend to weigh my food more often than use measuring cups because I think it is more accurate. Again, thanks for all the input.
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am also over on my sugar every day because I eat a lot of fruit. It has a lot of carbs and sugar, but who cares really! It is fruit! It is good for you. It has so many vitamins, fiber, etc. Everything in moderation, of course. But you should always have at least 2 to 3 servings a day. Your juice is making you healthy, I wouldn’t stop drinking that. Your body thanks you! :)
  • ashleymcn01
    ashleymcn01 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Around a year ago I purchased a Vitamix and made a smoothie everyday. Ironically, I felt more bloated than before the smoothies but felt the sugars vs. the good I was doing for my body would even itself out. I had to make a decision to cut back on the amount of fruit I was using, and eventually stopped making them everyday. In my experience, I had too much of a good thing and actually gained a few pounds when I ate too much fruit. In the end, there has to be a healthy balance. Have your juice, maybe add more greens to the mix and not as much fruit, or at least halve your fruits so there is not as much sugar.