Trying to get back please help!!!!!

Options
Lost my way and now I’m back, but this time I think I’m more determined to stick with it. I want to start eating more healthy more fruits, vegetables, and protein, but don’t have any idea what to make since I’m not a good cook and I really don’t have any time to prepare a 2 hour dish. Only an hour to make it and eat since I work all day then have to go to school all night and usually my idea of a dinner is the quickest and easiest thing to eat which is usually fast food. Please help any ideas?????????

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Get a crockpot and use that. You can put meat and veggies in it, set it and than it's done when you get home.

Or take a day a week and do a lot of cooking, chopping veggies, etc. That way you just grab a meal, heat up and eat.
  • thejackfact
    thejackfact Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You have lots of friends, have you scoured their diaries for fast ideas?

Our favorites..... deli sliced roast beef in a wrap or pocket, nitrate free deli meats from Walmart, egg white and veggies and toast from breakfast, roast chicken from the store, salad....the list of fast and easy goes on and on.
  • witchieboo
    witchieboo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I never take two hours to cook diner. My family won't eat anything to fancy. I often broil my meat, if fried I use very little oil. I don't use heavy sauces.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    you think you're determined?
  • rlp5711
    rlp5711 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend an electric pressure cooker.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Hungry girl has a lot of good, healthy recipes that take less than 10 minutes to make. Add a side of veggies (boiled carrots, steamed broccoli, etc.) and you've got an easy, balanced meal quickly.
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    We eat a ton of stir-fry in my house. Either I buy a bunch of fresh veggies and prepare them on the weekends to use throughout the week, or I just buy bags of frozen mixed veggies. For a simple sauce, I use soy sauce, rice vinegar, lemon juice, ginger, garlic and a small spoonful of brown sugar. Sometimes I'll add a spoonful of peanut butter or hoisin for a different flavor. Really easy to experiment with and you can use all sorts of different proteins.
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Tastykitchen.com is also a great site for recipes. :smile:
  • schaskes
    schaskes Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    First of all, great job asking for help when you need it. There are really fabulous resources on here, and I would also recommend the website skinnytaste.com. My suggestion is to PLAN ahead on the weekends or whenever you have time for quick, easy, portable (if you need that) meals. Write it down, buy the stuff, and then eat what you planned. Some ideas are pre-cooked rotisserie chicken, ground turkey taco salad, salad-in-a-bag with meat or fish, greek yogurt with fruit and low-cal cereal (I like Kashi Go-Lean). Eggs/egg whites are also a super easy snack or meal for lots of protein and very low calories.
    If you want to add me as a friend, you may - I cook a lot, but I also have a full-time job and a family, so I'm not spending 2 hours cooking! A crock pot can also be helpful, but I'm not sure if you like to eat the same things over and over (I wouldn't), so that might not be as effective if you're only cooking for yourself.