No longer using MFP's calorie calculator

Options
I have been suspicious for awhile that MFP was giving me too many calories for exercises done, but I wasn't willing to give up those extra food calories. Now that I feel I'm plateau-ing or have been for awhile, it is time to get honest. Today I worked out on my home elliptical that doesn't allow you to program in age or weight, but does include a HRM chest strap. I think I read somewhere that machines are set to calculate calories burned based on a 150lb person. Since I'm heavier then that, I took the calories that it said I burned (180) and divided it by the 150 to get 1.2 cal. Then I multiplied that by MY weight (198.5) and got the result of 238 cal. Interestingly enough the calorie calculator on Shape.com (I have the widget on my homepage) gave me the same result, while MFP said 30 min on an elliptical at my weight and age burned 405 cal. I'm going to start going with Shape.com and hopefully I'll start seeing some more results. Hope this helps anybody else who's been confused and suspicious about MFP's numbers!

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    MFP's numbers are an estimate based off of an average, just like shape.com. The only accurate way to calculate them is a HRM.
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I never checked anywhere else for calories burned but MFP worked for me!
  • VJ150
    VJ150 Posts: 453
    Options
    I use a HRM to calculate my calories burned. It gives me an accurate count instead of using an average based off a body weight and type that doesn't even resemble mine.
  • Youshagbaby
    Options
    Hello Fiskmama,

I have used several methods for getting the 'right' cal number. I have several hrm that come close being accurate. However, I have had my Polar and Garmin read the same number while the treadmill would read another. They both took my age, height and weight into account, but calculate different. I have noticed that the cal's from MFP is off. However, sometimes it's higher and more often it's lower that actual. I think that their 'guideline' numbers are fair, but do not always take into account the intensity of your workout. I hope you do not become too disenchanted with the MFP calorie calculator so as to give up on the program altogether.