Low carb help!

Options
Hi my name is Megan and I am a mom of an awesome 1 year old named Olivur! Anyhow, I need some help with low carb quick snacks. Everything for breakfast that I can easily take somewhere with me is FULL of carbs. Now, if you know the adjusted digestible carbs for a higher carb snack or food, please post it. Also, if the snack or food has higher carbs BUT the serving is a lot, that counts too. Here is what I would love to see posted: Low carb snacks, recipes, full meal recipes, ADC high carb foods or Adjusted Digestible Carbs. A little insight into ADC for those interested in low carb/sugar diet or just starting out, ADC just means the carbs that actually get digested and go into the bloodstream, things such as fiber are indigestible so therefore you would subtract the grams of fiber from the grams of carbs. Low carb/low sugar diets are recommended for diabetics, borderline diabetics, and those who store fat around their midsection such as the belly, arms, neck, and face. Can't wait to see some of the posts!
**Any flavor Light and Fit Greek yogurt 8carbs and 7sugars
**Dream fields pasta 4 digestible carbs per serving

Replies

• kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/snack_recipes.html

There's a ton of low carb snack recipes at this link
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I love "portable protein" like hard boiled eggs and beef jerky (I make it myself to avoid nasty chemicals, but occasionally resort to the regular store-bought stuff). Also, I make a big batch of chicken salad on the weekend and take single servings of it with me when I'm on the go.
  • U222033
    U222033 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am hyperglycemic and I am on a low carb/sugar diet. I eat lots of fruits(low in sugar fruits like blackberries and raspberries) and vegetables to get fiber in my diet to keep me full. I also eat alot of protien to curb the hunger. If I eat any grains at all I go for whole grain and read the labels so I know what I am eating, if you can find some with nuts/flax in the breads.
    Drink lots of water, most of the time we mistake hunger for thirst. So if you feel hungry drink a full glass of water and wait 15 minutes. Then your body will have time to distinguish the difference.

Also,

Hi everyone, I am new to fitness pal. I am using this site to track my health and keep on track. I am here to maintain a healthy life style and I am a great person to come to for fitness advice, recipes and support. Please add me :) The more people you surrond yourself with support and positivity, it will make your journey easier and more obtainable.

God Bless
    Jess :)
  • OliesMommy0109
    Options
    Ok here is one of my faaaavorite recipes!
    Jamaican Jerk Pork or Chicken
    -4 boneless pork loin/chicken breast
    -any Jamaican or Caribbean seasoning
    -cinnamon
    -olive oil
    Cover the meat on both sides with jerk seasoning, be careful, it is spicy, so add to your specific taste.
    Sprinkle cinnamon lightly over each side
    Heat olive oil in large skillet
    Brown meat on each side and turn heat to medium
    Make sure meat is fully cooked and enjoy!
    **The moral of this recipe is, don't be afraid of spices!! Spices are a great way to add flavor and taste to your meals without adding butter, salt, or any other carb/fat filled flavor enhancers. Curry is a wonderful powerful flavor that goes great with coconut! A curry coconut crusted chicken is absolutely delicious! Don't be afraid of to try new things!!
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/snack_recipes.html

There's a ton of low carb snack recipes at this link

Thanks...I just checked it out and there are lots of great ideas here. I have to watch carbs, too, so this is helpful.
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Kale chips make a pretty good snack (takes hardly any time to make)

Just pick some kale off stem, sprinkle with one table spoon of olive oil, and a dash of sea salt...Then toss it in the oven and bake till lightly browned (yummy!)

40g of Fresh Kelp has 3 net carbs, 21 calories and one gram of fiber, and the nutritional value of the olive oil you use will vary brand to brand. For the sake of an example / rough estimate I'll just plug in the values of the one I use : 1tsb olive oil : 120 calories, 14 grams of fat (nothing else.)

Add together and this tasty snack comes out at about 141 calories, 14 grams of fat, and 3 net carbs

There is a low carb group around here that post really helpful stuff , I'd take a look around there if you have the time.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/411-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group-
  • rebeccalouisemellor
    Options
    I'm on a really low carb diet just now as well and it's so hard! All I am craving is carbs so today I totally slipped up and hae eaten 10 bowls of granola and fruit :| but oh well. I think the tip is eating a lot of protein!
  • OliesMommy0109
    Options
    Thanks everyone, really helpful! I too loooove beef jerky! lol. I try to eat a lot of whole grain and I know there is a bread that is extremely low carb, I will have to find the name of it, it's pretty good too. Weird texture but still pretty good when you can't really have breads lol. OH! And Condiments that are suuuper good are Horseradish sauce by Kraft and Dijonaise by Hellmans. Awesome with roastbeef wraps or turkey wraps! Spicy though so watch out! Haha.

Ok, Curry coconut crusted chicken as promised.
    *As many chicken breasts as you need
    *Yelow Korma Simmer sauce (yellow curry with coconut and milk)
    *Raw shredded coconut

-Pre-heat oven to 400 degreese
    -Grill chicken breast until they are just about done
    -Slice or keep whole
    -Place simmer sauce in sauce pan
    -Simmer until thinner, I like to add 3 tbsp of milk and extra curry powder!
    -Place chicken breasts or pieces in sauce
    -Coat with coconut on ONE SIDE and put in baking dish coconut side up
    -bake at 400 until coconut is browned, this will happen kind of fast so check it after about 5 minutes!

****There are also 2 other simmer sauces, Green which is good with pork, and red which is good with beef!
  • OliesMommy0109
    Options
    Rebecca I know it is hard! My doctor sad that people who crave carbs is the equivalent of an alcoholic craving alcohol! I find that eating carbs actually makes my mood change! I get depressed and sluggish and have NO energy! Exercising helps a lot too. You feel better and clean and it honestly helps! If you crave carbs like I do REEAALLLYY badly lol. I find that Dream Fields pasta does the trick for me. Either red sauce or I like to toss in Pork or chicken medallions and add Seeds of Change Korma simmer sauce, it is a curry based sauce that comes in 3 different flavors. Yellow, which is a mild coconut flavor awesome with chicken, green curry with is a medium tangy flavor that goes amazing with pork, and red which is a more spicy flavor that goes amazingly with beef! It really helps me so I hope it helps you!
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Rebecca I know it is hard! My doctor sad that people who crave carbs is the equivalent of an alcoholic craving alcohol! I find that eating carbs actually makes my mood change! I get depressed and sluggish and have NO energy! Exercising helps a lot too. You feel better and clean and it honestly helps! If you crave carbs like I do REEAALLLYY badly lol. I find that Dream Fields pasta does the trick for me. Either red sauce or I like to toss in Pork or chicken medallions and add Seeds of Change Korma simmer sauce, it is a curry based sauce that comes in 3 different flavors. Yellow, which is a mild coconut flavor awesome with chicken, green curry with is a medium tangy flavor that goes amazing with pork, and red which is a more spicy flavor that goes amazingly with beef! It really helps me so I hope it helps you!

I find that one carb source that actually HELPS my mood is sweet potatoes! I make a sweet potato pie on the weekends and eat it all week.

Bake some sweet potatoes until soft.
    Take skin off and mix insides with coconut milk (full fat canned stuff) and cinnamon.
    Put back in the oven until it starts to brown a little on top.

I reheat it with a little butter and eat it that way. Hubs eats it cold with no butter.

Just curious, what is everyone's idea of "low carb"? I don't intentionally eat VLC, but instead I just stay away from processed foods and keep my carbs in check (for example, I don't eat 3 servings of the sweet potato pie in one day!). My carbs tend to stay around 50-100g/day without me even trying. Also, they are generally only about 20% of my calories. Fat is generally 65%. Protein is 15%. Please do NOT try to do LC and Low-fat. Be sure to eat plenty of healthy fats to fuel your body, like avocado, coconut, butter, olive oil...etc.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

SNIP
    Just curious, what is everyone's idea of "low carb"? I don't intentionally eat VLC, but instead I just stay away from processed foods and keep my carbs in check (for example, I don't eat 3 servings of the sweet potato pie in one day!). My carbs tend to stay around 50-100g/day without me even trying. Also, they are generally only about 20% of my calories. Fat is generally 65%. Protein is 15%. Please do NOT try to do LC and Low-fat. Be sure to eat plenty of healthy fats to fuel your body, like avocado, coconut, butter, olive oil...etc.

THIS^^. DO NOT eat low carb and low fat at the same time. Unhealthy and will make you a very unpleasant person to be around, I guarantee it. Your body doesn't need carbs, but it does need healthy saturated fats.

My personal idea of low carb is under 150g. I stay between 50-100 most days. On my lifting days I eat a bit more carbs (meaning a nice baked sweet potato and perhaps a piece of fruit in addition to my usual intake), and a bit less on the days when I don't lift.